4x2 vs. 4x4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnut143

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Read a thing online about Toyota Tacoma's and they mention 4x2 as a drive option. Whats is it and how does it differ from a four wheel drive truck? Is it just another way to say 2WD?

It's another way to say 2WD just like 4x4 is another way to say 4WD.

It's a marketing ploy to make you think your getting something other than a base truck. Honestly, I could never own a truck without 4wd unless I lived in an area where it never snowed. If I use 4wd once or twice a year I consider it worth the extra money I shelled out for it.

It's a marketing ploy to make you think your getting something other than a base truck. Honestly, I could never own a truck without 4wd unless I lived in an area where it never snowed. If I use 4wd once or twice a year I consider it worth the extra money I shelled out for it.

Exactly my friend. My wife and I both drive 4WD trucks and like you said, if you use them only 1 or 2 times a year, it is worth it. We drive to PA at least 5 times a year to ski and we have to use the 4WD everytime. Worth the extra cash IMO.

Tom

Maybe their just being honest, most 4x4s today without diff mods when in 4wheeldrive only one front and one back wheel spin.

is it really a truck if it isnt 4wd??? :D
What he said!

Bought the 'ol lady a '83? '84? Buick Regal at an auction years ago. She was off looking at something else while I was bidding. First thing she said was "It's too big!" (No the car.)

Now she has a full sized Bronco. It came from an auction. Little girl is about 5' 6", 100lbs? Can barely get in it, but she was all over it before the bidding started.
No way she would go back to anything 2 wheel drive.
Might need 4 wheel drive 5 or 6 times a year here.

Last edited:
Maybe their just being honest, most 4x4s today without diff mods when in 4wheeldrive only one front and one back wheel spin.

ummm what? There are 3 settings of 4 wheel drive that I know of. part time (locks the rear axle to the front axle), full time (all wheels are drive and axles arent locked together) and 4lo (axles are locked i believe and you get more torque) Most hardcore off roaders instal lockers in the rear differential so that when one wheel goes off of the ground power can still be transfered to the other wheel.

I'm not sure what you meant by only one front and one back wheel spin....

If it doesn't have posi-traction, only one wheel will spin on the front or back. (locked rear-end?) Just got the spyder gears?
Still considered a 4 wheel drive.

Lockers are sort of a hard core posi-traction?
Posi-traction or limited slip has a clutch (guess ya would say) in the rears. One tire slips, the rear end engages both of them.
A locker eliminates the clutch. When it catches there is no chance of only one wheel spinning.

Somebody help me out here. Hard to explain.

Put one in 4-wheel low. It's like first gear on the tranny. Real slow. But plenty of pull.

is it really a truck if it isnt 4wd??? :D
Yes they are. I have an F150 that is 2wd and gets as good a mileage rating as a lot of the "toy" pickups that are imported.

This is not really 100% true. The physics behind an "open" diff cause it to transfer equal torque to each axle. If one wheel is off the ground and is transfering zero torque to the ground, then it's true that the other wheel will get zero torque as well. If one wheel is spinning on something slippery (like ice) and it's only transferring 20 lb-ft to the ground, then the other wheel will also get 20 lb-ft of torque. So while one wheel is spinning wildly and only putting down 20 lb-ft to the ground it is important to understand that the other wheel is also putting 20 lb-ft to the ground. While this setup will not provide optimal traction the non-spinning wheel should be considered a driven wheel because it is providing some torque.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm

A limited slip rear contains clutch packs that force both wheels to spin at the same rate when slippage occurs.

I'm looking @ GMC trucks right now, and it's a pain.
SP wants to sell me a 2WD, I want a 4WD...

New Style - Classic... I can't decide :(

My old jeep cherokee broke me when it comes to 4WD - the first vehicle I had with 4WD and as many stated above, I won't have another w/o it!

-Michael

I've got 4WD in my Durango, and so far haven't had to use it. It has the 2Hi-4Hi-N-4Lo transfer case (I think it's the NV232, but not sure... Mopar confuses me). It's the same transfer case as on many Jeeps.

Either way, it's come in handy more times than not; Goin fishin in some of the little out-of-the-way places I go to, it helps.

I've got 4WD in my Durango, and so far haven't had to use it. It has the 2Hi-4Hi-N-4Lo transfer case (I think it's the NV232, but not sure... Mopar confuses me). It's the same transfer case as on many Jeeps.

Either way, it's come in handy more times than not; Goin fishin in some of the little out-of-the-way places I go to, it helps.

What year is your durango? My 96 jeep grand cherokee has the 242 which is a step up from the 232.

My 94 Grand had a 249, I just sold it with 108k on the clock.

What year is your durango? My 96 jeep grand cherokee has the 242 which is a step up from the 232.

It's a '99, with the 5.2L Magnum V8. Pretty much has all the options; portable gas station not included. I'd have to check the owners manual to find out which one it is, but the knob has the pattern like this:

2HI
|
4HI ("Part Time 4WD" light on dash comes on)
|
--N
...|
...4LO

I'm looking @ GMC trucks right now, and it's a pain.
SP wants to sell me a 2WD, I want a 4WD...

New Style - Classic... I can't decide :(

Same thing here. I am helping my parents find a new GMC truck. It is down to the test drive now. We have sat in both the classic and new style. We are looking at diesel, but the main concern is the noise inside the cab. So far we have narrowed it down to a GMC 2500HD 4x4, crew cab, long bed, in RED.

Same thing here. I am helping my parents find a new GMC truck. It is down to the test drive now. We have sat in both the classic and new style. We are looking at diesel, but the main concern is the noise inside the cab. So far we have narrowed it down to a GMC 2500HD 4x4, crew cab, long bed, in RED.

I like the new style better, nicer cockpit and better workmanship (supposedly that is a lie in itself).
A 2500HD would be too much for a dumptruck, that drives less than 50 miles a week... and a Diesel is just too loud.
I also don't need the crew cab and no long bed.

Looks like I'm gonna fall for one of the new style teasers in the fall when they crank out rebates like crazy to make the quotas. I'm leaning towards the 2WD, I drove both types and don't see whats so amazing about a 4WD that will twist the truck around like a banana. A buddy just bought the new Tundra, and I guess for me to warm up with that rig will be a few years.

Good luck on the purchase .21Rc10GT, keep walking out, I'm amazed how bendable prices are, even after several years in this industry.

Back