new to the hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozo23

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i just got a traxxas nitro sport. i have already broke it in by using letting the firs tank just idle and the next 6 tanks running the car at less than 50% throttle. now that i have done that what should i do?

how do i tune the car? and is it easy? this is my first nitro rc anc my local hobby shop said they could tune it but i think i will have to pay. should i let them do it or should i take the time and do it myself?

do it yourself, its easy once you figure it out, it consists of turning 2 screws. I think theirs a sticky thread that explanes it.

i have looked at the chart but i noticed that it says to check the engine temperature. the problem is i dont have a temperature gun, so how would i judge the temperature? anything is that my nitro rc only has one adjustment and the idle adjustment, so any one got any advice?

what can happen if i dont tune the engine?

Welcome to RCNT friendo, if you dont tune the motor you wont experiance the true potential the motor has, as far as early wear or ruining the motor I'm not a nitro guy but somebody will chime in

i have looked at the chart but i noticed that it says to check the engine temperature. the problem is i dont have a temperature gun, so how would i judge the temperature? anything is that my nitro rc only has one adjustment and the idle adjustment, so any one got any advice?

what can happen if i dont tune the engine?

I would invest in a decent temp gun. Most will agree its really important to keep an eye on the temp. You should have a high speed needle and a low speed needle. Usually after the break in you can adjust the high speed needle in small increments by turning it in. Only do this at 1/8th turns. Once you've turned it do a couple of runs to make sure its still running right. You'll notice a great improvement in acceleration and top speed. This is were the temp gun will come in handy. You'll be able to check to see what the running temp is. Depending on your engine usually anything between 220 - 250F is ok. Temps over that and your too lean. When tuning make sure you still have a nice trail of smoke coming from the exhaust. No smoke and your running to lean and will damage the engine.

What engine is it?

the engine is a Traxxas TRX Pro .15 engine

Pro .15 Engine with two-needle carburetor

do it yourself, its easy once you figure it out, it consists of turning 2 screws. I think theirs a sticky thread that explanes it.

make sure you see blue smoke at all times and just lean it out enough to make it responsive to the throttle input you dont want it to bog when you hit the throttle and you dont want it do start to dye out when you go full speed .but mainle look for smoke smoke is good always remember that .jost google ron paris tuning guide he was the guru of nitro

if you are new to nitro trucks...learn the terminology asap...majority of ppl on this site know exactly what they are talking about but its hard trying to keep up if you dont know the terms they use

learn every part of the truck this will make it sooo much easier and btw dont give ur rig to the shop..do it yourself,,, hences the "hobby" aspect..belive me its half the fun

i would say since your new goto the hobby shop for big problems, like trannys and engines. i even took mine to the hobby shop for tuning. but the hobby shop around me let me watch and learn so i caught on really fast and it is always to have somebody to trust on call to help you with problems and give you a couple tips that pros might have taken a long time to figure out. so i would say to goto your local hobby shop to give you some simple pointers to put on the right path and good luck