Tamiya Dark Impact Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Before I get started, I would like to say a few words about the CowRC Jumbo Screw Catcher work mat I recently received that will be the work surface for this build and all those that follow.

For years I have been using a black Upgrade rubber pit mat. It did the job, but I found myself loosing hardware on occasion and as you know if you have ever worked on an RC, almost all the plastics are black. On a black work surface, some of the smaller plastic parts can get lost. The recessed areas that are supposed to be for screws and such are not deep enough to really hold too much as well. As mentioned, it does the job as advertised, but I found myself covering the whole thing with a towel to work on which defeats the purpose.

Along comes the CowRC mat with its 1/2" tall sides and part corrals along with the super sweet magnetic white surface.

DarkImpact007.jpg

Plenty big enough for any build. Plenty of space in the parts corrals for the various packages of hardware, turnbuckles, bearings gears and other small items that tend to get lost.

DarkImpact015.jpg

No more putting the hardware in tupperware for me during a build. I always knocked them over at least twice during a build anyway.

Did I mention that the surface is magnetic? You drop a screw, nut, e-clip or whatever else you have that's made of steel and it just sticks. No bouncing away. No getting lost.

If there is such a thing as a perfect mat to build an RC on, this is it in my book.

It gets the robmob 3 thumbs way up?

Anyway, this is a build thread so on to the build.................

(I botched the saving of the pics for the web so they are at a lower resolution than they should be. It won't happen again on future pics.)

Boxed items going into this build. Since this is a Rolex build, I use a cheap servo for the steering. I could go with no servo, but I don't like the front wheels flopping around.
DarkImpact001.jpg

The un-boxing.
DarkImpact002.jpg

DarkImpact003.jpg

Hardware before I deposited them into the parts corrals.
DarkImpact006.jpg

Easiest thing to do first is put together the tires and wheels. No glue of course.
DarkImpact004.jpg

DarkImpact005.jpg

Evolution of the rear diff and tranny.
DarkImpact008.jpg

DarkImpact009.jpg

DarkImpact010.jpg

DarkImpact011.jpg

Rolex builds deserve a nicer looking motor than the stock buchi 540.
DarkImpact012.jpg

Motor gets mounted.
DarkImpact013.jpg

Rear tranny is completed.
DarkImpact014.jpg

Time to install the rear shock tower and arms.
DarkImpact016.jpg

DarkImpact017.jpg

The hub pins are held in place by a grub screw in the center. Tamiya machines a flat spot in the pins which is a nice touch.
DarkImpact018.jpg

DarkImpact019.jpg

Rear end is completed...
DarkImpact020.jpg

...and gets mounted to the chassis.
DarkImpact021.jpg

First phase of the build is completed. Next up is the front end.

I really dig that mat Rob. I've been doing the towel over a coffee table thing, and it ain't the best setup int he world. Looking forward to the completed rig too, nice ride.

Looks good, Rob. Keep us posted on your progress.

More progress....

Front Diff going together.
11DarkImpact001.jpg

11DarkImpact002.jpg

11DarkImpact003.jpg

Ready for mounting on the chassis.
11DarkImpact004.jpg

Steering assembly going together.
11DarkImpact005.jpg

11DarkImpact006.jpg

Front Diff mounted.
11DarkImpact007.jpg

Side shot showing the drive shaft.
11DarkImpact008.jpg

Wrapping up the front end.
11DarkImpact009.jpg

11DarkImpact010.jpg

11DarkImpact011.jpg

Time for shock building.
11DarkImpact012.jpg

11DarkImpact013.jpg

11DarkImpact014.jpg

Shocks mounted.
11DarkImpact015.jpg

Only a few more items left like the steering tie rods and servo. Stay tuned.

Nice looking ride so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Coming along very nicely my friend! I love me some tami :D

Heath

Lookin' good Rob!

Is the mat big enough for a Savage or SC8? I'm diggin' it and will add it to my want list if it's big enough.

Plenty big enough.

I can actually work on my Baja using the mat.

Wow very cool man looking good! Every new kit build I see here makes me want something to build! Can't wait to see er done.
I gotta get one of those mats! Fallen parts into dark carpet=fail :(

Last edited:
Build threads are always interesting. Especially when it's a not so common vehicle. What's up with the plastic ring and pinion Tamiya? This isn't 1988! :) I'm sure they offer upgrades.

Bushings instead of bearings for the steering posts too. They supplied bearings everywhere else though. Oddly, the instructions call them out as bearings.

Doesn't matter I suppose since it's for display.

At least this one has a simple body paint color. I just need to trim and spray black out of a rattle can. Unlike the Sideways build where I need to custom mix a color which I have yet to get right.

Next build will probably be the Tamiya Durga which looks bad ass.

Almost done.

Steering rods and servo have been mounted as well as the tires.
1DIPics001.jpg

1DIPics002.jpg

Wing has been cut, painted, decals applied and mounted.
1DIPics003.jpg

Shot of the body after trimming and painting. Can't get any easier than a single color paint job using a rattle can with no masking.
1DIPics004.jpg

Now the PITA part begins. I have to carefully trim around all the rest of the decals and apply them. Just have to take my time to do it right. You can get a taste of it from the wing pic.

One thing I discovered during the build. Tamiya does not support Hitec servos. They did not include a horn that would fit one. I had to dig out a spare Airtronics servo.

That looks sweet rob! Lovin' the black! Id have way too much fun building that ride. Lookin' good.....;)

I finally got all the decals cut and applied.

Here are the final build pics.

She's all ready for the shelf.

2008.jpg

2009.jpg

2012.jpg

2011.jpg

2010.jpg

Nice job1 I can definetly appreciate that build. I built one for my daughter a while back. It took a solid 24 hours of wrenching to build that puppy! Very solid rig though, holds up to new drivers very well. I would suggest Rolex that you put a brushles motor in it. The way the motor is positioned, small debri always found it's way into the motor. Several times I had to pull the motor to remove small rocks and such.

Brushed can will be just fine. Whatever the dust cloth can't remove, the can of compressed air will.:thumbup:

Back