Airflow question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have this chevy body I'm going to use with my 2.5r and I want some opinions on what I should do about airflow in the chassis. I was thinking instead of doing a hole in the windshield having it in the passenger window so its blowing right into the airfilter and should carry over to the block just fine. What do you guys think?

photo22_zpse460252a.jpg

That works too. There will always be air getting up under the body as well, so you don't NEED to cut extra holes unless you're having some higher than desired temps. Make sure there is an exit spot for the warm air behind the engine though.

More airflow never hurts though....so cut wherever you want to ;-)

That's reasonable, I guess what I'll do is see how the temps are for break in before I modify the chassis any more. I do believe this new body will allow more air to come from under the body than the stock does. The back is pretty open too.

photo20_zpsdf29258d.jpg

Here's the album for my pede. Plenty of pictures.
http://s183.beta.photobucket.com/user/andydrew39219/library/RC truck

You should have plenty of airflow there. Was hard to tell from the front shot. Looked almost as if the engine was inside the cab ;-)

That's what I was hoping for. Can't wait till spring time to break the new engine in. It needs just a couple of small things and its rtr.

Why wait? Wrap the cooling head and run that sucker ;-)

Yeah, it's been killing me but I think I'll just wait until it warms up outside. I Don't want to compromise the engine in any way. I don't exactly have enough space to break it in with all the snow either.

You can wrap the head and do it in the cold, but it's not a great idea, especially in the snow:)

Yeah, it's been killing me but I think I'll just wait until it warms up outside. I Don't want to compromise the engine in any way. I don't exactly have enough space to break it in with all the snow either.

A good way to go about a break in!! Good for you for having the restraint to wait till warmer temps. I would also think, given how open the bed is, you really shouldnt need to cut out too many (if any) windows to keep it cool

If you really want to cut a whole in the body (I also don't think you need to either) but if you want I think you should cut it in the windshield so you can refuel without removing the body.

I already got the re-fueling situation figured out. If you guys look closely the windows are cut out a little to allow a zip tie in one side then a fuel hose on the other. No way would I have it so I had to take the body off to refuel. That's about the most annoying thing to me when bashing.

if you do cut a hole, do some ducting. use like a toilet paper roll for mockup or something, that way you can direct the airflow exactly were you want it to go. in and out of the body of the truck.

I thought about trying that sotvo but I was worried it would create too much drag so I decided against it. Plus, I have my old body cut open front and back and it has pretty good cooling already. I do live up north though, so even the summer isn't very hot to need special cooling.

Last edited:
this works pretty good

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 118
In your car you've got already enough air, not unlike with my savage X the air cleaner is inside the body shell that's why I make some modification, direct air to my air clener. It serve as an air scoop on the side.
DSC_0014-1.jpg

I have taken scoops into consideration but I noticed with my original stampede body that when I try to do a top speed run the body will end up shaking the entire vehicle as it's moving. I would assume this drag would become worse with a scoop of some sort. This is my original stampede body,

frontvent.jpg

rearvent.jpg

As you can see my "exit" hole is at least twice the size of the "entry" hole. I want good airflow but I don't want excessive drag.

I cut a sunroof scoop in my revo and it seems to work just fine. I have to assume it isn't helping much though. With a proper tune and proper use your engine should not overheat under an uncut body, just make sure you've trimmed the front bumper area and have the body up a little.

I always put holes in the windshild of my body's & a hole in the Back of the body So the warm air can excape... & I run NORM TEMPS " I look @ this way the more air the better for the engine "