Xray, Jammin, Koyosho, Mugen Mbx5? Whats the best 4 the money

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the rtr kit is best in this situation...and i can vouch personally for the pcr as i just got rid of mine for an xb8....

the pcr is a solid buggy and with minimal upgrades....can be a real contender at most tracks....although the hyper motor is a little weak for top notch racing it will be a good solid starter engine....and you will have plenty of power till you are ready to upgrade....

as for the radio the stock ofna sux....but you should be able to get the kit cheap enough to get the kit,a good radio and still stay under 700 buckaroos....

just my 2 cents...hope it helps

pissant said:
ac48 has made the best racing buggy for u, its kyosho, u can't go wrong with it!! but its your choice, if thisi s your first nitro car?? dont get the best, start off something simple like an ofna, but like i said its up to you
Yes I did make a pretty nice racing buggy for the price, but I agree, if this is your first nitro than the buggy I made for you might not be the best option. I would suggest a RTR like a Ofna Hyper PRC RTR or something along those lines.

If you plan on doing serious racing right away then going with the buggy I posted would be your best option.

If you check Tower, don't forget to use their discount coupons. Also, you can get some pretty good deals on Ebay. Anyway, you could get a Mugen MBX5 for $460 or so and then be able to get a decent engine that would still be under $700. As for the radio, you really don't have to go nuts for your first one. As you get more involved, you'll probably want a better system, but you could get an Airtronics MX3 for around $100 and it comes with a servo that could probably be used for the throttle, if nothing else.

Yes something along the lines of a PCR RTR would be the best bet, Nitro is not for everyone and that way if you decide it's not for you at least you didn't drop your whole load on something you decided you don't like.

get the sport werks mayhem, comes with FM radio, metal gear servo,a pretty powerful engine... just remember to use locktite

from my memory its somewhere around 500 rtr

he'll want somethin he can easily get parts for, ideally at a shop. somethins thats easy 2 work on and familarize himself w/the hobby, moreover a 1/8th buggies. somethin that he's not goin 2 give him a headache.

this = ofna. 1 of the hyper series buggies, the pbs rtr, pcr rtr, or the pro kit.

-ult

UltegraSTI said:
he'll want somethin he can easily get parts for, ideally at a shop. somethins thats easy 2 work on and familarize himself w/the hobby, moreover a 1/8th buggies. somethin that he's not goin 2 give him a headache.

this = ofna. 1 of the hyper series buggies, the pbs rtr, pcr rtr, or the pro kit.

Although I agree the PCR kit to be a great value, not all hobby shops stock them, mine do not. My shops stock Mugen, GS, and Xray, no Ofna's. So I would check with your local hobby shops before you make a decision based on parts availability. Great advice though as the Hyper 7 PCR is a very affordable/competitive package. A new buggy will be out by summer so keep in mind it will not be long before your model is the older generation. Not that that matters to everyone, just something to keep in mind when purchasing. I know I always hate when I think I am getting the latest greatest and a new one comes out just months after.

Latest and greatest is always the funnest. As long as it's fast enough to keep up w/ the guys I plan 2 race w/. This will be my dad and I's 1st car, but we're both pretty anxious to race. And race something we can have fun w/ and won't break down. Thanx everyone so far 4 your opinions. Really appreciate them as a newbie.

If you don't care if it's not the latest buggy there is but it won the worlds in vegas.Kyosho inferno mp 7.5 and if you look on ebay you can find some pretty good deals.My dad and I just finished putting together a kit that we got on ebay for 220 shipped.But most of them are 300-500 on ebay.

snowboy30 said:
:shrug: I want something fast and dependable. Racing wise that is. Want help on finding a good buggy. How am i supposed 2 know whats the best? :help: please. And thank you 4 your opinions.

You really can't go wrong with any of the high end kits. All of them perform as well as you can drive them. You can take any of them and put a good setup on them and be competitive if you have the skills to do so. You can also set one up poorly and be very disappointed with your buggy. Any of those buggies you mentioned can get you started in the right direction.

Hi guys I have a question I'm also looking at getting into the 1/8 scale world and was wondering if you could give me some advice on some cars to get. I've read all the post and it sounds like the mbx5 or Inferno are the way to go. Its going to be a racer only and I have my own radio but I would need the eng and I already know what servos to get. And as far as a hobby shop I dont have a good one so I have to order everything, are both of them race worthy and what would some race upgrades needed be. (Besides the obvious tires and oils) Any help would be great and thanks in advance

toughtrax... i would suggest the new jammin x1cr kit or rtr and then goto ebay and pick up a good engine...or if price is no issue do the same above only call or visit www.rcpit.net and ask for will... he can set ya up with a new xray xb8 better than most ebayers can....i ordered mine from him...he ships fast and also has all the parts in stock for it....

IMO the k3 or 777 are really nice but i have noticed that most hobby shops dont carry parts for them....seems like you have to order everything for it...

just my opinion...hope it helps

go for the mp777, i am still putting it together and its real purty

I think that I might go with the XB8 it seems like its different and not alot of people would have it. Does anyone know of a hobby shop that has them in stock?

they come with tools and a battery pack.. and kyoho dosent come with any of that..dosent even come with graphite... uh acehardwarehobbies.com has some

Well its a go my wife oked the whole thing and first thing in the morning I'm getting on the phone I hope to have some pics of it within the next week or so.

one thing is for sure : you won't regret buying the xb8
the kit is really super , very easy to build, very complete
the chassis drives almost by itself, is very forgiving, very tunable, very robust and you won't have to buy anything else : all you need is in the kit

HumboldtBlazer said:
Top 4 kits not in any order and this is just my opinion.

Mugen MBX 5 Prospect
Kyosho Triple 7 Special 1
Xray XB8
Thunder Tiger EB4 S3

Can't go wrong any way you look at that!
thought you said not in any order, thats pretty much how i would have listed them in order :) lol

toughtrax said:
Hi guys I have a question I'm also looking at getting into the 1/8 scale world and was wondering if you could give me some advice on some cars to get. I've read all the post and it sounds like the mbx5 or Inferno are the way to go. Its going to be a racer only and I have my own radio but I would need the eng and I already know what servos to get. And as far as a hobby shop I dont have a good one so I have to order everything, are both of them race worthy and what would some race upgrades needed be. (Besides the obvious tires and oils) Any help would be great and thanks in advance
I would buy the mugen mbx5 or the prospec, both nice cars, fast reliable and easy to get parts for, I've owned alot of 1/8 off road and they would have to be the cream of the crop at this stage. xb8 is nice but the mugen is a better built car IMHO.

get a sportwerks mayhem !
complete buggy, radio, motor, pipe for around 520.00

Back