Battery pack suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Network

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all,

I got my Mayhem RTR yesterday and ofcourse for the break in period I have double A batteries powering my electronics. What battery pack would you guys suggest? I know the Double A's are going to get ran down rather quickly..

Travis

I use OFNA's 5 cell flat pack in my Hyper 7. It is 1400mah. Trade out the 4-pack AA cell switch for the Hitec switch so you can externally charge it, too.

Thank you for the reply.. I assume the Double A's don't have but an hour or two battery life right? I plan on breaking the motor in tonight and possibly racing this weekend (not sure if I will be able to get the battery pack before then)

Travis

How long the AA's last has a lot to do with what servos you are running. Being that this is a buggy, and the servos can be heavy duty, I would say, yes, one hour is about the SAFE limit you can expect for battery life. If you have a failsafe it will kick in when the batt level gets below eitther 4.8 or 4.0 volts, depending on who makes the FS.

I have converted all 4 of my R/C cars/trucks to batt packs with external charge plugs. I use my Revo charger to charge them all. I have never had a problem with them since.

Thank you again for the reply. Looks like I will be buying a bunch of Double A's for this weekend unless I can make it over to a hobby shop.

Travis

try to make it to the hobby shop. an additional fault of the AA pack, is that in a hard landing the batteries can pop out of the holder or lose contact with it. this will cause your several hundred $$$ toy to run away uncontrolably and cause some serious damage to it, something or someone else. if you must use the AA's, wrap a rubberband around your carb to close it in case of power loss. make sure its tight enough that it can pull the carb shut with the radio's power off.

yea corradopsi, i had that happen to me. the battery popped out of the battery holder and the radio stopped working. luckily the throttle was only at about 1/16th open. so the car wasn't going very fast. but i put my radio down and started running down my strret to catch it before it went into the main road lol! i did catch it because it was going so slow. because of that incident i run a failsafe now and i use rachargeable battery packs. and when i do use battery's, i ziptie them to the battery holder so that they dont fall out.

Yep, 1st thing I did was jerk out that AA holder and swap in a 5 cell (Nimh) hump pack. I get about 2 1/2 hrs run time before I even have to think about re-charging. It's the same pack that you would run in a Savage, about $15.00.

PS,
Check out all your screws just to be safe. I found a few ball joints a little loose. And I found that the stock tires work very well on the track (at least on my track).

Not all radio boxes are made the same. If you have one of those four banger AA jobbies where it's basically a 2x2 configuration, the normal 5 cell hump packs will work great. I have a 1100 mah one that does me just fine for my purposes. 5 minutes of run time for 3 heats and 15 min for a main. 30 min total for the day. If you want to run longer, get more mah.