Turning an X into an XL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
so my understanding of this is I can buy the new frame rails, engine plate, rear driveline, and XL wheel axles that are spaced out, and will have an XL?(besides the motor and tranny) Are the A-arms, and other parts all the same?

There are some additional differences, but everything is swapable.

Diffs, breaks, and drive cups are some other primary differences, but your originals will work perfectly fine in the extended plates.

If you want the wide axles then you will need to install hpi's super heavy duty axle set. The stock dog bones on the X are to small to fit into the extended axle cups.

i have an xl 5.9 i turning it to an x with an lrp z.28R spec 3.
about turning your x to an xl you have also change the muffler and Exhaust muffler mount spring because they are much longer on the xl than the x.

i have an xl 5.9 i turning it to an x with an lrp z.28R spec 3.
about turning your x to an xl you have also change the muffler and Exhaust muffler mount spring because they are much longer on the xl than the x.

Just out of curiosity, why are you changing it to an X?

i did it to have the most toughest savage x with the xl options parts (3 speed , 3mm engine mount plate , extended aluminum axles , Tougher Suspension Uprights , Reinforced All-Metal Differential with larger diff outdrives and axles ,
Thicker Dogbones ...) and i add an lrp z.28 spec 3 engine and 8 HPI alum shocks and 4 alum susp arms , 4 durt bonz tires ,2 savox hight speed servos ... and in my opinion it's more fun to drive the x version ( less weight , more whelees, fast on corners and with the extended aluminum axles you got more stability and handling than the original x.

i did it to have the most toughest savage x with the xl options parts (3 speed , 3mm engine mount plate , extended aluminum axles , Tougher Suspension Uprights , Reinforced All-Metal Differential with larger diff outdrives and axles ,
Thicker Dogbones ...) and i add an lrp z.28 spec 3 engine and 8 HPI alum shocks and 4 alum susp arms , 4 durt bonz tires ,2 savox hight speed servos ... and in my opinion it's more fun to drive the x version ( less weight , more whelees, fast on corners and with the extended aluminum axles you got more stability and handling than the original x.

Going from xl to x is better my buddy just put the 5.9 in his x and upgraded his diffs and can't keep the front end down off the line. My xl gets him on top end but he smokes me for launches. As well as my xl wont wheelie on flat ground.