.18 for HPI MT2 RTR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincemaxx119

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey everyone. Haven't posted in quite some time, hope everyone is doing okay. I have an HPI MT2 RTR and am looking for a .18 pullstart w/ slide carb for it. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Okay then, how about somebody refer me to a good rotary-carb .18?

Okay, we have an engine. Now what makes this engine such a better buy than the other .18's out there?

the os stamped on the side great engine loads of power and reliable as heck seen some of em go for a really long time

should mount right up the only thing would be the shaft in which the clutch runs on i havent a clue wat the clutch in a hpi mt2 looks like ima do some resaerch

what size was the stock mill?

I've been researching for a little while now, the stocker was a .15, rotary carb.

I am lead to believe the rotary carb is a bit dated and not as good as the slide carb. The OS in the link above has a slide carb and a threaded crankshaft.

you sadi slide so i found that one they make the same with a rotory what is your crankshaft like i cannot find that info

you can have the 18 cvrx slide or rotary carb, but you can put whichever of 'em in your mt2 i think , i think its the same platform than the rs4 3 and it probably came with a set of extra servo arms to make the slide carb conversion, its just an arm that mounts 90* offset the brake arm instead of right over it.

go see that link it shows a picture of how to switch to slide carb
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/nmt2/MT2_33.jpg

thats the model with the right crank and carb #11880

http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2104.html

Last edited:
I think you will just be generally annoyed trying to mount up a slide carb on the MT2. The performance gains are minimal. Especially when your talking off road basher. If you were an on road racer, then it would matter more. Slide carbs are just more precise and have a cleaner transition when opening the throttle. At WOT, performance is the same for the most part.

I'd stick with a rotary. You can get a slide to work, but it will require an awkward angle of the carb in the engine and it will still be off enough to cause binding over time. Slides like to work when they are pulled perfectly straight. Any off kilter pressure causes premature wear.

The OS 18CVR is a very solid and reliable engine.

I'd also suggest a new pipe/header if your running stock. If I remember correctly, the MT2 came with a really crappy header and a not so good composite exhaust pipe. Getting a nice flowing header and tuned pipe will really wake up any engine. Not doing it with a 18 would be a complete waste of the engine. The stock pipe/header will really limit power.

Ill be on-road mostly if not all the time. Thank you all very much for the help. My main concern was a servo arm that would allow a slide carb to work, but that has been answered. Thank you all very much.