Traxxas Sledge.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo27

132 ft = Fun.
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
I will install a red 400 servo. I would like to get an aluminum steering link, TREAL. Is this good, bad, or the ugly? Thanks.

I was thinking of getting a Treal bell crank. Just wondering if its worth it. I want to make the steering as good as it can be. I am not rich. But I can pull it off. Ha. Thanks, Mike P.S This site is Too.:cool: :ofnabuggy:

Treal makes really good stuff. For $100, you could buy a much better servo. Something from Hitec or Savox would be a much better option. Traxxas servos are overpriced, and their lower end servos are some of the worst in the hobby.

Treal makes really good stuff. For $100, you could buy a much better servo. Something from Hitec or Savox would be a much better option. Traxxas servos are overpriced, and their lower end servos are some of the worst in the hobby.
Yeah I thought about that. Too late now. Ha.

Traxxas servos are overpriced, and their lower end servos are some of the worst in the hobby.
I got a 2075R in my slash. 45 dollar servo (50 dollars now) Its the same speed as stock but just metal geared. I can get a OMG servo for 30, metal gear, so much faster and smoother. The 2075 and 2056 servos from traaxxas are hard to turn or move by hand.

What I use in my rustler; https://www.rcmart.com/omg-high-vol...vo-for-1-10-rc-buggy-omg-st-20dm-pro-00111582
What I use in my buggy: https://www.amainhobbies.com/xpert-...aluminum-center-case-servo-xptsi-4431/p276593
What I use in my slash: (2075): https://traxxas.com/products/parts/servos/2075R
What I use in my mini b: https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsh0255mgp-micro-digital-mg-servo-13-54

A $30 DS3235 (35kg)is better than stock. Not great, but at least they work, more than I can say for the stock 2275 (25kg) servo. My brother's went out after about 3 battery packs. Sad.

I've got a lot to learn about this hobby. Good info, thanks.

I have the Traxxas Sledge. About to go with all aluminum parts. My Maxx already has.

I have the Traxxas Sledge. About to go with all aluminum parts. My Maxx already has.
Watch out on those aluminum parts. Some stuff is ok to go with aluminium. Some stuff is not ok to go with aluminum. Aluminum can't flex so in a bad crash it might bend. Or send the forces or energy to the nearest other part. If that part is plastic, it might break that plastic part. If its aluminum, the energy or forces will just be bouncing around in there. Maybe @WickedFog has some more knowledge on aluminum stuff. The only reason I would upgrade the no no parts to aluminum is if it is going to be a shelf queen and not abused. Lol.
If you want a more better plastic, see if RPM has any parts for the sledge / maxx. More flexible plastic than stock.
Some parts that are ok for aluminum can be hubs, steering blocks, steering racks (bellcranks), shock towers (ehh) bulkheads (ehh). Some parts that you deff don't want to do aluminum is arms.

I will install a red 400 servo. I would like to get an aluminum steering link, TREAL. Is this good, bad, or the ugly? Thanks. The sledge is

I will install a red 400 servo. I would like to get an aluminum steering link, TREAL. Is this good, bad, or the ugly? Thanks.
I was pretty happy with the sledge out of the box .. although it definitely needed a servo upgrade and I would also suggest a cooling fan for the motor as well ..other than that it's a great RC .... However my Kraton 6s preforms just as well or better in some ways for less money

Good to know. Looking a t the Felony next. Love the Sledge. Looking for a street machine next.

Good to know. Looking a t the Felony next. Love the Sledge. Looking for a street machine next.
I have felony as well...it's an absolute beast...you won't be disappointed...but prepare to buy lots of tires!! Lol....it melts tires like marshmallows over a campfire..

The Sledge is a hard sell for me.. maybe my brother just got a lemon, not sure but, for the money K6 all day, every day. One can find a K6 for around $450 on sale.. $300 less than a Sledge. That's alot of upgrades/consumables or replacement parts to be had vs a Sledge. It's a good truck but TRX is outta their minds for $750.

Too late for me I have the Sledge and love it. Paid $700 for the Sledge. Lucky I have $ to burn, lol. My next project will be the Felony. I have a Slash Ultimate and was told that it was junk. Oh well. Can't win.

The Sledge is a hard sell for me.. maybe my brother just got a lemon, not sure but, for the money K6 all day, every day. One can find a K6 for around $450 on sale.. $300 less than a Sledge. That's alot of upgrades/consumables or replacement parts to be had vs a Sledge. It's a good truck but TRX is outta their minds
The Sledge is a hard sell for me.. maybe my brother just got a lemon, not sure but, for the money K6 all day, every day. One can find a K6 for around $450 on sale.. $300 less than a Sledge. That's alot of upgrades/consumables or replacement parts to be had vs a Sledge. It's a good truck but TRX is outta their minds for $750.
I agree I have both rigs and the Kraton definitely preforms as well or better for less money

OhToo late for me I have the Sledge and love it. Paid $700 for the Sledge. Lucky I have $ to burn, lol. My next project will be the Felony. I have a Slash Ultimate and was told that it was junk. Oh well. Can't win.

Too late for me I have the Sledge and love it. Paid $700 for the Sledge. Lucky I have $ to burn, lol. My next project will be the Felony. I have a Slash Ultimate and was told that it was junk. Oh well. Can't win.
It's like I said yesterday...the sledge is a great truck and the Kraton preforms just as well for less money...I wouldn't say either truck is better than the other...the Kraton just happens to Costco less

I have Kraton 6s and sledge .....love them both....
I will say the the motor mounting system in the sledge is better in my opinion...it's more evenly supported to sustain the impact of hard landings without bending the motor shaft. And the sledge body is definitely easier to get on and off ...but in terms of overall performance of the 2 trucks I'd would call it a 50-50 draw
The Kraton has better steering out of the box and has a little more punch. But after upgrading the sledge servo and a little tuning...there at the same level

Last edited:
Yep, buy what ya like I say. I am not loyal to any brand..well, except for my beer that is. LOL 🍻😉

You can't go wrong with either truck...I recommend them both...but if your on a budget...the Kraton is definitely the winner in terms of affordability

I have Kraton 6s and sledge .....love them both....
I will say the the motor mounting system in the sledge is better in my opinion...it's more evenly supported to sustain the impact of hard landings without bending the motor shaft. And the sledge body is definitely easier to get on and off ...but in terms of overall performance of the 2 trucks I'd would call it a 50-50 draw
The Kraton has better steering out of the box and has a little more punch. But after upgrading the sledge servo and a little tuning...there at the same level
My brother and I mainly run our stuff on a track so no real concerns about bent motor mounts and whatnot. I hear of manny who strip gears of the Xmaxx's too, but we haven't had any issues with those either. I did recently strip a tooth off a Kraton pinion gear.. and this..darned rocks!!😂😂

16841728888892262428078329947711.jpg