Winter project has arrived

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got some more completed today, I'm really enjoying this build. Everything goes together real well it's perfect for a first kit, I'm not looking forward to cutting out the body though.

Got the shocks built. Not sure how I feel about these though, the return from full compression seems very springy. The seem to return too fast and hard, I'll see how I like them when I complete the build.

IMG_20150217_154217.JPG

Also got the links and driveshafts done. Not sure how I like the upper links either, they seem like they have way too much flex. They'll do for now, but I'll go with other members suggestions and get some metals one. Anyone know of good ones?

IMG_20150217_155058.JPG

Then I got them all installed to the axles.

IMG_20150217_155813.JPG

I still got around $230 to put into this build at this time, right now I got everything needed to get it running. I'm thinking some aluminum upper links, scale accessories, an aluminum servo horn, and a chassis mounted servo kit.
Does anyone know if the VP CMS comes with aluminum upper links? How is the RC4WD CMS kit? Should I just go with the RC4WD CMS kit and a different brand of upper links? Or leave both and get better shocks, wheels, and tires? Or leave everything stock, and just upgrade later?

I use the RC4WD CMS on my SCX-10/JK project and didn't come with anything in the way of links other than a longer steering link to go to the servo from the chassis.
20121016_161551_zps0a92907e.jpg

Good to see you making progress. I thought the same thing about the shocks, until I got them on the finished rig with a battery in it.

Oh this is going to be a slow build. My work schedule is ridiculous, I do between 8 to 12 hours a day 12 days on 2 days off. I get some work done on it when I can I might get in a couple more hours this weekend, but I worked through valentines day so today me and the fiance or going to spend the day together. Also it's my first build so I'm taking my time with it making sure its done right, so far so good.

I use the RC4WD CMS on my SCX-10/JK project and didn't come with anything in the way of links other than a longer steering link to go to the servo from the chassis.
20121016_161551_zps0a92907e.jpg

The RC4WD cms kit also would make it a panhard set up right? Which make the front end a 3 link set up correct? Am I getting that right, so which link do you lose? I was looking at the RC4WD cms kit and it says it come with 3 links, I'm thinking they may have changed it since you bought one.

I want to place an order with RPP hobbies for the cms kit but I know I'm going to end up ordering way more then just that to make the order worthwhile for me. I'm not sure I want to drop that much coin into the truck right away.

They have 2 kits. The I have that goes with the stock 3- or 4-link and then the one with the 3-link and panhard. Mine is a 4-link in the front.

Thank you I did not know that. I think I'll go with the panhard one set up.

Alright got a little more down yesterday between grocery shopping and hockey.

Transmission put together.

IMG_20150223_184656.JPG

Servo plate, servo, and steering links installed.
IMG_20150223_185211.JPG

Motor installed on transmission.

IMG_20150223_185655.JPG

Finally started to put together the chassis.

IMG_20150223_185905.JPG

And then I saw no point in taking picturesafter this until I was done for the night.

IMG_20150223_190238.JPG

Now quick question. If I want to put the battery up front do I need to relocate the receiver box? I haven't installed any more electronics due to this yet.

Looking good....is your transmission backwards.....the one in my wraith faces the other way.

You made me go take a second look, but its on right. I'll check in the morning again when I'm more awake, right now its bedtime. I did put one of those chassis braces on backwards though and it was creating binding on compression, but I figured it out rather quickly.

Nice this is my 1000th post!

1,000 posts? That's a lot of Spam... Congrats!

Crap I edited and it made it 1001st post! What a bunch of B.S.

I re-located my RX box to the rear for more room for bigger packs, and possibly a CMS setup in the future. Also, flipping or mirroring your trans helps a lot with TQ twist. Rig is coming together nicely man.

I downloaded your manual.....it looks right to me, ok, so which way is mirrored? Let me know how you like that servo.....I was going to get one, but I forgot about it till I seen yours.

Really nice jeep looks a lot like my friends 1:1

OK so long time and no updates! But life happens, I work 12 days on and 2 days off, 8-12 hours a day. That leaves not much time for family, on top of that I have to fit in yard work, we have a large flower garden out front and an even bigger vegetable and fruit garden out back that eat a lot of my free time.

Anyways I sat down a couple of weeks ago and finished every thing up didn't take pictures cause I just wanted to finish this. I went to test her out in the back yard yesterday and lo and behold I erupted in laughter! My front axle spins forward and the rear spins in reverse. So I'm assuming I have to pull the rear axle apart and flip the diff around?

Also any other ways to mount rear tail lights other then the Dinky RC head n taillights kit? Don't want to spend $20 for a head and tail light buckets when the kit already came with head light buckets.

I used the Headlight kit for a Traxxas Grave Digger for mine. The LEDs can even be run directly off of the ESC.

Back