Traxxas Sledge Rear diff disassembly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesB2

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Need assistance on disassembling the Traxxas Sledge rear diff. I think the bearing (5180 or 5118A) went bad/got destroyed. Currently, I've got the back 1/2 of the diff removed (removed 2585 screws, 9529 and 9580), circled in green. What do I need to remove next in order to get to the bearings (Circled in RED)?

edited.jpg

So you got the back half of the gear box apart? If you want the other part apart you have to take out the screws on going up into the chassis from the bottom, which holds in the rear suspension arms and pivots for that. To get the bearings out of the gear box, I usually press them with my finger/thumb to get them out, or I use one of my hex drivers and push on them. I do the same thing for other bearings, like the hubs and bellcrank / steering rack.

Remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the chassis that hold the center diff mount in place and remove the center diff mount. Remove cross pin 9587. Pull on the drive cup to remove it. With your front/rear diff removed push on the end of the input gear shaft to push it through. At this point you should be able to get a grip on it from inside of your gearbox to remove it.

With a Sledge it's a lot easier to remove the center diff mount to free up the center driveshafts than it is to remove the gearboxes.

Back