nitro fire

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe7404

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
at a MSDS site it said to NOT use dry chemical extinguisher on a nitromethane fire. look it up so you can get what you need. this should get it
http://www.mallchem.com/msds/englishhtml/N5740.htm

i keep a jar of water when in the field, water works good on methanol, just dont put in the RC.

I'm just going to throw this out there. for RC fuel, you mainly want to concentrate on the methanal, the 20 or 30% nitromethane is obsolete compared to the methanol. and i was looking through that msds and i dont agree with what they have as the flash point, and the nfpa ratings. But, I'm not a scientist lol

TO: darkslayor24 yep you have a very good point. i forgot again, that i hang around nitro drag race, guys that run more nitro. i have read , and experimented with straight methanol, by putting a fire out with water. works great. just dont but it in the fuel tank, dont ask.

i wouldnt think that water would work, i would think that it would just spread it. but i have never had to put out a nitro fire tho. i have found out that those little bottles with compressed fire suppressant work extremely well on Lipo fires and ESC fires.

Information on MSDS will vary from different manufacturers. Here's a link to nitro that says to use dry chem on small fires. http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927374
Methanol and nitro are both a class B fires being flammable liquids. Dry chem is rated for class B fires. Water extinguishes by removing heat. If it's a small fire of our nitro fuel, water will probably work if it's coming out of a garden hose. If it's a gallon and in your garage, you're probably in trouble and you should immediately request assistance! You better have at least a 5lb extinguisher or maybe bigger! If it's a truck that you don't like (like my HPI MT2), throw it out in the yard and let it burn!

Last edited: