My Hyper 8 Port has arrived......

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvickj

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
Well it arrived at the LHS yesterday. You guys sure were not kidding. The compression this engine has is insane. Even with no glow plug it is difficult to turn the engine over.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me as far as installing the engine and breaking it in. I did a quick test fit and it looks like I won't run into too many problems. The first thing I noticed is that I will have to rotate the carb.

I have most of the stock parts from the stock Savage engine except for the bearings for the clutchbell. I also don't have the washer that goes on the outside of the clutchbell

I was talking to error401 and he suggested going to a 16t clutchbell. Any recommendations on which one I should go with?

Here are a few pictures......

In the box....
61hyper_box-med.jpg

The engine....
61hyper_engine-med.jpg

mcvickj - lemmi know whatcha think of the mill, as it is on my list for the EB-4 i am picking up on Friday.

M-I've heard that if you can find some extra head shims installing them would GREATLY improve your break-in experience. You could also put a drop of ARO in before you try and start her up.

I don't think the stock Savage clutchbell fits on the 8port.I didn't try it on mine it doesn't look the same as my Ofna 16T bell i'm using.I didn't have a problem breaking in mine.Just put a few drops of after run in and wear a pair of gloves.If the engine seems flooded STOP pulling the pullstart!!! They are VERY weak and break easy.Ofna will replace it once for free but after that it comes out of your pocket.

ock clutch bell on my Hyper 21 8-Port without any problems. If you want more top speed, then go with a larger clutch bell (16T works just fine), but you will lose just a bit off the low end in the torque department.

Gloves are a must for the first couple of tanks. Either that or hands of steel as this thing will blister your hands easily from all of the pulling.

Someone already addressed the pull start issue. I have broken and repaired mine several times (both at home and in the field). The spring is weak near the center point. If you still have the receipt from the engine purchase, Fax a copy of it to Steve at Ofna (Fax Number: 949-586-8812) with a little note explaining that your pull start broke and you would like your one free replacement. They will ship it soonest. Either that, go buy a spare now, or get proficient at repairing pull starts (as I have become).

Next, don't rush the break in. The settings are extremely rich to start, but as you start tuning it, you will see great leaps in power and performance as you lean it out.

Finally, Have a freaking blast. The engine rocks, and I know you will like it.

Thanks for the info. Will Ofna expect the broken one back? Or can I just make a call for a replacement and keep that around as a spare? Also what air filter are you using? I have a Motor Saver air filter in my box but its too small....

They won't expect the broken one back.

I use the HPI version of a .21 MotorSaver. They call it a Super Flow air filter. Works like a charm.

no gloves and no blisters from my 8-port. i highly recommend the "loosen the glow plug trick": turn the glow plug counter clockwise a 1/4 turn. after it fires, crank it down.

skymaxx, respooling a pull start is fun huh? my problem was making the knot small enough that it wouldn't rub on the back blate and big enough that it wouldn't slip through the hole. in the end, i just broke down and bought a new pull start.

-Rob

I've only had to respool the line once. Most of the fun comes from repairing the damn spring. I've had to recoil and shape it several times. In the end, I get a beat to hell pull start that still does the job.

And I save $25.

The spring is fun to fix.I've had to rebuild mine twice and I've broken 2 of them since I got my 8port.

Ya I just dont like how you have to switch between Hyper Pullstarts and the ones for the OFNA and Force and Stock Savage engine. Why dont they make it all universal?

Steve

thr spring is a pain in the ass. i had several cut on my fingers from that damn thing. the real booger was threading the pullstart string into the pullstart case and into the spool wheel while the spring was wound tight! i got mine together several times. the string just kept pulling through the hole or if i made the knot bigger, the knot would get stuck on the backplate and it wouldn't recoil. in the end, i was glad to pay $25 and get the mess off my hands.

trying to keep on the 8-port topic. they guy that makes a rotostart adapter for the 8-port is gonna make a friggen mint.

Originally posted by RobH
they guy that makes a rotostart adapter for the 8-port is gonna make a friggen mint.

I'm ON IT...couple gears...plastic case...how hard could it be?

I read a post somewhere on another forum and it had a link on how to modifie the rotostart to work on the 8port.It looked pretty simlpe.You just drill a few mounting hole and use some metal to make the one way fit.It's not the cleanest install but the guy claimed it worked.I'll find the link and put it up.

Found it http://www.zonecentral.org/ofnamod/

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Rex. I found that a few weeks back before I ordered my Hyper 8. I have been kicking around the idea of doing that mod. Probably the hardest part of that mod is using the dremel to cut the excess metal so the rotostart fits snugly to the backplate. I am going over to my uncles this weekend and he does a lot of metal work. I am going to see what he has laying around his shop. :)

Does anyone know if you can just buy the adapter? I would imagine that the adapter will come with the rotostart. But incase I was to screw up the first one....

mcvickj - why go through all that trouble - just use your starter box

Umm..NA...buddy...you just killed a kitten my friend. I am putting that Hyper 8 in my Savage.....:p If I could use a starter box I would. :)

Originally posted by mcvickj
Umm..NA...buddy...you just killed a kitten my friend.

DAMN! lol.

I forgot that the savage. got buggies on the brain.

Thats the only flaw other than the fuel tank on the Savage.It doesn't take a starter box!!! I've read that people use bump starts for plains and stuff on them though.

Heres the link to that thing http://www.remotecontrolhobby.com/id2.html

Last edited:
Back