Wings

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Wings Really Help?

• Yes

Votes: 27 87.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
How do you guys think a buggy would fly and drive without a wing? It's not like the really do a lot to keep her on the ground otherwise there were be multiple angled wings available and multiple settings available for the higher end RCs. My Kanai's have a few dozen different ways to adjust the suspension and so forth but not really anything for the wing. I've seen a few pics of buggies without wings and wonder how they really run minus the wings.

They help immensly. At the endurance race, a guy lost his whole rear wing assembly and was EVERYWHERE on the straight. He couldnt do anything to keep the car controllable, was merely running until his partner got the car on the track.

Other than straights though, I can't see a benefit except weight balancing.

I'm looking for ways to improve my super jump I will be trying on our memorial day weekend bash. With or without wing as well as if with what setting would make my buggy more controlable in the air more or less downforce. It will be a pretty much straight shot to the jump over relatively smooth terrain. Hmmmm???? Decisions decisions???

if i were you and was going to try something that huge i would do a few passes with the wing and with out the wing at wot to see how it reacts. then do a few test jumps the same way, and besides it couldn't hurt to try right?!?!

Test jumps on smaller jumps. The actual jump may or may not total the Anti-Christ. It's completely epic! If all goes according to plan this will completely humble the buggy jumping the house. I will thought make a few test runs on the approach with and without a wing to see which runs better.

Your buggy will be less stable without the wing and I doubt it will really make that much of a difference as far as drag is concerned. I would just adjust the pitch of the wing.

Wing Thread

here's some recent information on the wings of buggies..
might help you decide.

humble the buggy jumping the house
WOW.....that's a bold statement. I think the A-C might have Elephantitis of the Nuts to want to try something bigger. indeed worthy of 667-friend of the devil.

wiita

I've Tried Many jumps now and in my experience the wing has two functions stability of course and to protect the head of the mill when occasionally end up on your lid just my 2 cents.

All I can say for sure is that if I didn't have my wing my buggy body would be toast, its like a bumper when you land on your lid.

Yup, busted my wing mounts some time ago. It was early in the day and I wanted to continue running, so I ran without the wing.
Oh yeah......very hard to control in the air.

I have dopne multiple laps without a wing before and not only is it hard to stick an on-power turn it is also dropped the front end of the buggy off of every jump and flight control was poor at best.

Last edited:
Ok ok, I'm sold. One more question, do you think the wing would be better for this application with more or less down force?

If attempting a backflip I would assume more downforce. I've run without my wing and cannot keep it under control in a turn. Would spin out every attempt.

One really good thign about wings other than handling is it acts as a rollcage.....if you flip it, the wing acts like a brace and takes away impact. I'd rather break a wing than a engine!

Not only the engine, but without the wing and wing mounts your rear shock towers can really take a beating. The rear towers tend to stick out more and are more suspectable to bending.

Personally, I'm getting tired of replacing wings... Every time I flip the thing, I crack the wing where the mounts attach to it. I've even tried a proline wing and it broke the first flip too.

I think the storm wing mount setup is poor.

Anyone ever tried that crazy looking three tier wing I've seen around?

I disagree. My Storm wing has hel dup ALOT. It even even brake thew my back flippig era. I lans directly on the wing from a good 7ft and the only thing it done was strip out the bolts holdnig it

Okay.. I mean, sure you can disagree but the fact remains that I have four broken wings and one broken wing mount set sitting on the table. And I'm not a crazy basher and I don't wipe out much anymore at the track.

The wing mount just has two skinny "platforms" that the wing sits on. It seems like it would have made more sense to widen them out a little bit so the wings wouldn't crack every time..

cbreaker - try a kyosho wing. I've got about 3 or 4 and theyve held up great for me. maybe its just a bad wingmount design on yours, still worth a shot though :)

Originally posted by wiita
WOW.....that's a bold statement. I think the A-C might have Elephantitis of the Nuts to want to try something bigger. indeed worthy of 667-friend of the devil.[/B]

I'm wif ya homie.

The wing mount on my Lightning is adjustable.

Back