Volcano S30 Remote Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

On board or no on board starter??

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it did... When on pavement and going full speed don't turn is the lesson I got

nitro takes patience. sometime a very lot of patience sometimes. A hobby is not something you get bent out of shape and lose sleep over
step back , take a deep breath or two....go fishing, ride momma, go hiking....

my first truck was a squishy Tmaxx 3.3 with traxxas fuel. truck was junk, fuel was junk. everytime that truck got taken out, it broke or wouldnt run.I switched to different fuel, and it started easier, ran better i couldnt keep a supply of parts for it without buying a hobbyshop. didnt own it but a couple months. soaked a lot of cash into it and dumped it. BUT it was a good learning machine
Have no worries. we will get that beast running as there looks to be some pretty nice parts on it

Under no cercumstances will it start..
New hot plug, New fuel filter and lines, Good charge on the igniter
Carb tuning is idk because I can't get a definitive answer on stock tuning for the SH .18
I've got the LSN to 2 1/2 out
1mm gap in the carb
HSN is at 3 out
I have wasted two jugs of traxxas fuel in the last two days trying to get a start out of it. All going out the exhaust.

.18 SH engine for the attacker model.
Idle gap in carb - 1-1.5 mm gap showing
Low speed Needle - 3 turns out from closed. DO NOT turn this all the way in as it will come off the carb body and you will not be able to re-fit it.
High Speed Needle - 3 1/4 turns out from fully closed.

IMHO
Any other fuel is better than that Traxxas junk blue crap. too much oil not enough combustables
piss burns better than that rotten blue poop.

step up to a better grade fuel and your starting issues may go away. hopefully your LHS is smart enough not to just solely sell that stuff

Last edited:
nitro takes patience. sometime a very lot of patience sometimes. A hobby is not something you get bent out of shape and lose sleep over
step back , take a deep breath or two....go fishing, ride momma, go hiking....

my first truck was a squishy Tmaxx 3.3 with traxxas fuel. truck was junk, fuel was junk. everytime that truck got taken out, it broke or wouldnt run.I switched to different fuel, and it started easier, ran better i couldnt keep a supply of parts for it without buying a hobbyshop. didnt own it but a couple months. soaked a lot of cash into it and dumped it. BUT it was a good learning machine
Have no worries. we will get that beast running as there looks to be some pretty nice parts on it

.18 SH engine for the attacker model.
Idle gap in carb - 1-1.5 mm gap showing
Low speed Needle - 3 turns out from closed. DO NOT turn this all the way in as it will come off the carb body and you will not be able to re-fit it.
High Speed Needle - 3 1/4 turns out from fully closed.

IMHO
Any other fuel is better than that Traxxas junk blue crap. too much oil not enough combustables
piss burns better than that rotten blue poop.

step up to a better grade fuel and your starting issues may go away. hopefully your LHS is smart enough not to just solely sell that stuff

You took the words out of my mouth on that one!...patience ,patience an patience...:D

I don't give up.. I love tinkering.
I am going to see if redcat will replace the engine for me and I will replace the other parts that got damaged in the crash.. Gives me an excuse to get the aluminum reciever box I wanted..
On another plus side to this crappy ness is I found a local guy that has two 1/8 monster trucks with a large box of spare parts for 200.. I'm going for it as soon as I get paid.
I don't give up.. I will keep trying until I actually get to go out and have fun with a nitro truck.
Thats my goal right now..
Time to rebuild

I agree with bifft it about fuel. I use Byrons with 20% nitro. Has always worked great for me. Glad you're sticking with it!

Thanks for the fuel tips guys.. Now that I think about it in that way the aeronautic fuel I used at first worked great but the traxxas fuel never burned for me but once or twice and with a hot plug too..

Nitro RC is fiddly, can be annoying, and it's easy to lose patience. Put it down, leave it for a couple of days then come back to it with a clear mind. It'll be an achievement when you get this thing going :)

Yeah it will be.. I just got the full 2speed setup in the mail today.. But tomorrow I'm sending the engine in for a replacement.
For everyones info I am going to keep this thread going for what its supposed to be but its just going to take getting things rebuilt and bugs worked out before the starter gets "fabbed" in.

Yeah it will be.. I just got the full 2speed setup in the mail today.. But tomorrow I'm sending the engine in for a replacement.
For everyones info I am going to keep this thread going for what its supposed to be but its just going to take getting things rebuilt and bugs worked out before the starter gets "fabbed" in.
When you get the new engine, I'd recommend leaving it stock. At stock, the engine has plenty enough performance for most peoples needs and porting and polishing, when you take into the risk considerations, only really benefits those who are racing, or those who have been in the hobby a while and want that little extra performance whilst bashing :)

Leaving this next engine stock is defiantly the plan for me.
If I want to mod something then I will do what I know best and mod a Rotary..
can't wait for my first Nitro rotary. Going to be a very nostalgic moment :)

Leaving this next engine stock is defiantly the plan for me.
If I want to mod something then I will do what I know best and mod a Rotary..
can't wait for my first Nitro rotary. Going to be a very nostalgic moment :)
Keep us updated on the rotary, it'll be certainly interesting to see how it goes :)

Will do Ninnon.
I'm sure it will go into a 1/8 scale.
Having a little peripheral ported rotary in a 1/10 scale would probably destroy every moving part but the engine..
Although...

Will do Ninnon.
I'm sure it will go into a 1/8 scale.
Having a little peripheral ported rotary in a 1/10 scale would probably destroy every moving part but the engine..
Although...
I need to see this. I don't care if the thing rips itself apart, I want to see it do that :D

Starting to think I've met a Rotorhead like myself.
Well Sir I say well met.
And Your right, it would be worth watching dogbones fly and spur gears shatter :)
I hope my wife never sees these posts haha

Starting to think I've met a Rotorhead like myself.
Well Sir I say well met.
And Your right, it would be worth watching dogbones fly and spur gears shatter :)
I hope my wife never sees these posts haha
You won't be able to hear anyone over the sound of it anyway :D

The volcano is going a different direction now.
Got 1/8 suspension on it now and I'm in the midst of installing a Torq 3.5 Bigblock thats fully ported and polished runs off 40%.
Will update after install is complete.

Back