(Old) Revo 2.5R Engine Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevoME

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi Folks,

2.5R Engine, less than 20 tanks on it, clean and no signs of damage.

Manual states 4 turns out on the HSN and straight and flush with arm & inner ring on LSN. Done. Engine starts, warms up, and stays below 240 all the way while driving it. OAT today @ 30 fahrenheit.
This guy really rips, but I assume I am loosing some exhaust pressure to a somewhat whimpy fuel door seal (smoke coming from it when closed)
Engine was acting fine but stalled twice during WOT (on solid ice) and right after letting go after a high speed run.
It idles somewhat high, and reacts tremendously to the throttle trim.
Also my EZ start seems to be stripped, previous owner had it disabled and used a dubro ignitor. It will start the engine after a while, though.

1. What am I doing wrong with this engine, 2 stalls in 13 minutes, high and low end? Checked for air leaks, could I be looking at fuel foaming? I am usually very good with engine tuning, but this guy boggles my mind :eek:(

2. How do I get the left rear upper arm out to replace/ remove that EZ Start? BTW, I'll be looking for one to replace the whole assembly, I can clearly hear it cut out occasionally, and no I won't use a PS.

Any checks or adjustments you would recommend? :doc:

Thanks!
REVOME

P.S. : Forgot to mention, from standstill to a punched WOT engine acts like it want's to stall too, which would indicate LSN off? I guess I'm not getting it :eek:(

Last edited:
1.The leaking tank seal is an air leak which is causing a lean condition...Time for a new tank seal. This is very common on the older 2.5 models with the blue seal, buy the orange seal.

2. Rear a arm...Remove the hinge pin and unscrew the pillow ball and it should slide right out.

here's a tip when running a nitro engine the engine should run 170 degrees above actual air tempature. example if its 30 degrees outside the motor peek operating temp should have been 200 degrees for a 30 degree day so if you were running 240 you were way beyond the optimum settings

here's a tip when running a nitro engine the engine should run 170 degrees above actual air tempature. example if its 30 degrees outside the motor peek operating temp should have been 200 degrees for a 30 degree day so if you were running 240 you were way beyond the optimum settings

Where does your tip come from? So you are tellin me that in my area, if it is 90 degrees, I need to run at 260? How did you com to this tip? I don't see the reasoning

Where does your tip come from? So you are tellin me that in my area, if it is 90 degrees, I need to run at 260? How did you com to this tip? I don't see the reasoning

that is correct for a 90 degree day your peek operating temp should be around 260 degrees plus or minus a few depending on humidity such.

that is correct for a 90 degree day your peek operating temp should be around 260 degrees plus or minus a few depending on humidity such.
Still have not answered my question.

Where does your tip come from?.

Thanks! My guess was not sooo far off then?
This is great advise! Ha, am I happy to be here!
The lean condition explains my higher than usual temp, I ran him before and he would be around 198-202 on a day like this. Checked, and sure as hell, it's a blue seal, Thanks !!
I opened up to get the temps lower... I had this on an airplane engine only once, so my experience was to rather ask than starting to replace wildly...

::2. Rear a arm...Remove the hinge pin and unscrew the pillow ball and it should slide right out.

Smaxxin, .. first time on the arms on a REVO, so I guess once I have figured out who is who (Hingepin - Jason/ Jason- Hingepin, Pillowball - Jason/ Jason - Pillowball), knowing who is where = priceless!, , it may slide right out... :eek:)))

REVOME

I was referring to my usual temps, by stating 240 in 30 degree weather.
I am getting peak performance and will richen 1/8 turn to be on the rich side.
Usual Temps, (not really depending on OAT) was always between 185 and 225if I hit 240 I begin to wonder, because from both engines I get around 200 -210 all the time.

As a kid, with RC- Planes I was told a similar rule, but never obeyed it, always better off by my own tune, as a real world pilot you learn to hate lean if you start to replace Pistons and Heads on a Continental 360KB...

So Jon, for me it would be interesting too where this rule comes from, must be old school knowledge from the past.
REVOME

Last edited:
It sounds like it's time for a new motor to me but I maybe a little byist against the 2.5 :yes:

I have managed a lot of stuff with RC's, but never had a dead engine after less than 20 tanks including breakin. Takes special skills to kill an engine that young... :eek:)
REVOME

It sounds like it's time for a new motor to me but I maybe a little byist against the 2.5 :yes:

Do you buy a new mill every time your current mill isn't running right?

LOL, don't complain about the fuelprice!
Some burn 1 Engine to half a gallon...
REVOME