to synth or not to synth

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truglodite

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i just got a JR XR3i & am totally satisfied with it. i considered the XS3i, but for about $80 more i couldn't talk myself into it. the XR3i has all the features of the XS3i, but without the synth. i heard synth radios can be glitchy (immature technology), and i don't know why anyone would need more than 2 or 3 sets of X-tals anyways. on top of that, 2 extra sets of x-tals would cost no more than $50.

i'd appreciate hearing the pros & cons of synth radios from someone with synth experience. i still haven't seen a need to go synth except to say "nya nya nya nya nya, i have 30 channels & you don't."

I have the synth radio and I love it. I ran in a parkinglot with a bunch of people and I was the only one not having any problems with glitches.

"What? Someone is running 65? Ok ill just switch to 68."

I always try to stay at least 3 frequencies away.

I ran the Lynx 3D setup for quite awhile. I only had one problem that I can prove was related to the synthesizing. The Novak XXtra reciever jumped channels and caused a runaway. The channel pot was stuck in between channels. That is a good reason to use a failsafe.

I'm now running the the JR XS3. I've not had any problems with it. I personally like the feel of it over the Lynx. Although, the Lynx had a few more features.

You will really appreciate the synthesized radio if you race. If you go to a large race and you only have a couple of frequency cystals it can be hard to find a frequency clip. There have been times that my synthesized radio has allowed me to practive when my friends stood around waiting on a clip. Besides, l need all the practice I can get...hehe

Yes, you can have a clip.

Yes, you can run no matter what.

Yes, better than AM.

Yes, there is nothing like being able to say when asked, "I'm on them all, Thank you!"

Originally posted by Truglodite
...i heard synth radios can be glitchy (immature technology),...

The technology isn't the immature part of this puzzle. The application of the technology is "immature". The glitches that people experience are more related to material flaws, like the potentiometer getting stuck as mentioned by Backspur. You will find that almost every radio system out there has some kind of glitching problem, and the problems can usually be traced back to some kind of material flaw, install issue, environmental issue or operator issue.

... and i don't know why anyone would need more than 2 or 3 sets of X-tals anyways.

If you bash in a very small crowd (2 - 3 people), then you might only need a couple of crystals. If you get into racing or bash with much larger crowds, you might find that a couple of spares won't cut it. With the synthesized set-up, you adjust the potentiometer and go. No problems.

On top of that, a lot of the synth radios operate in the 75Mhz FM band. This separates you from the preponderance of stock radio users that operate in the 27Mhz AM band.

... i still haven't seen a need to go synth except to say, "nya nya nya nya nya, i have 30 channels & you don't!"

Of course, there is always the Nanny Nanny Poo Poo factor.

I run the HiTec Lynx 3D with spectra module and Novak receiver, full synth on both in the 75Mhz band. Do I race? No. Do I have a huge crowd to run with? Not yet. Why do I have it?

Nya, nya, nya, nya...

You go Sky! Kick back with the big words dude. Folks like me get lost with stuff like Poo Poo Factor.

Sky it 100% correct. We run every weekend and more and more people are showing up. Early on, I only had 1 set of crystals, and my friend had a few. Guess what. We still had to take turns running with the other people even though between the 2 of us, we had 3 sets of crystals. It just so happened that the guys that showed up had the same frequencies.

I now have 30 channels to choose from and have not problems with crossing frequencies. We also went to a track where you have to reserve your channel. It just so happens, when there were a few channels left, a guy came and only had the same frequency I was using. I either had to take turns with him or, just change my channel. Guess what, I have 30 channels to choose from and didn't have to do the take turn thing..

Nya, nya, nya...

For all the reasons that have already been articultated already are good reasons for synth. Lets face it, most of us who are into rc's are into cool toys and tools, and the synth is both.

Back