New Revo = No Starty!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Sevier

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok... FINALLY got my new 3.3 in today, and got it out of the box, read the manual, watched the video, ate a hot pocket..... good to go. Popped some brand new batteries in, did all my checks, hooked up the starter... tried to turn over, and then Protection Mode kicks in, and I can't get the damn thing to start. I've been trying for the last 3 hours. It will try and turn over once, and then Protection mode again... did that for about 2 hours. Finally I get it where it will crank, (yes, I primed the fuel), and it just cranks and crank and cranks, and never starts. Both lights are good, glow plug and motor are green, but I'm getting nothing. i've tried priming some more, but from there I'm out of ideas.

If it's cold...have you tried heating up the head a bit before starting it? New motors are pretty tight and the heat expands them a bit to help with ignition.

Coil in the glow plug may be smooshed due to high compression.
Loosen the glow plug a bit.
if it needs replaced, replace it.
If the coils have been pushed up into the glow plug at all, but it still glows. It needs to be replaced.

thanks guys! I woke up at 6am this morning and the dang thing started right up... too early to start breaking it in, wouldnt that just piss the neighbors off... Nitro car running up and down the cul de sac at 6am.

Oh you have a few tanks to waste before you're running up and down the street anyway. Get it running! lol

I've had mine for about a month now(5308 revo) I live in il and had the same problem make sure its at room temp the first time you start it also you will need to get a new glow plug during or right after break-in if you follow break in procedures your going to have a blast with your new machine the thing is tough as hell I drive mine up trees !!!!!! bash it till it breaks

I had the same thing happen to me but it was 32 degrees outside.

Hot pockets are such a hearty meal..

u can loosen the glow plug a lil to help start-then tighten it back up-i try to always use the heat gun to pre-warm the engine-new engines r always hard to start the first time-hair dryer works to-u can ditch the blue glow plug wire to and use a glow plug ignitor-ez start batt. will last much longer also.

thanks guys.. rooom temperature did it.. BUT new problems...
Once I started tank one, I couldnt even keep it running. I have fuel coming out of the exhaust as well as oil, which tells me its running really really rich. I've tried leaning it up, but once I let off the trigger, it stalls and dies. I've raised the idle speed up, but its to the point to where if I brake, the idle slows down, but if I let off the brake, the idle speeds up to the point where the truck starts to roll, if I let the idle down again, stalls and dies at idle... i called Traxxas, and the guy went through some steps, but he really wasn't as helpful as I thought their customer service would be. I bought my kid a $200 Duratrax Raze ST, and broke parts during break in (ran it into a curb on 5th tank) and Duratrax walked me through the parts and sent them to me for free...

Also, I thought the Revo 3.3 had DUAL Steering Servos? was I mistaken?

The 5309 Revo and the PE have dual servos. The newer 5308 only uses 1.
As for your problem...sounds like you should make sure you are at break in settings on your HSN, LSN and idle gap, take out the plug clear any flooding. Reinstall plug and try preheating the engine.
The heat gun saved me alot of headache. It is easy to throw your needles out of whack starting a cold, new engine.

Just raise your throttle trim a bit to keep it chugging along at a decent idle so it won't stall. Factory settings pretty much choke an engine anyway, and tuning is next to useless during the break in process anyway from what I have read. I would just put it up against and outside wall with the idle set so it stays running that way it won't creep, but I honestly don't know if that's good or bad....never had to break in a new motor....yet! Rebuilt one will be here next week so I get to feel everyone else's pain.....