Go Back   RCNitroTalk > R/C Forums > Electric RC Talk

Power Supply

Discussion in Electric RC Talk forum, started by LarryA.

Unread 6-29-2003, 7:58 AM   #1
LarryA
RCNT Talkaholic

Trader Feedback: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Power Supply

Hopefully someone knows how this stuff works electricaly and can help out. I have a computer power supply and a power supply that runs my electric cooler. Both are 12V DC output. I would like to know if either or both of these can be used to power my Peak Chargers from house current. I'm not into this electrical thing so I don't want to try it without knowing. How can I tell if they will be any good for this use? Having to use a battery to charge batteries is kind of defeating the purpose. I've been using a deep cycle 12V battery confiscated from my camper but would rather not keep using this and I don't like having this battery sitting around in the house (I don't have the luxary of having a garadge or special work area for my R/C stuff). A little background, the charging is mainly for transmitter/receiver/and several 1500 mAH battery packs.
Thanks

Unread 6-29-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
robriguez
Its good to be the king!

Trader Feedback: (9)
Although you may have a 200-400Watt power supply for your computer...the amperage required to run a charger is almost non existant.

Unread 6-29-2003, 6:39 PM   #3
LarryA
RCNT Talkaholic

Yeah, but that still doesn't tell me if either of these supply will work. I suppose there is one way to find out?

Unread 6-29-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
El Pirata
Hardcore RCNT User

Experience: I am an experienced RC driver
You'll probably end up frying your charger. You can pick up an AC adaptor at Radio Shack for like $70 however Tower has an AC/DC peak charger for like $30. It's the one I personbally have and while not having frills it does the job I need it to do.

Unread 6-30-2003, 5:14 AM   #5
LarryA
RCNT Talkaholic

Last night I tried the AC adapter I have for a Coleman 12 volt cooler. It worked pretty good and I saw no indication of problems. I don't think I'm going to make a habit of using the adapter though. I need that for my cooler and don't want anything happening to it for the sake of R/C battery charging.
Thanks.

Unread 4-01-2004, 8:48 PM   #6
CNSelf
RCNT Rookie

LarryA - did you ever try the computer power supply? I've got a spare 250w here out of a computer I just overhauled - 12vdc/8a... wondering if it could do the same thing.

Unread 4-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
mattyk6
RCNT Champion

Yes, you can convert a PC Power Supply to power a 12 volt charger and other accessories. You can even have a 3.3v and a 5v lead as well. But, you have to mod the power supply.

http://www.magicookie.com/prodigy/psupply.htm

Unread 4-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
mcvickj
Hardcore RCNT User

Trader Feedback: (6)
Go to ebay and do a search for cosel. There is a seller by the name of ramboy who sells these 12V 13amp power supplies for like $20 bucks. All you need to do is cut one end off a computer power supply cord and wire it in. Very simple to do. I have been very happy with mine.