what to buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untchbl

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm fixing to buy a radio guys. Which ones do you like. I was thinking the xs3, or should I save the money and do the new futaba or the airtronics m8. Will I be able to appreciate these radios fully? Are they worth the extra money. Remember I'm a rookie now, but plan to make big strides in rc racing within the next year and a half.

brandon

I'm pleased with my new XS-3 purchase. What sold me is not having to worry about crystal damage or having a few different crystal sets. Plus it comes with a high torque servo too!

Everyone seems to go crazy about the Xs3. From what I have seen it is a great controller. However - Make sure you test them all out and see what you like best. if you plan on racing professionally, you will have to stick with the M8. Lynx 3D FM, or the Futaba 3PK - all of these radios can now be had in a synth version too.

I use the Lynx 3D FM, and it is perfect for my needs. I also looked at the Xs3 but it didnt offer some of the features I wanted, and most importantly - it didnt feel right in my hand. almost felt cheap. Again this is a personal decision, and you should go to the LHS and try out several different ones.

Thank you na, I would highly consider either the 3pk or the m8 if I can get em in synth versions. Any part numbers or places to get good pricing?

I can squeek buy for a bit with the old xr3 that I have right now, and save my peanuts for a week longer to get the good stuff.
Brandon

Damn, that kicks the price of the airtronics up there! The hitec is a good value, but I would have to handle that one first, looks to me like it might have some funny balance issues.

So you're saying that I could use the futuba, and just buy the synth moduals? Or are you just saying I get the 3pk, and then buy a synth rec. for it and use crystals in the gun?

Whats the difference between the two 3pk and the pcm version?

Brandon

Originally posted by untchbl

1. The hitec is a good value, but I would have to handle that one first, looks to me like it might have some funny balance issues.

2. So you're saying that I could use the futuba, and just buy the synth moduals? Or are you just saying I get the 3pk, and then buy a synth rec. for it and use crystals in the gun?

3. Whats the difference between the two 3pk and the pcm version?

Brandon
============================
1. I use the Hitec, and it is amazingly comfortable, it even comes with a super soft roll of foam tape to wrap around the grip. not heavy at all.

2. You can only use the synth rcv, still need the crystals for the TX

3. the pcm module is a pulse modulated FM channel. It is alot better than standard FM, but you can only see the effects when you use digital servos. Usless unless you race professionally though.

For the price, the hitec seems to blow the xs3 out of the water if you ask me. I'll have to go handle them and see what I like.

Brandon

that is why i picked the hitec - again remember this is a personal decision. alot of people here and at my track told me to get the JR but after looking at the features, and holding both of them, i decided on the hitec. if u like the JR better, by all means, get it.

The only thing that would hold me back from the jr is the fact that a: it does feel kinda jeep, or atleast my xr3 did. and B: I do intend to do this professionaly eventually. I would rather just buy the radio once.

Brandon

good luck, and let me know which one u choose, or your opinions on them once u go to the LHS

If you still need crystals for the Tx doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of getting a synth system since you still need crystals....

twiz - u dont need crystals for the Lynx 3D w/novak rcvr. u need RCV crystals for the reg synth model, but they give u 4 of those.

Last edited:
Originally posted by untchbl
Damn, that kicks the price of the airtronics up there! The hitec is a good value, but I would have to handle that one first, looks to me like it might have some funny balance issues.

So you're saying that I could use the futuba, and just buy the synth moduals? Or are you just saying I get the 3pk, and then buy a synth rec. for it and use crystals in the gun?

Whats the difference between the two 3pk and the pcm version?

Brandon
I also have the Hitec 3D Lynx. It does look like it all out of balance, but it is a very comfortable TX. For the price and features you can't beat it.

Back