Need some laptop info

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I just got a Compaq C500 laptop with Vista. I have some on board electronic stabilization components in my scale helis that need to be programmed on a computer instead of in the Transmitter in order to fly 4 blade rotors without a flybar. Everything in the Tx is set to zero and any settings in the computer are put into the on board system's memory.

Now that you know why, here's the what or the how.

This system is not recognized by Vista, and there are no updates that I've been able to find. All the problem info on forums specify that it will work only on XP.
One of my computers has XP, but I don't want to set it up in that one since there's no way I can carry around a desktop unit for field set ups.
I need to know if I can install XP in the laptop without removing Vista...in other words, on boot up, can I have the option to use either one?

I just got a Compaq C500 laptop with Vista. I have some on board electronic stabilization components in my scale helis that need to be programmed on a computer instead of in the Transmitter in order to fly 4 blade rotors without a flybar. Everything in the Tx is set to zero and any settings in the computer are put into the on board system's memory.

Now that you know why, here's the what or the how.

This system is not recognized by Vista, and there are no updates that I've been able to find. All the problem info on forums specify that it will work only on XP.
One of my computers has XP, but I don't want to set it up in that one since there's no way I can carry around a desktop unit for field set ups.
I need to know if I can install XP in the laptop without removing Vista...in other words, on boot up, can I have the option to use either one?

you should be able to ....i know a buddy who had both on his desktop pc ...when you boot your computer ...you will be asked which OS you want to run

I am pretty sure there is a way but I think it would require you to patrician your hard drive and have different operating systems on each drive, so I think in order to that I think you would have to format the hard drive and in that case you might as well get rid of the crappy Vista OS and just find a copy of XP and install it, the only other thing I can think of that might work would be to use a external hard drive with XP on it, but I am no computer guru so I could be completely wrong, this is just my best guess, good luck!!

I'm pretty sure it can be done without partitioning the disk or formating it ...but ..good point on getting rid of vista ...vista sucks big time

I'm pretty sure it can be done without partitioning the disk or formating it ...but ..good point on getting rid of vista ...vista sucks big time

The only problem you might have is finding a copy of XP I went with a friend of mine to get a copy and was told by the place that they are no longer making it any more, I would check Ebay, just make sure it is a brand new copy that has never been installed, or you will have problems updating and installing it..

Some interesting points. I never thought of installing it on an external hard drive. I'll try that first.
Now that I think of it, I don't need Vista on the laptop anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to lose it completely. I already have the programs to wipe it blank and install a corporate version of XP Pro, including SP3, so I can also try that route.
It just struck me as odd that I would go backwards in the OS rather than an upgrade. I found XP to be really solid in my desktop units.

XP blows Vista away, well because Vista just freaking BLOWS, LOL!!!!

thats what i run ..XP pro corporate..never had any problems with it ...best bet would be to dump Vista and go with that ;)

lol..every once in a while , windows comes out with a versions that really sucks ...Vista was one of them ..lol...and the way they were talking about it , it was supposed to be the best windows ever ...lol...yeah right ..lol...everybody i know who had Vista went back to XP

Vista is like Windows ME, it should be completely skipped...

If your hardware will handle it I'd suggest going UP to Win 7. You can run older programs in a different "emulation" mode all the way back to Win 95. Install the software and then right click the icon and use the compatibility mode for whatever OS the product works best with. This is how I use my scanner in Win 7 and play some older games too.

HTH...
Mark

Virtual Machine is a free program from Microsoft. I just can't remember if it will allow communication with a USB port on the real machine.

Some versions of Vista also have the compatibility mode. I think it's Professional and Ultimate editions have it.

I use Win 7 compatibility mode for Windows XP regularly to program the dNanos at the local track.

You could either do a dual boot or create a virtual machine on your laptop that runs on top of Vista. Either should work just fine.

have you tried running the program in Xp compatability mode? I have to do this on some stuff at work in vista and 7 because it wasn't written for them. I would try that first.

then i would try the Virtual Pc setup, it works pretty nice, but you still need XP media and a legal code.

as far as putting XP on it, you would first need to make sure all the drivers you need are available for XP. some of the newer hardware doesn't have XP support from the vendors.

have you tried running the program in Xp compatability mode? I have to do this on some stuff at work in vista and 7 because it wasn't written for them. I would try that first.

That was the first obvious solution, but it won't fly. It's strictly a driver installation problem, and it won't install in Vista or 7. The program installs, but it can't locate the interface and hardware due to the missing driver. It will ONLY install in XP.
Win XP OEM ends in October. At this point, I'm tempted to empty it onto a backup drive and install XP on a wiped out drive. I don't need it for much else, but I do need it for field setups.
Once the program is installed under XP, I might be able to upgrade the OS to 7 and THEN use the compatibility mode.

It might be better then to install Win XP in a virtual machine and then install the program there.....

i second the xp VPC setup. you will have hell finding drivers for all the laptops stuff for XP.

plus its free! as long as you have a legal XP disk and code.

I would also suggest running windows on a virtual PC. I run it here at work becasue like Beason, I have programs at work that need to run that were not compatiable with Win 7.

I would also suggest running windows on a virtual PC. I run it here at work becasue like Beason, I have programs at work that need to run that were not compatiable with Win 7.

Virtualbox is a nice solution. I run VMware Player which is also free, but mainly because that's what I work with all day at work - well VMWare ESX. In fact I use a virtual machine to run WinXP for iTunes.

The vmware player is free, but dont you have to pay for the full one in order to make an image?

the microsoft virtual PC is completely free, editor and viewer.

The new VMWare Player you can in fact make an image. Though you don't get all the cool features of what VMware workstation can do, but FREE beats paying $190 for it.

Back