Need advice on buyiny mf first nitro RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daudrey5

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I am looking into buying me and my son gas powered RC 2 wd trucks and hope someone will be kind enough to advise me on where to buy and reccomend a good quality unit. I am looking to spend 150-200$ on each to start with. I am sure he and i will be spending lots of time enjoying these trucks.

Thanks,

P.S. I heard the acme brand is not a wise decission????????

In my opinion, only go with the bigger brands. Traxxas, HPI, Ofna and so on. I'm not a nitro guy so you will have to wait for someone else to answer...BUT if you were to go electric, you could get a couple Traxxas Slash's 2wd for that price range and they are insanely durable.

How old is your son..??
Remember that nitro requires a certin amount of skill..
Nothing that can't be picked up with patience tho..
If you decide nitro dont give up to quickly..
I know a few ppl who have lost there patience and gave up the hobby quickly..
I personally think nitro is way more fun but electric is a little more plug and play...

for under 200$ ..the only place you might find one would be '' nitrorcx '' or a place like that ... but i dont recomend it ...my buddy has one from there ...he paid 160$ i think ....and its worth 160$....screw heads pop off ..and doesn't take much to break stuf on it

you get what you pay for in this hobby ...stay with the big names like S&Green said ...parts are ALOT easier to get for them .

i was going to get one from ''nitrorcx '' at first ...but decided to get a revo3.3 instead ... its not cheap but i dont regret it ..its a solid truck and parts are everywhere at low cost

my opinion ,.. might be hard to get a decent nitro truck under 300$.....keep in mind ..if its always broken , you wont have fun with your kid ;)

thats my 2 cents :D

i totally agree, stay away from the cheap brands. They are that cheap for a reason. The 40 or 50 bucks you save initally will haunt you. Go to www.towerhobbies.com
Sign up for their supersaver club and you will get big discount codes and free shipping on orders over 100 bucks. Worth every penny. You should find a good rig on their site, ask us for more info. when you pick a car or truck.

one thing to think about is do you want off road, or pavement. i started with off road, but quickly switched to pavement only why? cause it takes about 30 min to clean a off road truck after you have been bashing in the dirt. the only thing about running pavement is finding a place that will let you run. i got lucky, i found a large abandoned parking lot that has NO signs up. also i have found that a school parking lot on sat- sun morning seem to work. just remember you can't run if they have signs up, or get permission. also some hobby shops have tracks, so check that out.

If you are into 2WD and are set on nitro I would look into the DuraTrax Evader. Some guys would laugh at that but I have yet to hear one bad word spoken about the trucks.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXSGU7**&P=8

v6u0yg.jpg

Not bad for $119...

Want to go a step up? How about HPI's FireStorm!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPVD8&P=ML

oqymo6.jpg

Again, never heard a negative thing about them and a good buy at $269...

an other thing to think about is the hobby shop you are going to use, and beleave me if you run a rc youll need a good hobby shop. how do you judge a hobby shop? look at how many parts of what brand they have in stock. the hobby shop i chose has a LOT of traxxas parts. also find out how good of mech they have. cause there may be somethings you will want them to do. also a good hobby shop is a good place to meet other rc ers. nitro is fun, but electric isnt as messy

an other thing to think about is the hobby shop you are going to use, and beleave me if you run a rc youll need a good hobby shop. how do you judge a hobby shop? look at how many parts of what brand they have in stock. the hobby shop i chose has a LOT of traxxas parts. also find out how good of mech they have. cause there may be somethings you will want them to do. also a good hobby shop is a good place to meet other rc ers. nitro is fun, but electric isnt as messy

Thanks, tahts something to think about. I am leary of electric. The cheap ones i have bought hin in the past didn't hold up to well. ( the wal mart brand ) I need to find more info on higher dollar ones at hobbie shops as to the durability and battery life, etc.

The hobby grade electrics by the major manufacturers are every bit as good as their nitro cousins and are just as durable. I would recommend electric rigs for younger drivers as well as people just getting into the hobby. You don't have nearly as much fiddling to do to go play. You just charge and go.

The hobby grade electrics by the major manufacturers are every bit as good as their nitro cousins and are just as durable. I would recommend electric rigs for younger drivers as well as people just getting into the hobby. You don't have nearly as much fiddling to do to go play. You just charge and go.

I can agree 100%. If you want to just go play and you are not really into the mechanical end then go electric. I beat the crap out of an electric street car 10 years or so ago and it never quit and tech has come a long way since then. I went the nitro route because I always wanted one back then and I am glad I got one.

These days, electrics are just as tough and can be made to go a lot faster that nitro. Battery life is hard to estimate. To give you a general idea, I get 30 minutes of hard bashing with my E Maxx with 4200mah packs. Takes about that long to charge them back up as well.

get a slayer or slayer pro

I am looking into buying me and my son gas powered RC 2 wd trucks and hope someone will be kind enough to advise me on where to buy and reccomend a good quality unit. I am looking to spend 150-200$ on each to start with. I am sure he and i will be spending lots of time enjoying these trucks.

Thanks,

P.S. I heard the acme brand is not a wise decission????????

don't go that rout not worth it.. buy a good one from the start make it easier on the money when you need parts,, also you'll end up selling it any ways, then you'll feel like poop.. traxxas slayer is about 400 + tx. but if you want try www.nitrorcx.com good quallity and good prices, $160 for a on road nitro car, 130 for a buggy, cheap prices, yes i bought from then alot i started with the exceed brands...not too bad but i ended up selling them for less and feeling like poop... now I'm a traxxas, hpi, losi, team associated buyer...

my first nitro car was the xtm x terminator 2.great car it is one of those cars that i fell i can't replace.it can take beating after beating its 4 wheel drive
this is the one i have
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car/item/C-XTM-XT2-XTM-XT2__7e03/

http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/...1895-/XTM-XT2-X-Terminator-2-Buggy-18-4WD-RTR

http://www.razorhobbies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=56_193&products_id=421
This is the track version.I've never driven it
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:31&biw=1276&bih=839
the only problem is that it might not be easy to find one that it $200

Last edited: