Will my Spektrum G2 battery auto-discharge if left in the airplane?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy666

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I lost my plane in a tree today. We hope to retrieve it somehow in the next few days, although it may be a lost cause. (It's about 100 - 120 feet up the tree, so not sure we can get to it.)
My question: Will the G2 battery self-discharge to storage voltage (after 72 hours), since the battery is still connected to the plane? Or does having a load on the battery negate the auto-discharge feature? Thanks

Haven't got a clue on the discharge, but hope your plane breaks free and you can retrieve it, been there done that, Sucks.

With the battery connected to the ESC, even if the plane were off, there is the likelihood it will still discharge. With the plane on, I would imagine it is toast by now. Even with LVC hit, it's still drawing power. But maybe those batteries somehow prevent that, but I kinda doubt it. The circuitry to do that would create a huge bottleneck in the current I would think

I think the default time is about 72 hours. But to answer the question is yes it should auto discharge.

It'll discharge faster than that if the electronics are still on...

Well, that is some story ... too long to give all the details but ... the homeowner took his compound bow and after about 6 tries, managed to launch an arrow directly over the plane (which was about 100 feet up in the tree), with a string attached. He then finagled and jostled the string for awhile, to get the arrow properly positioned, and managed to yank on the arrow, and catch the plane, knocking it and the arrow down to the ground. Honestly it was pretty damn cool. (The guy owns two Harleys, so by definition, he is a cool dude.) The only real damage was a couple rips in the wing, one fairly substantial. But I fixed it. First two photos are before/after of the major area of wing damage, and the third is the after of the less-major wing damage. Haven't flown it yet, but I did a pre-flight and all the controls work fine.

Aeroscout - crash - wing damage1.jpg

Aeroscout - crash - after repair2.jpg

Aeroscout - crash - after repair1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, first I made some blanks, which I glued onto the wing with Elmer's X-treme that I had laying around. The blanks came from the packing styrofoam from a humidifier. Attached are two photos of the blanks before I trimmed them. I did rough trimming with an Xacto, then sanded them to match the curvature of the wing. The one less-damaged area was pretty easy; I was able to cut out a rectangular section of the wing and simply replace it with a rectangular blank, so no filler was required, just trimming and sanding. I then filled in the seams of the repair with some lightweight spackle along the seams, just to cover the seams a bit. In answer to your question regarding the filler material I used on the badly damaged section ... I used Great Stuff Window and Door foam (comes in a blue can), because I didn't want something that expanded too much and it was the cheapest stuff I could find. However, the problem with this particular product is that it does not dry completely hard; it retains a small level of flexibility or softness. So it was a bit harder to conform to the wing (it doesn't cut or sand as smoothly as rigid foam filler), and is not quite as hard as the EPO foam. I gave it a couple coats of Testors model paint to add some hardness to the finish, and it seems ok. But you can see from the photo that it's not a totally smooth surface like the rest of the wing or the other repair. I was doing this on the cheap and it was my first repair, so I used what I had or what was cheap and available locally to buy. But for future use, I would recommend another foam called Kwik Foam (see photo, the yellow can on the right), which I started to use but ran out, and I couldn't find it locally. It is still "minimally expanding," but it dries hard and is easier to trim and shape to a smooth surface. None of these expanding foams (that I know of) are pure white, by the way, so you may have to paint them if you want a color match.
Hope this answers your question, but let me know if more questions.

Aeroscout - crash - wing repair blank1.jpg

Aeroscout - crash - wing repair blank3.jpg

Foams - use Kwik Foam.jpg

That’s some real Hawkeye stuff getting it down with a bow and arrow. I remember clout shooting as part of archery in high school, but they never said you do that.

IMG_3861.jpeg
Repair looks pretty good to!!

Last edited:
Back