AE RC8T question?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I need some help....
I bought the AE RC8T RTR about a month ago and I am tired of the pistol starter thing, so I just ordered a OFNA starter box.
My question is.... Do I need to change anything on my engine?
I spoke to somebody before I ordered the starter box and they told me I might have to change the back plate on the engine. The only thing is that I am not sure if I have to or don't. If I do, what, or which, or where do I get it from?
I remember him telling me that I might get alittle more power out of my engine. The Engine it has came with the truggy, I think its a PRO .21. Any help? Thanks
pistolpete

From my experiences all engines come with a one way bearing on the onboard starter mechanism, so that you can use a starter box even with a pull/roto start system on there. I'm not sure about the performance thing with changing the back plate, however it could remove a potential leak.

When you get the starter box put the truggy on it and see if the flywheel reaches the starter wheel. If it does then your good to go, if it doesn't you'll need to lower the motor in the chassis, which will require a backplate and possibly cutting the crank to fit it.
What you can also do is it might be possible to put a larger flywheel on it, like the Hyper (Hobao) flywheel.

The flywheel on the engine won't touch the rubber wheel on the starter box unless you press down on the car while it's on the box, just wanted to clarify that. The AE should be setup to run with a starter box as is, all you might have to do is rearrange the pins that hold your specific car in place.

Switching out the back plate removes unnecessary rotating mass from the truck and from the engine specifically. You might be gaining more power but what I really think is going on is with less weight for the engine to rotate you're getting a faster throttle response and the car accelerates quicker.

The back plate is screwed in-place of the stock plate and it won't eliminate the possibility of leaks completely, you should consider sealing it just the same.

good explaination

good tip for your truck

Last edited by a moderator: