How do you guys clean your buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Network

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
After a long race day and tons of dirt caked on your car, what is the process you do to clean it up? I have a rather dirty Mayhem sitting on my kitchen Table and I have pulled the Gas Tank/Engine/Electronics..I am tempted to drop it in the sink lol. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Travis

I take off the wheels and electronics tray and engione first. I spray the car with D/A and use a painters medium brush to scrub the dirt that is packed in. If you have a PBS set up , be careful to make sure you don;t get the Pillow balls gummed up with grime that is trickling and settlin into crevices. I check the bearings and drive lines for debris. This is for times with a few hours into the buggy or if it is just that damn dirty. Have a air compressor handy. When I am in the field I will spray the car down with D/A and have a can of compressed air. A handy thing to have.

Thank you for the response. I have a question, where I can get some D/A? Hobby Shop ofcourse does not carry it, and I know that it will help the cleaning process. I don't have an Air Compressor :(

Travis

most any home improvement shop or paint store will have it

Hoe depot. It is called Denatured Alcohol. Cheaper than buying nitro clean and you get more!! Just get an Industrial sprayer.

Thank you, I will do that when I get off work tonight :)

Travis

I take out the electronics tires and sometimes the engine. Then i take this stuff i have called WHAM its a citrus aresol foam degreaser and spray down the whole buggy. I then let it sit for a minute or 2 and then lightly scrub the whole buggy with a junk toothbrush then i spray it of with the hose i then blow dry and apply some drylube on all moving parts.

hey this is what i do kinda easier than taking evry thing out.. i have a ofna lx pro pretty good so any way when ever it gets really muddy i like 2 get cotton balls and spray it with cinch or windex (cinch is the best leaves a good scent lol) and i clean it over the open pieces and then i get a q tip and get those hard to reach spots but thats my way..

Network said:
Thank you for the response. I have a question, where I can get some D/A? Hobby Shop ofcourse does not carry it, and I know that it will help the cleaning process. I don't have an Air Compressor :(

Travis

Here in the UK automotive brake and clutch cleaners are based on isopropyl alcohol (IPA). I use this in preference to DA (aka methylated spirits) as it is very cheap to buy in gallon cans, IPA doesn't contain any nasty methanol like DA and I have had instances where DA has actually attacked certain types of polycarbonate plastics.

For soak cleaning all-metal components I use automotive panel wipe as this is a very effective degreaser and leaves absolutely no residue when dry, which helps if you are going to threadlock the components after they have been cleaned.

The "air duster" cans used for cleaning photographic and computer equipment are quite useful but somewhat expensive. Toothbrushes and pipe-cleaners are also must-have items for your pit box.

I use PTFE dry film lubricant to lubricate PBS hubs, hinge pins and CVJs. The dry lubricant that you can buy for bicycle chains might work as well.

Last edited:
i take out my electronics and my gas tank, and i take a toothbrush and paper towels and blue thunder and start scrubbing away lol

when the savage gets nasty i just take the electronics and motor off and then soak it in orange cleaner or degreaser and then hose it off.. then shake it off good then hang it up.. only had to do that once but it worked like a charm

jon2 said:
Hoe depot.

Damn!!!! I hope they open one here soon!!!

You can also get it in Walmart or your local hardware store in the paint department.

Candyman said:
Damn!!!! I hope they open one here soon!!!

You can also get it in Walmart or your local hardware store in the paint department.
LMAO!! I was wondering what the heck you were talking about.
ATTENTION! We have a blue light special on HOE's in isle 69.

I meant HOME DEPOT

beason said:
when the savage gets nasty i just take the electronics and motor off and then soak it in orange cleaner or degreaser and then hose it off.. then shake it off good then hang it up.. only had to do that once but it worked like a charm
Just make sure to clean out and re-oil the bearing and any moving parts. Rusts finds its way in the most precarious places.

Hey Jon,

What do you lube your berings and the rest of your metal parts after cleaning? Thanks
Tom

i dont know abouit jon but i use somthing called white lightning which is a teflon was lube which is a type of dry lube which is great because it wont attract dirt and dust. You can find it at your local bike shop.

can we use HAIR DRYER instead of air compressor?

:x mop :x

HP Invent said:
simple green

Good ole Simple Green, water to rinse it off & about 90 psi of air pressure...
Good to Go...

mop_iko said:
can we use HAIR DRYER instead of air compressor?

mop

The hair dryer wont work as well for removing debris, but it will help in the drying process, which is VERY important if water is ever used...

yeah mist with simple green and blast with blow gun @ 90psi and the dirt flies off!!!!

I picked up my air compressor from Costco for $90 (10 gallons, 5hp Alton compressor with kit of accessories)

Back