I am getting out of nitro...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1500valk

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
....and have a Baja on order. But, I have always been fascinated by the 1/18 cars. I had a mini-t for about 2 weeks, but got rid of it as no hop ups were available at the time (back when they first came out). I was looking at the rc18b (factory team edition) and it seems like the best bang for the buck (I do not want an rtr as I am getting a new spektrum radio and will have an extra rx to use). I want a brushless setup, but nothing over the top. maybe $150 tops on the brushless motor and speed control. Also, no lipos. This will be run with nimh, until the new, safer, lithium batteries come out later down the road. I know, lipo is the way to go, lighter weight, more amps in a smaller size, blah blah blah. I don't trust lipos for the most part and I don't want to invest in a charger for lipos yet, I just want to keep it simple. Basically, the car, a decent, but not outrageous brushless setup, and that's it.
any ideas? Is the rc18b a decent car (I want a 4wd buggy as opposed to a stadium truck).

1500valk said:
....and have a Baja on order. But, I have always been fascinated by the 1/18 cars. I had a mini-t for about 2 weeks, but got rid of it as no hop ups were available at the time (back when they first came out). I was looking at the rc18b (factory team edition) and it seems like the best bang for the buck (I do not want an rtr as I am getting a new spektrum radio and will have an extra rx to use). I want a brushless setup, but nothing over the top. maybe $150 tops on the brushless motor and speed control. Also, no lipos. This will be run with nimh, until the new, safer, lithium batteries come out later down the road. I know, lipo is the way to go, lighter weight, more amps in a smaller size, blah blah blah. I don't trust lipos for the most part and I don't want to invest in a charger for lipos yet, I just want to keep it simple. Basically, the car, a decent, but not outrageous brushless setup, and that's it.
any ideas? Is the rc18b a decent car (I want a 4wd buggy as opposed to a stadium truck).
The RC18B is a really nice car. A couple of things need to be modified, though. First, the servo saver... ugh, it gets loose after 2 runs. Ethier do the Servo Saver Mod (click the link) or buy a 3Racing steering set-up, which comes with a steel servo saver ring. The 3Racing is the best bet, because it modifies the WHOLE steering assembly with bearings, making it steer so much smoother.

As for a good brushless set-up, I recommend the Hacke E30-13L with Quark 33a ESC Combo. I run it in my Mini Inferno, and I've gotta say, the ESC is about the best out, and you don't need to hook it up to your computer to tune it.

do these have reverse? Reverse is nice to have, since I don't plan on racing. I am amazed at how inexpensive the stuff for these 1/18ths are.

Yep, it does, it has a race setting and a reverse setting.

i really appreciate the information. I am building a data base of sorts to let me best decide how I want to go. The car is easy, rc18b, the radio: spektrum (not sure if their stock receiver will be small enough, will see when I get it). I like the fact that the rc18b factory team edition has all the good stuff on it. and lets me decide on motor, battery, sc, and radio myself.

I just bought me the 3Racing Steering stuff today. It should get rid of my Slop problem. The reciever should be small enough to fit on the top bar, but then you have to find a place for the ESC, which might be tricky. I have to buy me another Buggy mount, I broke mine :(. Some other mods for the buggy is the MIP Super Diff kit, it changes the outdrives to steel so they don't ballon out (a common problem if you don't have the outdrive collets, but I think the FT kit comes with them.).

the ft kit has metal outdrives, i think. if that helps.

well, i decided that a rc18t makes more sense. I am still going with the factory team edition, but will be going brushless. I am sure after I have the truck I will have a lot more questions. questions on motors, esc's, and pinions. that seems to be all I need to get, since the truck has all the good hopups already from the factory.

I tell you 1/1/8th cars/trucks are a load of fun,can reach insane speeds and the looks on people's faces when they see a RC18T travel at over 40MPH! Priceless

Just watch out,you buy one,and then another and another.

ok, so an rc18t with Quark 33a controller and E30-13L motor can do nearly 40 mph with a 6 or 7 volt nimh pack? Eventually, in the far future, I may go to lipos, when they get a little safer, and cheaper.
Can the quark handle more of a motor, if I decide?
And more importantly, will this speed control and motor fit in my Factory Team rc18t without modifiying anything? Just drop in? I know the speed control will, but I want to make sure the motor will work.

The Quark will handle any motor you can fit in the RC18T no problem. and Yes it is a complete drop in, I have it in my RC18T right now.

awesome. I am pretty sold on the whole deal. Now, I just need to find a decent mini servo to fit it. something that can handle 6v. coming up short on futaba.

any servo can take 6.0 volts. They have them rated at both 4.8 and 6.0 volts most of the time, but I think futaba is weird and rates them at only 4.8 volts.

well, most of their servos will take 6v, but i am only running into ones that are 4.8v (6v will shorten life, they say). What do you run in your? i don't want to spend buku bucks on a servo, say $20-$35.

I just run a stock AE Servo for now. a 6.0 volt servo will NOT suck up more energy and lower run time. I've never even seen a servo thats made for only 4.8 volts. If you cut off the servo ears and shoo-goo the servo in, you might be able to fit the HS-81 or 85 from Hitec in your 18T, but don't hold me to it.

might just go with what works, the stock ae servo. since I am going with the factory team kit, I get no electrics. I have an extra spektrum receiver, so that goes in this. I heard about this servo: HS56, hitec. but will probably just get the truck, go the LHS, see what fits.
And I had meant that 6v into some of futaba's servos will shorten their life, not the life of the batteries.
So, so far here is what I am planning on getting. RC18T FT edition. already have a spektrum radio with receiver. Quark 33a speed control and that e30 motor. Maybe a set of road rage tires for it for asphalt use. that is about it, it seems. (and the servo saver mod). (and whatever servo fits).

I can definitely say that the 3Racing steering linkage stuff is a nice set-up, and its only like $17 shipped. Fixes the servo saver and makes the steering less flexy.

Yep, thats also who I bought it from. That guy is awesome, you buy it and pay with paypal and it should be there in 2-3 days.

well i went ahead and got it. I also ordered my rc18t FT from tower yesterday. Figured I needed to get a set of road tires, so ordered a set of Integy road radials and a set of wabash proline wheels. Now, all I need to do is get my quark speed control and motor setup. I think building this little gem will be half the fun.

Back