Nitro Storage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KROGOTH

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok, so I'm cleaning up my Slayer so that I can ship it back home. Gonna be moving around here in country soon and wont have the time nor the place to play with my R/C car.

So my question is, besides cleaning the outside, what all do I need to do to properly store my engine? I've already given it some extra WD-40 (my after run oil :p ), and I intend on putting the engine back in the box it came in since thats nice and well padded for the rough trip through the mail.

ANything else I should consider doing?

Sounds like your good I might just try to keep it away for extremely cold temps and moisture. Good luck and have fun moving!

Put a lot of ARO in the mill if you won't be using it for awhile.

You can always let most of it run out later by pulling the plug and filter and turning it upside down letting it run out with the piston at the bottom.

If at all possible, seal the mill in one of those vacuum food sealers. It is what I used to do when I stored my nitro mills to keep all the air out.

I agree with robmob. But DO NOT use WD40!! Its not a good lubricant for nitro engines.

lol WD40 has worked just fine for me so far.

Wish I could seal the engine up in such a way as to keep the air out, but no luck. I'm in Iraq. I'm lucky to have what little in hobby supplies as I have now lol.

WD40 evaporates and leaves the engine dry. Get some real ARO.

Yes, I will go out to baghdad, find the nearest hobby store and snap up some ARO. Really isnt an option out here lol.

Marvel Mystery oil or any oil of similar viscosity should do. Basically something that doesn't evaporate.

Yes, I will go out to baghdad, find the nearest hobby store and snap up some ARO. Really isnt an option out here lol.

Lol!:hehe:
That was great I needed that.

LMFAO

WD-40 is better than nothing at all. It will be fine.

+1 on the WD-40 its all I ever use. I let a mill sit for over a year with just WD in it and you would think it was just broke in! ;)

I heard that automatic transmission oil is great for preserving engines, you might just want to clean it before you use it again

WD40 = not good for you engine. Its better than nothing, but it's mainly a degreaser which will remove the protective oils from the inside your engine and dry it out. It also evaporates quickly, leaving your engine dry, susceptible to rust, and poorly lubricated. If you're in a pinch, its better than nothing but long term it spells nothing but trouble. Marvel Mystery oil works great as ARO which can be found almost anywhere. Even Caster oil will work if you can't find anything else, just not WD40.

Good luck.

BN

Last edited:
If you don't mind tearing down and cleaning the engine when you get home, you might try using Break-Free (CLP) that is used for the cleaning of M-16s and the like.

are morgan fuels with after run oil the same as using after run oil?

ok hear goes my first post. after run oil? Marvel Mystery oil works good, i also use it in my street truck. store fuel? at the food store get doles fruit in a plastic jar. put your fuel in them, 8 jars hold one gal, 16 oz in each jar, then store most of your fuel in the frig, and take just 2 jars to the field. the frig has lower moisture than outside air. be sure you mark them so someone doesn't try to drink them. also sunlight degrades methanol, but not very fast.