4.6 vs 5.9

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwest2009

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Is it really worth it I have a 4.6 in my savage x but it kinda has a hard time pushing my tires. Granted I have not tuned it yet but would buying a 5.9 really make a big difference. If so what off beat brands are the best because hpi's are a litle spendy. Ty for the help

Tuning your engine is definately where I would start though I am not sure if dropping in a 5.9 would make a huge difference. Anyone know ?

My 4.6 has tons of power after tuning it.
Buy a temp guage.

What's the main purpose of the temp gauge

To test the temperature of the engine. Justin the person who posted this thread is a buddy of mine "actually the person who got me into RC" he was into electric and I am into nitro and me and a few buddies swayed him over to nitro after running over his electric RC one time and breaking the “S” out of it.

Back to your question of a temp gauge, after running your car for awhile take the engines temperature. If it reads between 190 and 250 your fine, anything between those 2 numbers is personal preference I like numbers in the low 200's and mine runs at around 215 but anywhere in between 190 and 250 is fine the only difference is if your engine runs more towards 190 the engine will last longer because it is getting more lubrication but more towards 250 gives you more power and better acceleration. Anything above 250 and you’re wearing out your engine so richen up the mixture and anything below 190 is to rich and you need to lean it out. Once you get good you can do it all by listening just like I do with real cars.