Turned some heads and hexes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyMaxx

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Today I threw the stock Savage tires back on and took it out for a little backyard bash. I also took the T-Maxx out to knock some dust and cobwebs off.

Both fired right up. The sound difference between the two is amazing. The Savage is freaking loud compared to my T-Maxx. So loud that it had one of my twins screaming for Mommy the entire time it ran. I ended up having to move to the front of the house for some street running just to keep the girl quiet.

Prior to moving to the street, I managed to scrap a glo-plug. The thing just disintegrated after I pulled it out to check on it. Guess the Hyper is a little tough on plugs. I also popped one rear turnbuckle off its ball joint with a particulerly ugly landing. It was so heinous, my soon-to-be three year old cries out with a certain sadness in her voice, "Daddy, help your truck." while it is on its lid wheels spinning.

Upon removal of the rear wheel (to re-attach the turnbuckle) I noticed that the hex was turned about an 1/8 of a turn in the rim. I checked all the wheels at this point. Sure enough, the rear wheels on both sides had the hex turned about 1/8 turn in their sockets. This translates to monster torque on the rear wheels, but it also causes me to ask if the HB hexes are a better fit. I do not want to ruin the rims because of poor fitting hexes.

Out to the street. Ran the Savage through its paces. Sorry, no wheel spinning power slide stories this time. The stock tires provide much better traction than the Road Rages did. I did gather an audience while chasing a school bus, a Caddy, and a Benz. All I can say is the Savage is fast.

I then cranked up the T-Maxx and ran it for a tank. It is also fast, but not quite the same as the Savage.

Some things I noticed:
1. Savage has a wider turn radius and is more stable through rapid direction changes (the T-Maxx has wide offset rims, but a shorter wheel base).
2. The Savage has a much faster second gear than my T-Maxx, but both seemed to be gear limited. In other words, they both sounded like they had more RPMs than the gears could use. If I re-gear both for top speed, I'm sure I could get another 10 mph out of both.
3. The Savage has a better center of gravity than the T-Maxx. I won't say lower, because the ride height is higher, but the Savage wanted to keep all four on the ground through hard turns and my T lifted one and sometime two wheels during those same kind of maneuvers.
4. Throttle repsonse is about the same, but this is a hard comparison. The engines are different displacements and the trucks are different weights.

All in all, I still love my T-Maxx...BUT the Savage is taking the day.

BTW, the HUM VEE body looks nice, but sucks for aerodynamics.

Sorry about the long one, but you all know me...

Haha, get ur kids into nitros! That would be so funny. Anyways sounds like a good day.

I was thinking of getting a onroad..but I'm kinda moving to a buggy or monster truck. I spent 3 hours thinking about it while i was in bed. :eek:

WHAT DO I DO?! Help me skymaxx!

Yes the HB locking hub adapters work very well. I have them and love that i dont have to worry about the hexes coming off the axle while mounting the tires. As far as 'in-the-wheel' goes, I didnt notice much of a difference vs. the stock ones. But they are TIGHT. Oh, and I dont have to run around looking for the pins any more either.

So did you see what I meant about the torpedo on wheels vs. the party boat on wheels? :thumbsup:

With regards to the aerodynamics and the bodies? Hell yes! The Hummer body will be great to bash in I'm sure, but a racer it is not.

Originally posted by Smurfola212
Haha, get ur kids into nitros! That would be so funny. Anyways sounds like a good day.

I was thinking of getting a onroad..but I'm kinda moving to a buggy or monster truck. I spent 3 hours thinking about it while i was in bed. :eek:

WHAT DO I DO?! Help me skymaxx!

First, you need to see a shrink...spending so much time in bed thinking about RCs has got to be some kind of psychological disorder.

Second, you need to decide what your idea of fun is. While I enjoyed letting loose with some sprints on the street, that gets boring really quick. I have more fun finding terrain to beat my trucks up on and then seeing what I can break than I do drilling holes in concrete as I do laps with my RC.

Were I in your shoes, I'd go with the MT. That is just me. I have no experience with buggies and will not say anything bad about them. I have had nothing but fun (even through the frustrations) with my MTs.

SavageSkyy?

I finally saw a savage run the other day... I know which MT i'm after now...

Great, another hole in the ground in which to dump money into.

Sky- Sounds like you had a awsome day !! can't drive my t-maxx just yet. still have to find out what is the matter with the trans..and its supposed to start raining soon so...rain sucks...:)

Rain sure does suck...I no sooner finished bringing in my RCs and it started to get all grey and ugly out. Guess Mother Nature decided to wait until I had had my fun. We got a quick downpour, just enough to cool things off and get things wet, and the storm moved on.

Hope you get your tranny sorted out and get that T back in gear...funny, I made a pun and wasn't even trying. Anyway, hope the weather improves where you are.

Sky, Your Savage doesn't flip on turns evern with that 8 Port? Wow! I would just like to say that your savage sounds amazing and Now I have the complete idea of what I'm getting. But, You think the stock shocks are poop?
[move]-Kellen[/move]

I think all plasatic shocks, regardless of the RC, are crap. They never hold up to the punishment I dish out, and these are no different. Weak springs, lightweight oil, and a less than perfect cylinder....get aluminum shocks and you'll be much happier.

Back