Best way to discharge a Spektrum G2 battery to storage voltage?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy666

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Newbie here - I'm a bit confused as to whether there is a "best" or "recommended" way to discharge a Spektrum G2 battery down to its storage voltage after flying. That is, should I simply let the battery self-discharge to its storage voltage (within 72 hours per the factory setting), or should I put it on my S1100 G2 charger and pick the "Storage" function so the charger does it?
Seems that both ways accomplish the same thing, so I am thinking to simply let the batteries self-discharge.
This is what Spektrum says on its website promoting Smart Technology:
"Automatic Safe Storage
Smart batteries discharge automatically to a safe storage voltage for longer life and improved performance. Use the battery’s default Auto Storage settings or program them with your own preferences using a Smart device."
I realize that you can use the charger to adjust the number of hours it takes for the battery to automatically drop to storage voltage (it's factory set to 72 hours), but other than that, I don't see why I would need to use the charger itself to get the battery to storage voltage, since the battery will do this on its own.
Any thoughts or advice, or am I missing something?
Thanks

Use the storage function. I can't see the battery doing it on it's own being accurate.
There's a reason chargers have a storage function.

+1 Tunedfrog.

I always choose the storage option on the charger over the self-discharge option of the battery.

Note of Caution: At least on my smart charger three options show up: Charge, Discharge and Storage. BE SURE to select Storage instead of Discharge. To my way of thinking putting 'storage' and 'discharge' option next to each other is a shortfall in the smart charger design. Too easy to select the wrong option. Discharge should be on a screen of its own in my opinion as it is a fatal final option for a LiPo battery.

I always double check the function before I storage charge. I would hate to make that mistake.

Thanks all. Yes, I am aware of the difference between the "Storage" and "Discharge" functions on the charger, and will be sure to select "Storage."

Is there resistor(s) built into those "smart batteries"?

Sorry, I'm not up to terms, or follow everything too closely. I'll post the above question while I go investigate.

+1 Tunedfrog.

I always choose the storage option on the charger over the self-discharge option of the battery.

Note of Caution: At least on my smart charger three options show up: Charge, Discharge and Storage. BE SURE to select Storage instead of Discharge. To my way of thinking putting 'storage' and 'discharge' option next to each other is a shortfall in the smart charger design. Too easy to select the wrong option. Discharge should be on a screen of its own in my opinion as it is a fatal final option for a LiPo battery.
Does your charger not give you the option to set the discharge voltage after you select discharge?

Yes, it does. But remember it's a Smart battery, so I don't need to, as far as I know, since the storage voltage for the battery is already set in the battery's chip. (It can be varied, but mine are set at 3.8V.).

I am supposed to go flying tomorrow with someone, so when I return, I will post more information.

Last edited:
Does your charger not give you the option to set the discharge voltage after you select discharge?
Dunno if there is a discharge voltage selection or not. I'm still fumbling about trying to figure out the S1100 smart charger.

Fault lies with me not caring that much. To be honest, Kevin, I bought the smart charger, one 2S and one3S Gen2 battery to see what it was all about. Smart technology is not for me. My preference is my primary go-to charger, a ProTek Prodigy66. It at least shows me balance voltage between cells. Smart charger does not do that. At least I haven't found it if it does. Have to take it for granted that the smart charger and smart battery are maintaining proper cell balance. Something I'd prefer to see for myself assurance.

Not intending to dis my smart charger. Think it's a good charger for general bashing where the battery owner is not all that concerned with cell balance. Perhaps the higher grade smart chargers offer more features. Me, once these smart batteries reach disposal age they're history. I'll sell the charger on Ebay for what I can get out of it and write it all off as an expensive lesson learned.

Yes but no, The G2 is susposed to have a storage mode and that it reduces the voltage after a few days. I rather put then into a safe storage mode myself.

Back