New to this...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slabz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a used Savage X 4.6. Zero knowledge of RC cars. I'm wondering what would be the most effective/smartest way to do the upgrades. . Id like it be indestructible. ... We'll close enough. What would you guys recommend? My main concern is ordering the same piece twice cause I decided to do another mod that wouldn't be compatible.

Last edited:
Since you bought your truck used, I strongly recommend doing a complete tear down, cleaning and inspection.
That's what I always do when I buy used RC's.
I find the most common items I have to repair or replace are the shocks, bearings, servos and engine (p/s).
These are all items worth upgrading especially if you're replacing a part that's worn or broken

If you're using old AM /FM radio technology, a 2.4 GHZ radio is a good upgrade, along with a rechargeable receiver battery if you're currently using AA batteries.

As far as structural upgrades go, the Savage is pretty stout as it sits from what I gather. I've never actually owned one.
Bash it until something breaks, then upgrade with a better part. That's what I would do. Bash, crash, upgrade, repeat.:D

Last edited:
Thanks, I had my rc go through an inspection already and from what I understand already my engine is near mint condition and I got new servo installed, plus a roto start cause who like a pull start? As for chassis upgrades.... Wish I knew this before but Savage isn't really covered with many reliable plastic upgrades or mechanical. A buddy on mine told me to stay away from aluminum cause it bends to easy. Thinking I should've got a trax they seem to be modified easier. Thanks for the reply bud

You won't need to change anything on the Savage if you just want to have fun, I agree on the 2.4ghz TX/RX upgrade though and i did it to my Savage X 4.6 the 4.6 will outrun the 3.3 all day and the Savage is one hell of a durable MT but as far as durability goes it takes a while (it did for me) to get over the need to jump it as high as you can and drive like a crazy person in dangerous places before you realize that stock parts are as good as any for bashing. And once you realize how much money you're saving you'll be driving crazy again in no time.
Now i did notice it chews up spur gears if you get nasty with it but they are cheap and easy to replace, i bought a steel one but it's heavier and puts a beating on the clutch bell gear so i am seriously considering replacing the clutch bell and going back to plastic stock ones and just keep a few around, see what i mean about staying with stock parts! I did put the big bores on it before i ever drove it with the eight it came with (i bought mine used as well) and i have really liked them so for $30 it was worth it. LOCKTITE EVERYTHING on the chassis and all the grub screws as they will rattle out during use. Other than that i have purchased a bunch of stock parts like shock towers and bumpers so i can change them out once they get to ugly. Enjoy the MT buddy :)

I recently bought my first savage and bought w ghost at most would consider the turd in the savage family (octane). That said, I love it and am considering an x with lrp engine.

I agree about radio upgrade as well. If you need a 2.4 I have a few laying around. Let me know, I will be happy to donate to get things moving!

Last edited:
Back