Monster Truck, Buggy, Onroad WHICH ONE?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smurfola212

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I can't decide, I have the money but I can't choose. I really need some advice. I was thinking of the LD3 for a onroad, A savage/tmaxx for monster and for my buggy I dont know what to get. HELP ME! I can run each of them near where I live..But I dont know. So help me out, you guys help me lots! :eek:

Smurf

Monster trucks jump, on roads go fast, and buggies haul ass off road but dont(IME) take over 10ft of air very well...

:bling:

I dunno..If you had to choose which would u choose?

I saw the savage PWN a maxx on the weekend. Theyre really nice... I'm shifting to the savage. But still...I dunno what to choose, either a buggy, a monster or a onroad,:madface:

I'm happy with stadium trucks...

I started with a nitro 4-tec, and damn... keeping that thing on the road was hard, so I switched to a truck REAL fast...

Of course, I got competent at driving the ST's and the on roaders... so I'm kinda middle of the road.

I like the trucks for general bashing around and catching hella air, and the touring cars for their speed factor.

Originally posted by kwong2001
I'd go with a maxx...i don't like hpi

If your only experience with HPI MTs is the one you have up for sale, then you shouldn't like HPI...BUT the Savage rocks, and I think you'd be surprised by how well it can stomp on things like the T-Maxx.

I have one of each (granted the T isn't the 2.5...but I'd put mine up against a 2.5 any day and probably win) and like each, but I think I'm starting to like the Savage more.

You might want to take a look at the Savage...HPI has come a long way.

The thing that gets me about HPI is how much they look like toys. I've seen all their other cars and was unimpressed.

Oh yeah...i've found that their drivetrain pretty much is the same with all HPI cars...and my mt, it's a bitch to install a new spur gear...also, the throttle and brake is a pain to adjust, I still never got it right on the MT

And HPI seems to be like buying a Toyota Echo, everything is an option...that's why it takes as much money as you bought it for to be competitive...

Okay so its between the savage and a onroad..Now help me with my last decision!:banana:
You guys roxors

Originally posted by kwong2001
The thing that gets me about HPI is how much they look like toys. I've seen all their other cars and was unimpressed.

Oh yeah...i've found that their drivetrain pretty much is the same with all HPI cars...and my mt, it's a bitch to install a new spur gear...also, the throttle and brake is a pain to adjust, I still never got it right on the MT

And HPI seems to be like buying a Toyota Echo, everything is an option...that's why it takes as much money as you bought it for to be competitive...

I bought the extras for the Savage based on my known driving habits. I have more than three times that much in my T-Maxx. If I were to put the two trucks side by side out of the box, I would say the stock Savage would be more likely to survive a bash session with me than the stock T-Maxx. Heck, the Master of Disaster himself has only managed to break a dogbone and that was the stock dogbones. He replaced them and has yet to do serious harm to his Savage since. He can't say the same for the two T-Maxxes he has been through.

Originally posted by Smurfola212
Okay so its between the savage and a onroad..Now help me with my last decision!:banana:
You guys roxors

This is where you need to decide what is more fun.

If driving a little rocket ship on wheels in long straight shots or around circles, ovals, or other flat courses makes your day, then go with the on road.

If driving over rugged terrain, catching major air, and basically beating the snot out of a miniature monster truck is your idea of fun, then MT is the way to go.

You have to decide on which is your path to fun.

I have some On-Road Suggestions, if you lean toward on-road. Hpi Nitro RS4 3 SS and the NTC3. Two of the most popular kits right now. The RS4 3 is also avaliable in RTR form, with a less potent engine.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

The HPI MT RTR has adjustable suspension so you can lower it and add onroad tires. Off-road is much more fun, most off-roaders can run with onroaders with smaller tires and correct gearing.

hey smurf, nice meeting you last weekend, but just like skymaxx stated, you gotta decide which is your path to fun

I like them both equally. Personally I love stadium trucks the most. And with a set of onroad tires, the stadium truck can haul some serious booty on the pavement. And I can stay with the local t-maxx's in almost any situation. :) They sometimes don't like me when I go hill climbing though... I think that they may not know how to climb... I haven't seen such a flipping contest since... Last weeks race LOL :)

Originally posted by SkyMaxx

I have one of each (granted the T isn't the 2.5...but I'd put mine up against a 2.5 any day and probably win) and like each, but I think I'm starting to like the Savage more.

Ok I like HPI and I think the Savage rocks, but I wish I could race you because I would make your Savage cry! Track or street it doesn't matter I would smoke the snot out of it period. I have raced 3 Savages so far 2 stockies and one with the Ofna Hyper 8 port and the only one that was a contest was the Ofna Hyper in the start but I owned him like pair of underwear in the middle and top end.

LOL...mine would leave a skid mark in the underwear for you. That way you could always have something to remember the ass whooping by.

Sounds like you have a nice ride. When I regear my Savage to take advantage of the excess RPMs that are currently not being used, I may have to come out to Cali and find you. Until then, you always have that pair of underwear.

:D

What about my wittle' ol RC10GT. Even with the lame trx mill I have in it, I can take a 2.5 tmaxx and outhandle it on and off the track :) Not to mention, I can keep right up with him, and when it comes to the turning, that's when I leave 'em in the dust. eheheh :)

I would opt for the Offroad. I have 2 onroads and the Savage and it's just much more fun to run the Savage. Sure the onroads is fun, but you're limited on where you can run. You have to find a nice big, smooth lot to run and hopefully it's not too crowded. I run my Savage in my back yard. It's a lot of fun and it's pretty fast going over bumps and jumps. My brother has a T-Maxx and it's a nice truck, but the only thing I like about it is his reverse. T-Maxx is good at top speed and maybe it's cause of their gearing, but on a local track here, Savage's seem to come out on top. In any case, good luck with your decision making.

I have a couple dune buggies and wore the heck out of them after 17 years, onroad RC cars BORE me and now I'm stuck with the love of MONSTER TRUCKS! MTs can do just about anything- zip along concrete, eat up big air without losing its balance, climb steep hills, what can't you do with an MT?

It really depends on what you're aiming at and what kind of area you live in, but I'm telling you what fun you're missing if you haven't played with monster trucks.

Back