New engine for my savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidd25

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello I'm new to this website. maybe some one can give me a little help. i want to get a new engine for my savage. been thinking about the picco 26 or the wasp 28. I've read that the wasp isnt quit that easy to tune so I'm leaning towards the picco. Next quetion?..is the roto start compatiable with the picco ? i saw that offna had a back plate for tha 21 size engines. Does this also fit the .26.

Rossb, just dropped the Picco .26 in his Savage a little while back. He has posted some good things about it. Even w/ the an 18T clutch bell on, it will still pull wheelies w/ no problem (tons of power). You can check out some of his comments on the link below, plus he even has a vid to go along w/ it.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23210

I actually just got the Wasp .28, but haven't broken it in yet. Hopefully, I can get to it this weekend. So far, switching the engines out gave me no problems. Everything matched up perfectly. I took the rotostart backplate off of the stock engine and it went on perfectly to the Wasp. So you can even use the rotostart on the Wasp .28 without having to buy anything extra. Once I get it broken-in, I will post some reviews on it.

Another engine to look at is the SH .28. Its rated at 3.5 HP and it only costs 180$.

AC48 said:
Another engine to look at is the SH .28. Its rated at 3.5 HP and it only costs 180$.

Where does it say on their site that it's rated at 3.5hp? I seriously doubt that. That's kinda like sirio with their .12 outlaw that was listed at 2hp but then magically got bumped down to 1.4hp or some poop

alot of guys over on savage central say it may well have close to if not more than 3 real hp, as they say it makes there wasp/picco .26's look absolutly tame, and those engines were dynoed at 2.67 real hp. but those being just numbers real world everyone is saying that SH .28 makes other big blocks so far look weak, and i know my wasp .26 right now is about as much power as i want.

but yes i doubt it has the claimed 3.5hp, who cares as long as the engine really rips.

PiErow said:
What does SH stand for?
What does SH stand for? I am also looking for a new motor as well. I was thinking Fantom .27 But I would like to take alook at this SH. If I can figure out what it is.

i have the lrp z.28r engine .. thats the same as the SH.28 .. and i would say its deffo got lots more power that my picco p3 .. i was only running in my lrp and not even tuned it and it was flipping my savage .. ...
(sliding clutch)

Mark

kwong2001 said:
Where does it say on their site that it's rated at 3.5hp? I seriously doubt that. That's kinda like sirio with their .12 outlaw that was listed at 2hp but then magically got bumped down to 1.4hp or some poop
I doubt that it really gets that much too, but I saw in a hobbypeople catalouge that it was rated at 3.5 HP.

Digital Liquid said:
Rossb, just dropped the Picco .26 in his Savage a little while back. He has posted some good things about it. Even w/ the an 18T clutch bell on, it will still pull wheelies w/ no problem (tons of power). You can check out some of his comments on the link below, plus he even has a vid to go along w/ it.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23210

Some people have been saying that the power delivery of the Picco 26 is just on/off like a light switch. I just shot some 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle video to prove that is not the case. At the end of the video I did some wheelies from a roll and I took a temp reading off the motor to show how cool it runs.

I am running the OFNA Picco 26, Black blunt LSN, 9mm Carb venturi, 18/49 gearing, Motorsaver filter, stock SS ribbed pipe, and the stock suspension.

The Silver LSN is tapered and it would provide even more throttle range than my high performance black needle. I have both needles.

http://www.rbartick.com/hpi/savage_26_2.mpg

Please right-click and save-as to your local drive.

those temps may be a little too low for proper heat expansion of the piston and sleeve? i run my wasp .26 with the black LSN, hot bodies pipe, one extra shim OS A5 plug 30% nitro at around 220-230* 16/49

i will say your engine at 1/4 throttle is much diffrent than mine, i have to let off or ill flip over at 1/4 throttle with my wasp .26. the 2 less teeth on the bell makes a difference, but imo there is not a whole lot of throttle range with the mill. in any case, i really like how it runs in my savage which is just a basher.

alkyula said:
those temps may be a little too low for proper heat expansion of the piston and sleeve? i run my wasp .26 with the black LSN, hot bodies pipe, one extra shim OS A5 plug 30% nitro at around 220-230* 16/49

i will say your engine at 1/4 throttle is much diffrent than mine, i have to let off or ill flip over at 1/4 throttle with my wasp .26. the 2 less teeth on the bell makes a difference, but imo there is not a whole lot of throttle range with the mill. in any case, i really like how it runs in my savage which is just a basher.

Those temps were taken while using fairly light throttle. My temps get into the 210-220 range after going WOT for a while. If I stay WOT for a long time temps may hit the 230s. I have plenty of throttle range, especially after the truck is in motion. You probably will not be able to judge the range too well off the line with a 16T bell. You probably have more throttle range once the truck is moving.

I sell the Picco .26 and have them in stock - Here

Also, have you considered the Fantom .27? It is a very nice motor too!

Thanks
Bruce
Rush RC

Last edited:
thanks everyone!! i think i'll go with the wasp 28. hey digital, soon as you get your wasp all broken in let us know if its worth buying!!

kidd25 said:
thanks everyone!! i think i'll go with the wasp 28. hey digital, soon as you get your wasp all broken in let us know if its worth buying!!

Personally I wouldn't go with Wasp .28.I have a Wasp .28,SH .28 and a Top(Novarossi) .28.The Top and SH both are easy to tune and both run very well with lots of power.I can't seam to get the tune right on the Wasp .28 yet.Just check out my videos of the SH and the Top.

hi, I'm kind of late in this thread but i would seriously go with the SH 28. the 3.5 hps @ 28,000 rpm thats some torque. I've heard that the WASP 28 has a lot of problems when it comes to breakin-in the engine. i havent experienced the problems myself but heard a lot of people complaining about them. i recently purchased the SH 28 for 168 dollars SHIPPED what a deal.

well i havent ordered anything yet.. where can i buy a sh? I'm starting to hear more bad things about the wasp then good. thanks again for the advice

You can get the SH at www.hobbypeople.com

On another note, I am in the process of breaking in my new Wasp .28 and have had no problems except for the pullstarer. I have yet to see a pull starter that can really handle the compression of big blocks. Other than the Pullstart it has been a breeze to break in. I'm on tank 4 so far.

Back