30 years of dust but still working

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacks9930

Vroom Vroom Beep Beep
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I pulled my late father's old HO Scale train set out of storage and set it up. The last time I seen it set up was over 30 years ago. I was a little disappointed when I hooked everything up and nothing happen. Out of the 3 engines only one had a motor that worked but it had some striped gears. So after a some parts swapping I got one working. I looked on E Bay for some used trains so I can get some parts. I couldn't believe a new engines are $150-$400.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Awesome man!!! I love trains and still have my old HO set from when I was a kid. I usually only break mine out during the holidays though anymore.

I found my dad's Lionel train set in his attic. Its a 1513S outfit he got as a kid back in 1953. Works like a champ, I've been replacing the damaged and missing original boxes. Its been a really fun project.

When I was a kid I use to pile a bunch of cars and stuff on the track and ram it with the train. Now I wish I took better care of the set then, I wouldn't have to fine so many parts now

I found my dad's Lionel train set in his attic. Its a 1513S outfit he got as a kid back in 1953. Works like a champ, I've been replacing the damaged and missing original boxes. Its been a really fun project.

that does sound like fun!

---------- Post added at 4:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:39 PM ----------

When I was a kid I use to pile a bunch of cars and stuff on the track and ram it with the train. Now I wish I took better care of the set then, I wouldn't have to fine so many parts now

Yeah I'm in the same boat... crashing the trains into stuff was a blast though!! LOL

30 years of dust??? It must not be anything belonging to Rolex, lol. I also did the ramming speed Hot Wheels vs. HO train.

Unless it's a 1:1 about 100 yards from your front door....

I used to never care much for train sets but the last few years I've come to respect and enjoy them much more. Wouldn't mind having a little setup if I had the room.

Man I wish I had a picture of this guy Charlie's set, he was the neighborhood good do'er where I grew up as a kid,this is a neighborhood that has turned to crap but he always was cleaning up and helping people,his whole attic was used in the build and was truely spectacular! ..even as a young kid I greatly appreciated the time,patience, skill involved,...rip charley man...

Cool that you got it all out and working jacks!..brought back a memory for me man, thanx

I used to never care much for train sets but the last few years I've come to respect and enjoy them much more. Wouldn't mind having a little setup if I had the room.

Trains have gone hi tech these days too....and I think that's what got me to get the lionel set I have. With all the real train sounds, crew dialog and led lights they are really fun to play with. I have the train master system too, so I can use a remote to run the trains which is really neat. The kids love it when I set it up.

I have been throwing the idea around to set it up in the garage. I would like to make so it would fold down from a wall to make an 8'X12' table. Folded up it wouldn't take up more then a 1' against the wall. Just like my dad had it set up in the basement so many year ago.

I'm reading this and all that runs through my head are scenes from superman returns, when Kevin spacey does his crystal thingie, and Beatle juice movie.

I know this is an old thread, but I am actually getting into HO trains for the first time. Recently talking with the wife about hobbies she mentioned she would get into trains, so I snagged her a lot of HO stuff for her birthday. Then like a week later I find another ad for a lot, the guy only wanted 20$ for an entire set up they made out of wood with a felt cover, a train containing 7 cars total, raisers for second level tracks, power supply and track switches, and also a ton of this track I have never seen that is raised and framed in an integrated fashion.

So at this point, 80$ later we have 3+ trains worth of engines and cars and probably almost 100 track pieces or more with about 4 power supplies switches and a bunch more of stuff I do not even know about. Some of the stuff is still new in the package including different special track pieces....

So I am a super newb at this trying to figure all of it out. There are a few different connectors I understand for the cars. I really wanted one of those old school steam style engines but none have the same hitch, so I was considering buying one anyway and customizing it to work for me. For some reason people have been liquidating this stuff lately for cheap money in my areas.. Though I see on Ebay that it is quite expensive at times for even a few cars...

I meant to post pictures with this but I have not even gone through it all and sorted it yet...

Here are pictures. The tote is full over a foot deep in track parts of all kinds, I also took a zoom in for this other style track I got recently...
DSC05054.JPG

DSC05055.JPG

Then there are the engines...Three, all functional, however the Chessie System is super slow...
DSC05056.JPG

13 cars...
DSC05057.JPG

Outside of that it is odds and ends, a bag full of tiny parts, switches etc, and 3 power supplies, 2 of which were new in the box.... The cars have logs and other accessories as well...

Back