MIxing My own Fuel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach.21

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok I have a really good source of Pure Methanol and Pure Nitromethane and some fuel oil... What are your guys opinion on mixing your own fuel.....?????

IMO i would say dont do it unless you have a professional or some way of doing it with out making a mistake cause ull ruin ur engine

I like the fact I can go to my LHS and buy a gallon of 20% and walk out. No muss no fuss.

first off it would be cool to do, but if you had an old engine that you could test it on then i say go for it!

I would say if you want to try it. Really all it is are some simple mathematical calculations. If interested check out http://www.nitrorc.com/ if you scroll down they have a info section on fuel blending. They also have a online calculation tool to simplify it. Good Luck & if you do post the blend & percentage of your fuel, & how it worked for ya. Later! :)

Thanks for all the Replys I think I'm gonna put my old Mach.15 engine on my xxx-nt and see if it will blowup lol...BTW I'm gonna used Sonoco Nitromethane at 20 % and Torco Methanol at 64% and Oil at 16 %

We have a member of the local flying club who mixes airplane fuel. He sells it for $15 a gallon (bring him your old jug) as compared to $26 a gallon at the LHS.
He does it in a 55 gallon drum.
Personally, I wouldn't want that sitting in MY garage.

Rolex said:
He does it in a 55 gallon drum.
Personally, I wouldn't want that sitting in MY garage.

LOL If anything ever happened he would not have to worry about the drum or the garage. Cause nither would be there any more. BOOOOMM

If I could mix my own fuel cheap and do it right and consistent I would do it.

Sounds good. Once you get your special blend right, you should bottle some up & sell it at your LHS. You could at least make enough money to buy hop-ups for your cars/trucks.

Later....:mex:

I stoped doing it, the savings where low and to get the same proportions each time was difficult, so I had to tune the engine each time I finished the bottle. I also didn't liked to store such dangerous products at home.

:hehe: Tell me What is so dangerous storing a 55 gallon SEALED Drum of Methanol and ne ways Pure nitro methane will not burn unless combusted.......Then again if i have a fire in my garage and the barrel heated up and built pressure.....I dont think my next door neighbors would have a house either...... :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

dont get in trouble with the police, they walk into your house and see a huge barrel of methanol and nitromehtane they would freak out lol. but that would be cool to watch explode...at a safe watching distance of course!

No No NO Dont worry....Thats how I'm getting this fuel is with a Haz-mat Liscense...

Mach.21 said:
:hehe: Tell me What is so dangerous storing a 55 gallon SEALED Drum of Methanol and ne ways Pure nitro methane will not burn unless combusted.......Then again if i have a fire in my garage and the barrel heated up and built pressure.....I dont think my next door neighbors would have a house either...... :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

I wouldn't risk it in my garage. We do some welding in there, oxyacetalene, mig & tig welding as well as arc welding. With my luck, I'd be blown sky high.

Yea but i am smart enough to weld in a different area

Storing large amounts of fuel has other problems at times. Since the club fuel was in a large drum with a valve on it, every time fuel was dispensed into a gallon jug, air has to get in. If I'm correct, it's 2.5 cubic ft. per gallon.
In high humidity that creates a problem in the fuel with moisture content. The lower the barrel got, the more problems there were tuning engines. I never used it, but other guys noticed it.
If you had a barrel that had a collapsible bladder inside, it wouldn't be an issue.

I like the consistancy of store bought fuel. I would try the fuel mixing, but not in a 55 gal. drum scale. It would take for ever to use that much fuel, and if you bottled it to sell at the LHS there would be huge liability issues if someone didn't take the proper care, or was not watching there kids and someone got burnt. Also, even if you had the proper disclaimer on the bottle it cost a fortune for aa atterny to defend you, and if you didn't have the proper manufacturing license (and all the safty OSHA inspections and permits to go with it) to make fuel it would be a waste ao time trying to defend yourself.

By the way, do you think you could put a video cam a couple of telephone poles down the road pointed at your garage? I would like to see a vid of 55 gal. going BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!! J/K,but personally, I wouldn't sell it.

Well i have been on a business trip for the last week and i have not had netime in order to try it yet but ill let you know when i do

i wasnt5 planning on selling it... LOL but ne ways nitro dosent burn well without combustion....

Back