Picco boost .28 or LRP zr.32 for Savage XL?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer ERCM moded engine's over clocked any day .

I never said clocked picco was garbage you did , what I said was pretty much every picco I ever owned was junk and only one that did run good were moded by a pro , and its not all we's safe to go by what specks read especially when they use that to try and sell more of them.

Ok sounds good.

Price being no object - Picco.

Here in Europe the Boost is not even available - and in the US it's pricey (IMO) - and not even available at amain anymore, so no discounts..., while the LRP ZR.30X is available for cheap. I have the (Nosram version of the) 30X in my LST2 and it's fantastic. I've got a 454 in my other LST2 - also very good(and cheap - used to be available on ebay for a 100 bucks..) As was the LRP Spec 3 before it, for 8+ gallons. I've never had "fuel boiling" issues. Maybe your plug is too hot? Odonnell medium purple plugs are great in these engines.. It also seems to me some people try to tune more for idle than performance. IMO these engines have to be tuned a tad rich, which requires blipping the throttle to keep them cleared out. But they'll run well and strong all day.... And last long too.

The Picco should be better - but they cost more. I'd expect it to have a narrower tuning window, but to idle better and probably have more power - definitely on the top end compared to the .32. The ZR.30X is a totally awesome engine.. Super easy to tune too - and keeps a tune. One of the best tuning engines I've had for sure. And it really rips in my LST2...

Last edited:
Ebay. Thats where I got mine. Only on one order, one of the two came as a bump-start, I ordered pull-starts, but I'll eventually find a use for it.

Triton Rc sells all the parts and motors from Picco. You can also buy the parts from amain. eBay and absolutehobbyz have the piccos as well.

Towerhobbies have everything you need for the LRP, I vouch for the LRP!! THEY ARE BEAST!!!

Yeah I'm on the fence for either picco or lrp I've read mixed opinions about both. I guess it would just be preference.

I've bought an LRP zr.32 spec 2. strippin the motor down now, and making sure everything is up to par. got some buku power caps and aluminum composite clutch shoes, vented clutch bell with slotted flywheel. this thing is purty! got the engine for 189 new(without tax)

I've bought an LRP zr.32 spec 2. strippin the motor down now, and making sure everything is up to par. got some buku power caps and aluminum composite clutch shoes, vented clutch bell with slotted flywheel. this thing is purty! got the engine for 189 new(without tax)

Make sure you check your needle settings prior to break in, mine were way out of wack not even close to there recommended break in settings. Glad to hear you got one of these beasts.

I would have made u a heck of a deal on mine. No different than the 4.6 in my opinion. Aluminum composite? What's that?

check em out on buku site, I'm sure i worded it incorrectly, just hyped up that i got some beefed up clutch shoes. and hulk, I'm starting break in this weekend, I'm stoked!

check em out on buku site, I'm sure i worded it incorrectly, just hyped up that i got some beefed up clutch shoes. and hulk, I'm starting break in this weekend, I'm stoked!

Aren't buku shoes only for buku flywheels?

no difference though eh? thats funny cause the displacement is way different, the ports are different, the whole thing is an upgrade. Also the owner at the hobby shop over seems to think the .32 is a HUGE upgrade from the 4.6... and from what I've seen the 4.6 isnt special, not saying the 32 is or isnt. let a guy have his glory, and enjoy his engine:)

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

no, they fit right on mine

no difference though eh? thats funny cause the displacement is way different, the ports are different, the whole thing is an upgrade. Also the owner at the hobby shop over seems to think the .32 is a HUGE upgrade from the 4.6... and from what I've seen the 4.6 isnt special, not saying the 32 is or isnt. let a guy have his glory, and enjoy his engine:)

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

no, they fit right on mine

Enjoy your motor.

Buku clutch shoes are made for different flywheels, just make sure you order the right ones for you application, but it's also recomended to order a buku flywheel with your clutch shoes. I have the BBK shoes on my FLM savage.

Nice choice of engine hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
Buku clutch shoes are made for different flywheels, just make sure you order the right ones for you application, but it's also recomended to order a buku flywheel with your clutch shoes. I have the BBK shoes on my FLM savage.

Nice choice of engine hope you enjoy.

yeah I'm ordering the entire buku assembly later on next week. as for now, the clutch shoes fit perfectly, but i will need to upgrade soon, i dont like stock;) but man am i excited for this setup, experimenting with new things is always fun, the only thing left stock on my truck after all this are the a-arms and shock towers!

in the truck, tightened everything down and ready for break in!

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 241
this LRP has SO MUCH compression! i love it, that can only mean more power!

one problem i ran into during trying to get it running ( my battery died on my gow plug igniter during attempts) my needles seemed really out of wack out of the box, the engine just would not start. it would run for about 5 seconds and die, I'm going to try again tomorrow, but has anyone else ran into this problem? i checked plug, got brand new fuel, and i made sure my engine was all sealed up last night and checked fuel lines. I've NEVER had this problem with breaking in engines until now. could it be the needle settings being wacked out from the factory?