Volcano S30 Remote Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

On board or no on board starter??

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pull the plug, turn the egine upside down over a rag. Spin the engine over and get all the fuel out of the cylinder. Also, I would pull the muffler and let it drain of all fuel make sure the fuel is pouring out. Be 100% sure the stinger isn't plugged up with contaminants

Your entire engine and exhaust is likely FILLED with fuel from no start... It needs to drain and dry

Bottom of the glow plug is black. the heat spring in it is silver if that means anything

I have to go now... I will be back in an hour and half or so. Just get the parts dried out and be sure you've got free air flow thru everything. 2 hugs of fuel thru a no start situation is a LOT!. Back soon!
Take it easy... It is VERY unlikely you've got a blown engine being as new as you've got it!

Ok, have returned. How are you making out at this point?

I've been letting it dry out.. I took the plug out and turned the engine over while upside-down with a catch rag for the fuel.. Took the exhaust off and got it dried out as well.
Now its sitting on a table upside down with the plug out.

Also I'm now guessing that nitro engines are not like automotive engines with a carb?
Such as if its flooded just keep turning it over until it fires is a bad thing for nitro but works for a car?
I am great at diagnosing gas and Diesel engines but man these nitro things are hyper sensitive it seems.

Confirmed start but it takes a long while and priming more than once to get it.. It dies if I let off the throttle after acceleration now. Dies quickly

Last edited:
Glad you got it going. I'm breaking in my HSP 1/10 Nitro Jeep that I got last week. Has a Vertex .18 engine, very similar to the SH .18 Needles were crazy rich out of the box. I set HSN at 2 1/2 turns out and LSN at 2 turns out. Started easy at those settings and was plenty rich for break in. Hope this helps. Don't give up. Nitro is a blast once you get the hang of it.

Ok... Well, I had left before I got the next and very important... Be sure that the pressure to fuel tank outlet from the muffler is free and clear of any goop, debris, etc.,,

I can't turn back even if I want to at this point haha I've put 300 in parts and tools into my truck already.
I did a mild port job after break in. Got one more tank of fun with it and then this..
Maybe its goofy because of the porting?

Just a thought, does the piston have a cut-out on one side? That's supposed to face the carb if I remember correctly. If it's facing the wrong way the engine won't run right no matter what.

I am sure it is but now that you say that its time to tear it down and take a look to be sure... Would it hurt at all to go a little more aggressive on the port while I am at it?

Stay away from any more engine mods at this point. Lets get it running and stable,first.
There are a LOT of factors at play with this!

Don't know how to answer that, I've never done it. But from what I've read and seen in different posts and articles on line, it seems a little goes a long way. I'd be careful with it.

The open part of the piston skirt is facing the carb.
Photo on 2-20-17 at 3.11 PM.jpg

I tried messing with the porting on one if mine many years ago... it ended badly. I forgot that you mentioned you did that. Mine was a tried and true OS 15 CV-R. Those things will run if you fill them with dirt practically. After putting fangs in the intake and smoothing out the skirt, it ran like crap. WOT or nothing. Wouldn't idle at all. Wondering if your mods have upset it to a point of no return.

I just found the one way bearing is toast.. To be continued for now

I can't turn back even if I want to at this point haha I've put 300 in parts and tools into my truck already.
I did a mild port job after break in. Got one more tank of fun with it and then this..
Maybe its goofy because of the porting?

I think when you fang the porting ,you may have to retune ,fanging causes the engine to scruff up more
fuel from the channeling!
I also did that mod at one time when it was the fab!...:hehe:

There will be no more volcano anything from me.. Its Dead
Photo on 2-21-17 at 4.48 PM.jpg

Both strut towers, all four axles, receiver, engine block, throttle servo and the frame are all toast... I've had enough of this pile of crap.
I really wish I held my temper but all day and night for eight straight days and no sleep trying to get a dam start has finally gotten to me

I went for one run after a high idle start and Rolled it hauling ass.. That is the result.
I am not holding my temper by returning it.. Just to be clear on the damage cause

Last edited:
Back