Redcat Racing Aftershock 3.0 Review

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmosGoat

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Since i had a hard time finding much info on this truck after i bought it i decided i would do a little review writeup for future buyers. I will post pics and keep this updated as i beat on/run the truck.

To start i bought the truck brand new for $115 at a hobby show. It was such a great deal i couldn't pass it up. I looked over the truck very well before i bought it and it looked and felt pretty rugged so I figured, why not?

First impression after opening the box was, WOW this thing is huge. Redcat calls it a 1:8 scale but i think the chassis is more of a 1:10 with a 1:8 body on it. It was nicely packed and secure in the box. The radio is a little cheap but i didnt expect greatness, just working gear.

I pulled it out of the box and gave it a good once over to make sure no screw were loose, everything checked out. Installed the batteries and made sure all servos worked, check. Next was time to fire it up. I had some flooding issues but it was my mistake by not checking the HSN before trying to start it. Once i cleared the motor and set the needle right it fired right off. Their break in procedure was a little vague so i used a method similar to traxxas' method.

Just finished breaking it in last night and it seems to be a pretty strong runner. Only time till tell if it was a good investment. Initial signs are yes. I will get some pics up soon before i start bashing it hard.

The only thing i did not like was the lack of access to the motor and gas tank with the body on. I quickly fixed that with drill and a sanding flapper wheel.

Keep us updated. With my budget, Redcats are starting to look good. I've heard pretty good things about them. Not a ton of good reviews, but the couple of people I've heard talk about them had good things to say. Thanks for the info

wow - that's a GREAT price - good job!

I don't have the aftershock but I agree. For the price they are very nice. Not a top of the line nitro but better then other cheap ones. I bought all three of mine from ebay new for less then $400. I could not pass up that deal and I don't regret it at all. My 1/10 Tsunami is super fast and has taken a beating, the 1/8 Landslide Monster Truck has gotten less use then the Tsunami but so far is a beast, and my 1/8 Twister on road, that I put a 2 speed trans in, was clocked at 73mph.
REDCAT IS GREAT!

Update 11-1-09

So i took the Aftershock out for some proper bashing today. We have had some pretty steady rain for what seems to be months so the places to bash were all pretty muddy. We found one place that had some mud but was fairly dry in most places.

This was the first time really beating on the new truck. First impressions are great. The Aftershock handled the bumps and rough ground very well. My buddy was running a Traxxas Slayer and i was impressed with how well the Aftershock kept up. Now it wasn't real close but the dollar to performance ratio real showed today. we swapped trucks for a bit and he was impressed with the power and speed. So far no casualties. I did lose the bottom spring mount on one from shock but i found it and it was due to a run in with the backside of a very large curb. Clipped it back and and off we went. Before going out today i did add one small thing to the truck. I added a Traxxas exhaust deflector to stop the exhaust from blowing right at the inside of the body. It is just the right length to blow out the side under the body.

The only complaint i had from the day was that the throttle servo seemed to not want to apply the brake at the end of the running. I didnt get a chance to change out the servo batteries so that may have been the problem. I will check that out this week. I plan to replace the AA holder with a hump pack.

Some picks after the bashing and a quick clean off.

Last edited:
OK figured out the problem with the throttle servo. I took the servos out to plastidip them for winter. Then i pulled the servo out it turned both directions just fine. SO when putting it back together it hung up again. It was the linkage that was binding up. I made a little adjustment and its good to go. It will be getting another beating this weekend. Ill update again after.

Just broke mine today - nothing big, but an annoying problem... roasted the spur gear (i'm only about 3 tanks in after break in and wasn't really ragging on it)

Knowing this was a problem part when i bought it - i have a spare, but even after i fix it, i'll be on the look out for a gear from another make that might be more durable.. especially with the 3.5 motor, it seems to shred them up based on what i've been reading.

Well this will be the final installment as i sold the Aftershock.

Overall i was very impressed with the truck from a dollar to performance standpoint. No it wasn't a slayer or a SC8/SC10 but it was a fun truck and served a purpose. Which for me was a cheap beater. I didnt really get a chance to run it as much as i would have liked and that was partially the reason for selling. I also found that a SC truck just didnt suite my driving habits.

As i said before the truck had good power and ran pretty reliably. The suspension was very adjustable and came with front and rear sway bars. The shocks could have used some different weight oil because they were a little stiff on rebound. Handling was pretty good, the truck would turn on a dime. It did tend to get a little tail happy though. Under full throttle from a stand still it would want to swing the back end out a little.

Its gone now via ebay. Hopefully this review will help people in the future.

Back