Nitro Fuel Color

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
How come some fuels are blue and others are red? What is the difference?

I dont beleve the color makes a difference, the color is just a dye the manufacture uses.

Maskale is correct about the color. Dyes are used by many of the manufacturers.
As far as the differences in fuels, do a search on this forum and you will find an overwhelming amount of information.

Here is the full story. I went to a LHS 2 weeks ago to get some 20% fuel for a brand new Savage SS. The only fuel they had was branded with the LHS’s name on it. The label also said it was made for the LHS by Powermaster in Elgin, Texas. The fuel was blue in color. I thought was a bit odd since most fuel looks red.

Fast forward to yesterday, I went back to the LHS for a small servo saver and I noticed that all of the blue nitro (a lot of it) was gone and it was replaced by red nitro. The label on the bottles was the same, still says that it is made by Powermaster. I asked the LHS why I got blue fuel and now there is red fuel. They said that the blue stuff was the first batch made for them and the dye was wrong. They said they got a new shipment. This makes me wonder if anything else is wrong with the fuel I got. It seems as though they got rid of all the blue Nitro. The LHS claims that the blue nitro is fine. Should I use the blue stuff on a brand new S-25?

man its cool, your engine will not know the difference. I have used clear, red, blue, orange, purple, green it is just a color and I know which fuel you are talking about but I just can't remember the name of the fuel that is made in Elgin TX but I have used it before, if I have to guess I think it is called Trinity here. Color does not matter but brand, nitro and oil content does, and you may have to make tunning adjustments if you change brand or nitro content, but not if the maker changes color.

I had a similar case, I went in to buy fuel and they did not have what I ususally buy so I go to the next brand and they had it in orange (the color I have always seen it in) and they had purple too. So I asked whats the deal, he said the maker just changed their dye to purple. So I said give me the purple being that it would be the fresher batch. But that does not mean you need to go buy the red cause it is fresher, the blue is good.

My guess is, it's for storage and logging at a warehouse. Kind of like bread in a supermarket... ]

for instance,
Blue = bottled in january
red = bottled in febuary
green = bottled in march
purple = bottled in april

Nitro doesn't last forever, even bottled. It may just be a visual way that the MFR keeps track of what's old and new fuel.

Who knows. Dye is dye, fuel isn't fuel though. If it's the same MFR that bottled it, your probably going to be fine. It's when you jump brands and/or nitro percentages is where you run into problems. Even with that, all you need to do is set the engine to break in settings for the first tank or so just so you can re-tune for the new brand of fuel.

you can put a few drops of food coloring in your fuel, to change the color if you wanted i saw this in a article of car action it said something about if you didnt want your buddies knowing what kind of fuel you run to do this!!!!whats the point!!

my lhs have these drops that can make ur fuel smell like cherries or grapes or coconuts, i dont see the point, but it might be cool. I just hope people dont start sniffing there exhaust-lol

I dragrace quads and we use the fuel smelly stuff because it runs off pure alcohol. And that pure alcohol smells bad when there is not something like smelly stuff in it.

[move][shadow=purple]Mach.21[/shadow][/move]

I use the parma speedscent stuff in my fuel.I always go with bubblegum,personally I like the way it smells.sure it doesn't do anything for performance but at least you're not left with that nitro smell burning your nostrils when you run.one bottle can treat upto 3 gallons of fuel so it's not like your spending alot on it.

Maskale said:
man its cool, your engine will not know the difference. I have used clear, red, blue, orange, purple, green it is just a color and I know which fuel you are talking about but I just can't remember the name of the fuel that is made in Elgin TX but I have used it before, if I have to guess I think it is called Trinity here. Color does not matter but brand, nitro and oil content does, and you may have to make tunning adjustments if you change brand or nitro content, but not if the maker changes color.

What type of fuel did you use that was clear?

canadian-mgt said:
at least you're not left with that nitro smell burning your nostrils when you run.

Holly poop!
Thats my favorite part of this entire hobby.
Sometimes I jones for the smell. Ill close the doors and start it up just for the smell.

Fore some reason I don't think I'm alone in my addiction to the smell of nitro. Flavoring it is outright blasphemy.

Yes it was odonnel that is clear, but for some reason i did not like the way it ran. i dont like that flavor stuff you can add, one guy at the track had grape and he must have put the whole bottle in the gallon cause it was so strong it was making me sick just from smelling it.

I am with Fasteddy, i like the smell of just the nitro, but to much can make you sick and burn your eyes, especially when you close the doors. LOL i tried to break in my frist nitro in the livingroom, i soon took it out side though.

I think bomber is running odonnel with some added castor oil... when he runs it, it smells like burnt gun powder. He likes it, but it gives me a headache. Although, it is a better smell than my trinity mhp. That stuff just stinks!