T-maxx with ofna .21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonc0902

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey I have the opportunity to buy a t-maxx with the .21 above. Is this a good motor. Any concerns..any upgrades I should make to it if I buy it?

:cheers:

how much do they want?
How much fuel is ran through it?
did they upgrade the driveline too (diff gears, tranny gears & axles)?
does this person give you the feeling they know what they are doing when it comes to RCs?
too many variables to your question before anyone can give you an intelligent answer...

$300 shipped..ran only 3 tanks..He bought the truck and engine new2 wks ago. As far as I know nothing was upgraded. He got frustrated with nitro adjustments so he is going back into electric. I can take care of upgrades with the help of RCNITRO. I am not familar with the engine and it's abilities

it's not an easy engine to tune..if you are not well versed in what the engine should be doing then I wouldn't recommend it ...and I have one.....awsome power but w/o upgrading the drivetrain you WILL break it....axles and diffs at least....

Well he dropped the price even lower after talking with him, so I went with it. I got everything for $200 shipped. Would you mind giving me a list of parts I should change out. He did tell me that a robinson racing metal spur gear was put in to help support the power. Any suggestions on tuning? He has only ran 1/2 tank so it is not broken in yet.

first get RRP diff gears (some people like the maxximizers, I can't comment...don't have any) really you want to run 1/8 scale diffs but that's about a 200 dollar conversion....but for what you are going to eat up w/ that mill it's the best and cheapest way to go in the long run.....then get the HCR tranny gear set or the RRP equivalent.....if it doesn't yet get an FOC (forward only kit) that removes the reverse, but that mill will trash it anyway.....get aluminum Diff cases and Bulkheads too...but at that point you may as well do the 1/8 scale diff conversion......that mill is like cramming a 350 in a beetle......you are gonna eat stuff like candy.....good luck

any suggestions where to buy?...thanks for your help!!!

Plaidfish said:
first get RRP diff gears (some people like the maxximizers, I can't comment...don't have any) really you want to run 1/8 scale diffs but that's about a 200 dollar conversion....

LOL... I'm selling my Maximizers with the RRP diff gears on em with the bulkless... i have a pair of 1/8th bulkless, so i need to sell those for gears... :hammer:

check w/ Rushrc.com ....bruce is a sponsor of the site and has good prices on stuff....the parts aren't listed on his site but I'm sure he can get em to ya.....

Plaid nothing against you I had a maxx w/ a ofna/picco .21 which I assume this is, it was difficult to tune compared to most but as far as upgrading the drivetrain there is really no need unless you're putting I big block such as .26, .28 and up, I raced mine w/ stock axles, diff, and tranny, just a different chassis running it hard w/ no problems! you can see it in my album before I put the engine in! :2cents:

maxxFX said:
Plaid nothing against you
none taken....i've seen people do that too but were always wrenching....I got mine to a point of minimal breakage but before I did, I kept tearing up diffs like crazy w/ mine......the rest of the parts are just things that the maxx is weak in anyway.......the P2 is just too much mill for that truck stock or not.....I kept mine cause it was novelty....lil MT that just hauls ass but it's hard to keep the wheels on the ground......I finally just set mine up to run on the road only.....or packed grass feilds.........didn't really like how much of a PITA that mill was not only in the tuneing but the carb is known to have airleak issues and mine did exactly that.....if the mill was more stable it would just flat out kick ass.....that's all.....

Its another story when it comes to my LST and the collari .30, I broke everything, I had to go waist deep in $ to get it right, everything from diffs to axles to wheels it stripped or broke it all!

its sad yet good. now you have the upgraded parts.

Back