Share your 1/10 Baja Rey 2.0 mods and advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fast77

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I’ve been looking for information on the 1/10 Baja Rey 2.0 but everything I’ve found is geared towards the 1/6 Super Baja Rey. Some may apply but I’m interested specifically in the 1/10 version. What advice do you have for a new owner of this truck?

Thanks!

I’ve been looking for information on the 1/10 Baja Rey 2.0 but everything I’ve found is geared towards the 1/6 Super Baja Rey. Some may apply but I’m interested specifically in the 1/10 version. What advice do you have for a new owner of this truck?

Thanks!
Let's see it. I don't own one either. Merely admired one through this digital to analog media called pics.

Let's see it. I don't own one either. Merely admired one through this digital to analog media called pics.
IMG_8006.jpeg

Oh man. That's a badwordhere nice one.

The only thing I see right off that I would want is a front bumper. I'd have that body shredded in no time I think.

So 3 questions right off.

1st, from what I have found the biggest complaint seems to be sloppy steering. What would be a good replacement servo to work with the spektrum electronics? I’ll probably do the Vitivon steering components while I have it apart as well.

2nd, is there anything that can be done to reduce the flex in the bed?

Last, what would be the difference between a 2s battery and a 3s with the throttle limit set to 75%? I see a lot people prefer 2s but I’ll probably run this in the sand some and the extra punch from 3s would be appreciated.

Welcome to the site. Nice ride!

For the bed twist I'm assuming shoe goo over the drywall tape in the underside of the body would be what you want.

So 3 questions right off.

1st, from what I have found the biggest complaint seems to be sloppy steering. What would be a good replacement servo to work with the spektrum electronics? I’ll probably do the Vitivon steering components while I have it apart as well.

2nd, is there anything that can be done to reduce the flex in the bed?

Last, what would be the difference between a 2s battery and a 3s with the throttle limit set to 75%? I see a lot people prefer 2s but I’ll probably run this in the sand some and the extra punch from 3s would be appreciated.
You can run any servo in there. I'd recommend a Hitec or a Savox servo. There are some other really nice servos out there if you look around though. Tekin servos are really nice. It's 4wd, so I'd be looking at something like the Tekin T-360 if you want speed, or the T-440 if you want torque. Both should do fine in that truck, but they are pricey. So shop around, find similar specs, and gather a few options to consider and research.

I looked around for hopups for it, but there doesn't seem to be many that I can find. Everything is for the 1/6 Super Baja Rey.

Whatever battery you run it on, just keep an eye on motor temps. And if running in sand, I would suggest getting a chassis cover. Sand destroys everything on an RC.

Finally got the chance to run this thing today! A 3s with the throttle limit at 75% is about perfect. Ran 2 batteries through it with 3 good crashes and one stick jammed between the front A arms and nothing broke. This is a pretty solid truck and a lot of fun, I think I made the right choice!

IMG_8077.jpeg

IMG_8078.jpeg

Man i’d love to give one of those trucks a rip one day. Interested in the behaviour of the rear suspension/live axle.

Man i’d love to give one of those trucks a rip one day. Interested in the behaviour of the rear suspension/live axle.
I expected it to want to roll more than it did. I was on a pretty ideal surface for sliding though. The crashes were 100% my fault, playing with 100% throttle and carrying way too much speed without room to turn. It’s so much fun to hold it wide open but it gets going soooo fast in very little space! Overall I’d say it was pretty balanced on or off the throttle. Loved the stability control once I figured it out. Drifting between and around the trees was easy to control and really fun.

So I’ve has the opportunity to run this truck three times now. Each time I’ve run two 3s 5000ma batteries through it. I get 12 - 15 minutes out of a battery so maybe an hour and twenty minutes total run time. Here are my experiences with it so far.

The first time was perfect smooth dirt with a lot of trees. It handled amazing doing 4 wheel power drifts through the trees! This was the most fun I’ve had with it, definitely going back there!

The second time was at home. Blasting around our gravel driveways between the house and barn in the dark. Fun for a little bit after work but this truck was meant for more!

Today I took it up into an area I ride a MX bike. Super rough with random 3 - 5” rocks. I probably won’t take it back up there for that beating but I have yo say it’s a tough rig and was completely unfazed after multiple high speed tumbles! This was also the first time traction rolls became an issue. Either had to brake for the turns, or have enough power available to keep the tires spinning. There were some nice mounds to jump though and it flys level, lands pretty nice too!

The stability control needs to be adjusted for each type of terrain. Seems to work good if I let it do its thing but I’m too used to trying to correct for any deviation. Today I had it turned off because any time it would kick to one side or the other I would counter steer and then it would go that direction. It was just too hard to trust it on those narrow trails with boulders and trees on either side!

Last the suspension is awesome! Other than big rocks that would knock it one direction or the other it soaks up the terrain and goes where you want.

Really enjoying this thing, still have several places I want to take it and see what it can do. I do want to start collecting some tools though. I would also really like to find a “field” bag to transport it in. I used to have a T Maxx 3.3 and a bag that was very convenient to transport it in. I can’t find anything that will fit this truck though. Most RC bags are 23” and this thing is 25” long.

After today I can also see the need to tighten up the steering. On smooth surfaces it handles great. On the gnarly stuff I was driving in today it was kind of a handful at any speed.

In the spring I think I’ll build a small track behind the barn. Maybe see if there is anybody near by that would like to come up and race!

Back