mgt 8.0 front wheel drive only???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantlive4ever

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
so i have been running my mgt around a little now and when it is tuned right and warmed up I love how much power this thing has and I have a hard time keeping the front wheels down but...

I noticed that the front wheels are getting 95% of the power now the back wheels just spin and the back have no power so no wheelies for me anymore...

anyone know what I may have broken or can this be fixed by adjusting something?

Check for any loose screws on the rear drive shaft, you may have had a grub screw or screw shaft come loose or fallen out.

thanks man ill check it out

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

I dont see anything maybe I am not looking in the right place... (NEW) can you point me in the right direction and what other things could cause this?

I have noticed maybe oil but some fluid leaking underneath on the bottom of my rig in the center and toward the rear

I've owned a MGT 4.6 for about 1 year now. First off its my most beloved (and beaten) truck I own. Secondly I'm on my 5th rear differential and awaiting my 6th to show up. It is by far the weakest aspect of my truck. Not to say this is your problem but front wheel drive only is a good indication to start looking at your rear diff. Especially if you are still getting partial power to the rearend. A missing grub or set screw will not deliver only partial power. Its either all or nothing.

hey would this be the right symptoms for the rear diff...
I will try to explain better I read my post and it didn't make a lot of sense

front wheels have the majority of the power... if I watch my truck drive around if I give it very much throttle it will just spin the fronts like crazy... The rears seem to have some power late in the throttle process like once in the mid range or so but none at first.

If I hold up my truck and gas it the all the tires will spin.
If i just lift up the front and leave the back down the front tires will only spin and the rear seems to have no power and dose not try to move

Pretty well spot on to the issues I experience before I change mine out for a new diff. If you ebay it you can find rebuild kits for it for like 9$ or $10. Its quite a bit better than spending $25-$30 for an entire diff assembly when you only need the internal gearing. Good luck!!

what causes these to break I have barely used the thing just been doing wheelies up and down my street and jumping off curbs haha I just dont want to always be breaking it.

---------- Post added at 1:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:12 PM ----------

hey so I just ran it outside right now the back wheels are getting consistent power but like I said maybe 5% so if there is any resistance on them they will not spin
I found a rear diff and am gonna order it I hope this isn't a continuous problem

More likely than not you will have this reoccur. Like I said earlier I'm waiting for my 6th one right now and I'm about 10 months into the truck. Outside of the diff issue it is the best truck I've owned/driven but it is a reoccuring issue for me anyway. Possibly look at loosening your slipper so you do not put quite as much strain on it when you take off. Otherwise you may be in for some wrenching every once in a while.

well when i started taking it apart I realized I stripped out the inside of my wheel (its completely round and I have to order a new rim... Could this be my problem or just part of it

ya relieved I ordered some rims and am ready to get back out having a blast picked up a little slayer to mess around with while I wait for the wheels haha I have the nitro bug but I have no idea what I am doing

Most of us didnt either when we started out. I tried and failed miserably back several years ago but got back into it last year and have learned so much from sites like this 1. Theres numerous people on here that really know what they are doing. I never had that support back then like we all have today!!

Back