RJ Speed Speedway Sprinter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
This is going to be an adventure.
I went to the nearest track to race indoor off road buggies. I have been kinda interested in oval track but could not figure out the classes and schedule. After racing off-road dirt all summer I have kinda gotten to know people and who race what during the winter. After talking to the owner for a couple hours really, if you add it all up. I decided to go with an RJ Speed Speedway sprinter. The track calls them USAC midgets to separate the class from the ones with big wings on the roof.
As a total newbie to carpet I have been watching a ton of videos and then talking to the shop owner I have to get a quick tutorial on tire cleaning and compound. Plus a bunch of other tips.
There are plenty of Legends videos information out there but not much on this kit.
I bought the kit and all the hop up parts that are allowed. Plus all the lubes and tire compounds, bearings, brushless motor/ ESC two battery packs, the works and it cost less than $600.00. That is for EVERYTHING in one shot with advice from someone that has three world championships. So I’m starting from scratch and jumping in to racing it in about two weeks.

D858987C-14CD-4609-BA56-A7946069AF6C.jpeg

701AED09-81F3-4C86-A09E-767ACF4525D5.jpeg

Buddy, buddy, buddy. I'll be cheering you on from the cheap seats. :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Oh, and no harm no foul with the 'midget' designation. On a tight track they'll run with the big cars.

'AC' (1970s USAC wingless sprint 1:1 crew)

Last edited:
I've always wondered about the RJ Speed kits. Can't wait to see how this build goes!

Thanks ahr
So far the build is going pretty good but I forgot to get a servo saver.
It is a simple design but very specific in the assembly.
So I’m just getting it mocked up and polishing the metal parts so they are super smooth.

image.jpg

I got a servo saver actually two because they are plastic and I can’t drive.
Also picked up a 3/32 driver. I built the whole kit with the supplied tools.
Also needed to extend the sensor port for charging. The battery is zip tied in and the leads are hard to get to. So I moved the plug to the front.

Body is painted. It’s a metallic white backed with white. Gives it a gold shimmer. Can’t wait ti see how it turns out.

B118CD4A-7BB9-44ED-BB02-7B1142C48FE2.jpeg

34D89EA2-5700-498B-88C9-B4D361BA2292.jpeg

I got a servo saver actually two because they are plastic and I can’t drive.
Also picked up a 3/32 driver. I built the whole kit with the supplied tools.
Also needed to extend the sensor port for charging. The battery is zip tied in and the leads are hard to get to. So I moved the plug to the front.

Body is painted. It’s a metallic white backed with white. Gives it a gold shimmer. Can’t wait ti see how it turns out.

View attachment 154258

View attachment 154259
Nice progress. you're making me want one but i told myself that i can't buy anymore kits until next year

I am definitely feeling this race car. It is simple but it’s going to a blast racing around with other cars.

I did not know the legends cars from Bloink and RJ speed are the biggest selling race cars world wide. I can see why. Basic materials and affordability.

I know I have a lot to learn this winter. They have open wheel Friday. And because of my work. I can go to the track at lunch a couple days a week with no problem and kill a battery pack or two.

0ED1C792-E704-477D-99A2-0833E59A9B00.jpeg

FADC2E36-557C-4001-8330-B189A69E5522.jpeg

The battery pack for this car is zip tied to the bottom of the chassis. And the battery leads come out of the back side of the battery near the motor. This puts the charging leads in an inconvenient spot. I could not find a long lead so I got a pack of two short 2 s extensions they are about ten inches long. I hard wired one extension into the vehicle so now the charge plug is at the front. The other lead I attached to a dean plug adapter. Theses are required at the track and come on the battery.
I have this small single charger I bought a couple years ago but needed a dual charger so I have kept it as a back up. It is 120/12 v and I made up a plug set up for it. The indoor racing is a very tight work spot and this is nice so I can have it in a convenient spot while I’m doing the tire wash and prep.

I even found a cool box for it .

AC531BEA-4BF5-4A87-8A0E-2E7C369C7385.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We try to make it to Meridian speedway here in Idaho at least twice a summer, "unfortunately we missed this summer", and
the Winged Sprints are our favorite.
It's amazing how fast they zip around a 1/4 mile track.
Awesome build man, she looks great.

Thanks
It really is amazing how fast some cars go in the oval. Last night I got my first real taste of oval racing. I was running six to seven second laps with a short corse truck in hard tires. The track is a big asphalt super speedway. There is a thing called an X-Ray GT and a kyosho converted from nitro to electric. They could lay down four second laps, Lap after lap. The ten lap race went 55 seconds.

Lucky number 7 huh, guess I don't need to wish you good luck, but still will. :thumbs-up:
I bought the number sheet with the high numbers thinking I would use 6. But after looking at the car. 7 just seemed to fit. They don’t actually use the numbers for anything.

I bought the number sheet with the high numbers thinking I would use 6. But after looking at the car. 7 just seemed to fit. They don’t actually use the numbers for anything.
Great build of a super car. Series sounds great. Anxious now to read your Open Wheel Friday race report. Good luck.

You wouldn't want a '6' anyway. In the midget and sprint car world, any number that can be read upside down is considered a bad luck number.

'AC'

Great build of a super car. Series sounds great. Anxious now to read your Open Wheel Friday race report. Good luck.

You wouldn't want a '6' anyway. In the midget and sprint car world, any number that can be read upside down is considered a bad luck number.

'AC'
O man that’s funny . I wanted 6 because the number sheet has a 9 and I figure I can get two body's out one sheet of numbers. Glad I did not jinx myself.

Hey Iowa crawler, your build has my sprint car juices flowing again. Gotta get me a kit, if only for a shelf queen.

On a personal note, at image is the sprinter I crewed on in the '70s. Pits at the 'Flying Mile', Springfield, Illinois. Track was w-a-y too big for our little 327. We ran back of the pack in the B-main. After the event our driver climbed out shaking his head, "Never went that fast in my life, and never again here."
We got a good laugh out of that and could brag we did a big-deal USAC event. Once. Cheers. 'AC'

20221020_073142(edit)_resize RCT.jpg

Back