XTM Racing Mammoth ST truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My X-T pushes a bit too, but I think its the tires. I have a set of Proline Badlands awaiting wheels that I think will change that. I think they could use a front roll bar too.

hey digger, what steering servo is it? The cirrus CS 704MG? Or, a hitec one?

It is a Cirrus servo. Can't see any numbers on it. It is a fairly stong servo. I mean it will turn the tires with the car sitting still anyway. The throttle is the standard Hitec HS-311, which we all know will be stripped out in no time.

When you guys do a teardown, check your diffs. The guys on the forum are talking about shimming them to take out the backlash in the ring and pinion. The diffs are updated XLB, but is this the problem the original Mammoth had? Here are the shims. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/148624.asp I was going to do the teardown on mine, but knew nothing about this. So, I guess I'll make a small order and wait.

Yay! I may be getting a Mammoth ST!

...well my dad is. I decided to go with the Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro cause I had some extra cash and wanted the center diff, beefy shocks, AL arms, triple brakes...lol so yea I will have both if all goes to plans! (well its techincally my dads but i know he'll never use it haha)

I'm 43 and love mine dude. Not sure if I'll let my 20 year old play or not. :)
Almost got it back together, where I did the teardown to locktite everything. Be sure to shim the diffs when he gets it. R9 had a post on it on the XTM forum. http://globalservices.globalhobby.c...ghlight=&sid=a20b6a20e25cadbc8bae426bfe325af8 He put one on the ring gear and one on the pinion. I got by with a shim on the ring gear. Seems fine.

Interested in knowing how it compares to Hot Bodies. Let us know. Good luck with both.

Yea, I can't wait to compare it with the hotbodies. Right now I think they will handle similarly, mine will have better acceleration (putting a .28 in it) but he will have the higher topspeed at like 50mph cuase of the 2-speed.

But over all I think they will be close, mine might have the edge just casue I have the pro, CVDs, three brakes, etc and I will have a center diff...idk it will be close.

But, he doesn't know how to drive :D lol

AC, FYI I put a wasp .28 in my lsp with a 15 tooth cluchbell and it has unlimited bottom end as well as unblievable top end. At my local track there are a couple people with the reg mammoth but the drivetrain is the same as the ST(motor and 2 speed.) I know how fast the mam is flat out I had one for a while so I had to do a drag 250ft within the first 25ft aprox I was ahead by about 2 lengths buy the end it was about 10 truck lengths. So if you put a good .28 in it and gear it properly you will have the advantage in both top and bottom. Thats why I sold my mammoth and havent gotten the ST, Yet. BOOYA:fro:

But, he doesn't know how to drive lol
Better watch us old dudes AC. Might surprise ya. Besides he may be on the forum now asking about engine upgrades and reading your posts. :D

Glad you and your Dad are spending time together like that. Have fun. :)

lol, he has never driven one, well he did once and he almost hit himself with it haha. He said he wanted to get something fast, but that would handle well so he could dodge things lol. I told him he would probably like a truggy cause they are fast and handle great. And as far as I know he doesn't know about this forum, hes not one to go on forums and stuff, I jsut taught him how to use aol haha.

I plan to run a 14 T cause thats what I have but nitroman, what T is the stock CB on the LSP? Sounds like a wasp .28 is a good choice for the lsp from your post.

digger said:
Better watch us old dudes AC. Might surprise ya. Besides he may be on the forum now asking about engine upgrades and reading your posts. :D

Glad you and your Dad are spending time together like that. Have fun. :)

lol, ya, I tried to get my dad interested in rc by getting him a xxx-nt rtr, but he never drives it, but when he did he was pretty good at it, I think if he was willing to practice and spend a lil more $$$ he'd be a pretty good racer....o well...

I just picked one of these up at RCX. For the price it looks like a pretty solid platform to chase the X1-CRT and ST-Rs, though my plans for it are mainly bashing and a little time at the track. I'm going to install the XLB 290 cc fuel tank and center diff. I've read the diffs need to be shimmed for backlash so I will do that also. Any other weak points before I get her back together?

I also picked this up at the RCX show. At $349.99 hard to pass up with all the potential it has. Saw it at the track at RCX. This thing is quick,and handles really nice. I am just gonna use for bashing, but if I can get my driving skills down(I'm kinda like MW on that) I might hit the new track that's set to open here soon. Next time you guys talk to SD, ask him when he finnally bought the thing!lol Sorry SD! lol

Yes it was a tough decision but I'm glad I made the purchase at the 11th hour. I've already started to tear her down, and noticed that prior issues with lack of threadlock have been sorted out. All metal to metal screws had loctite on them.

Damn, this is an old post....

Make sure you shim the diffs. Mine was ripped before it was broke in.
Pretty good now. R9 has a thing on his sight on how to shim them. Also started putting up how he has his set his up for racing. Haven't been on it for a while, but it is a lot of help. http://www.racernine.com/

Keep me posted on what you think of it.

Thanks for the link digger. I see many of the mods I was planning are already covered on his site. Nice.

What have you done with yours?

Any other R9 drivers here? or am i like the only one?

Anywho... my point in visiting this thread was, who is lined up to buy the PRO kit? I think i got my foot in the door on this one. Definitely interested in it.

Pro kit looked great at RCX. I'll be working on the RTR for now.

I've been reading the post and am getting that the Mamoth is great on the track. How is it for bashing? I've been eye'n a Savage but for the price I could go XTM if it takes a good hit. What are your thoughts?

Back