What did I break?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buncrana

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Title syas it says it all. I guess I hit the wall one too many times, even the screws for the suspension arms were bent. No idea what this part is called.

*edit* Hmm, I tried to upload a pic, didn't work I guess. Anyways it's the piece the suspension arms attach to with those long screws.

Pic should post now.

Those are called bulkheads,unless you wanna replace alot of them I would get some aluminum ones.

Where should I buy them?

a set of alloy or Ti skids will virtually eliminate you snapping bulks. unless you flat out hit something.
alluminum bulkheads are a great buy.
Great Assembly RC

wiita

Check out the RC Solutions bulkheads. They are awesome, and they come with hardened hinge pins. Do not use the stock hinge pins in an aluminum bulk.

These are probably some of the best money can buy: GA 7075 Bulks

You will also need something like these since you can't use the stock ones on al bulks: Hinge Pins

The bulks are made of 7075 al that's harder to strip and bend that 6061. Plus, you get the full set plus some really nice bulkhead braces for under $120.

You might also want to consider keeping the stock bulkheads & getting some Titanium Skid Plates. I had these on my Maxx and they worked like a champ. They are pretty cheap for Titanium, yet the quality is superb. Plus you can get a 3-piece set which locks together, thus helping distribute the force of an impact. And they also have a Lifetime Warranty.

They are actually on sale (3-Piece Set $70) & you can get free shipping. Check them out. They have several colors to choose from too:

Click on Skid Plates at the top of the webpage
http://www.kbrockhoundz.com

Another cool thing is that if your truck can wheelie, the titanium will make sparks on the ground.

Later....:mex:

Last edited:
IF u are tight on cash www.integy.com makes some aluminum bulkheads, worked great for me. also u could get bulkhead braces made by RPM. but i have to admit those RC-Solution bulkheads are sweet.

later

The thing about replacing the stock bulkheads is yeah, they're cheap but it's time consuming to replace them. I know this guy who is always breaking the stock bulkheads but he won't upgrade, he's happy paying a few bucks for them. That's fine, but his down time is more than his up time. Definately upgrade to something better.

What a day, what a day. Went to my lhs and he did not have any alum bulks in stock so I went with the orig. ones for $7. Worked on it right at the shop just in case I had problems, ya know. So, afterwards, decided to put in a fuel line filter and of course with that, I need a little tuning. Took it out back with a couple of other guys with the Savages and was just toolin' around ya know. Raced a stock Savage 25 and blew it away even though I had a trough start. After that, I raced it around and whadya know, this huge, yellow, steel dumpster comes out of nowhere and I hit it. :8-0: The new bulkhead survived but I couldn't say the same for the lower left suspension arm. So for another $7, I called it quits for the day.

Anyways, after speaking with the guy at my lhs, he tells me that I am better off with plastic because aluminum bends just as easy as plastic breaks. I was thinking he may be right for the suspension arms but I can't see the bulkheads being so easily bent. Your thoughts?

i was breaking my bulk all the time so i went with the 7075 bulk from ga link above.and rock hounds ti skids and lower braces.after that nothing broke..

Go for the RPM a arms 9.99 for one corner and a replacement against breakage if you ever need it. I have broken almost everything around them but not them.

Originally posted by sbb4us
Go for the RPM a arms 9.99 for one corner and a replacement against breakage if you ever need it. I have broken almost everything around them but not them.

I am thinking of geting those next time since they do have that nice warranty. I even emailed them and told them what I did to break the A arm and he said, "more than likely we
would have replaced your RPM a-arm if it were to break in those same
circumstances although it would have been highly unlikely that the dumpster
would have broken an RPM part. Our products are extremely tough!"

So, line of bull or truth? Either way, Traxxas does not have any such warranty as far as I can see so for a couple of extra dollars, I will definitely buy RPM products from now on.

It's probably not far from the truth. Although, if you don't have good shocks (ones that can take massive abuse) the flex that the rpm arms would have done would more than likely have busted up a shock or two. I had it happen when I hit a light pole head on (depth perception sux). I swerved to miss, and hit it dead center. The RPM arms flexed so much forward, the it bent one of the shock shafts into a V and busted a cap off another. But, I'm still running the same set of RPM arms 5 gallons later!

Back