Joining the ranks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_savage

Hardcore RCTalk User
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've finally joined the baja 5B family and even though i won't be seeing it for a week or two, i figure now is a good time to start looking at the basic hopups for the rtr version. So let me know what you recomend and why.

These are the must haves.

TGN Redneck pre-filter with an Outerwears elastic cover over it
Outerwears pull-start cover
Darksoul axle extenders to keep from flipping
Metal gear set for the steering servo

While the RTR exhaust can will get the job done, it does not let the 23cc live up to it's true potential. I would replace it with the HPI tuned pipe. It is the inexpensive way to go.

For further information, you should check out www.hpibajatutorials.com and www.hpibajaforum.com.

its got the metal gear set in the steerng servo. Whats the best pipe for the 23cc? I don't want to spend twice the money for a pipe that only gives me slightly better performance than the HPI tuned one will. But if there is is significant difference between the tuned and the "crème de la crème" pipe then i am willing to get it.

going research those parts now. thanks

The HPI tuned pipe will get the job done at around $90.

All of the other high end pipes will set you back $160 and up.

I personally use the DDM Side Dominator. It offer great low and top end and will not split your eardrums.

Davesmotors.com sells the Dominator line and if you really want to go wild, they also carry the TGN pipe. Be sure to use the code "LSF" to get 5% off any purchase there. They also offer free shipping on orders over $100.

few more questions. Is the 23cc motor going to be enough? I don't want to start hopping it up and then have someone say, well now the next step is to get a real 30.5cc motor. I don't need it to go 70 mph or break driveshafts. So basically is the 23cc a solid platform?

does the pipe get beat up any from being exposed?

Last edited:
I would just pick up a good tuned pipe and use the 23cc. You can always add a 26cc or a 29cc head kit later for much less than buying a new motor. The 23cc is solid and will get the job done. I have been running the 29cc with great results.

If you are referring to the Side Dom being exposed, no it does not get beat up. It is steel and the brackets are steel so it is quite durable even if it does take hit.

The Rear Dom does have a tendency to get bent due to the location.

Other items that aren’t must haves but improve reliability would be the following…

Turtle Racing Heavy Duty front and rear shock mount braces.
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2208.html

Turtle Racing Diff Saver if you don’t have the SS alloy diff cases.
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1705.html

Turtle Racing Reinforced Heavy Duty axle set.
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1641.html
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2260.html

Modified RC Clutch Cover or better yet, the Clutch Cover/Carrier combo
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1821.html
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2689.html

Phatdad Shock Shafts (The stock RTR shafts and ends are crap)
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2037.html

dang. i'm gonna be spending more in parts than i did for the whole baja. haha

It will get expensive.

All the parts I listed above address the weaknesses in the stock RTR platform.

One important piece of advice concerning driving style. When you go off a jump no matter how small, let off the gas before you land. Keeping on the throttle during landing will result in bent drive shafts and destroyed diffs. Most guys who come from nitro or electric RC know this. There are a bunch of guys who don't since the 5B is their first hobby grade RC who just don't get it and wonder why they keep breaking stuff.

Kurt, if you don't go wild with hopups, this is going to be the most affordable RC to run that you've ever had. I've been bashing mine at least 3 times a month since March, and I'm talking about bashing it hard. Smaxxin and I were jumping over to foot dirt piles and coming down on the ground instead of the downside of the jump. I do have the SS upgrades on mine, but so far I've only broken a $4 shock part, and used about $10 worth of gas and oil. Really only about $5 worth of gas, the rest was in high quality 2 stroke oil. I would get the shock mount braces and shock shafts first, as those are a big weak link in the RTR. Get the HPI pipe and save some money. If you want to upgarde the engine later, you can always add a big displacement head kit for about $80. I think you will realize after the first bash session that it's way cheaper to run large scale gas than it is to run nitro or brushless.

You need to get the outerwears filter before you ever run it.

Something that you will realize is unless your jumping it off of two story buildings or driving it like Chip Cross runs his RC's, the mods that you install will be just because you want them, whereas with a nitro you HAVE to spend money on parts that you NEED just to have something durable. This thing is more durable than a Savage with $500 worth of upgrades ever thought about being, right out of the box.

PS- Welcome to the last time you will ever want to run anything small scale. You just plug in the receiver pack, pull twice, and run the piss out of it. No tuning or temp guns, none of that stuff. No break in, no after run oil. You can run it for an hour on a tank of $2 premix, and then when you're done you just put it on the shelf and it's ready for the next time.

Also, I would advise you to go by a motorcycle shop and get your 2 stroke oil as well as a can of foam filter oil. It's WAY cheaper to buy a big ass can than it is to buy a few tiny bottle at the hobby shop.

Last edited:
i can't wait. i am coming to La to pick it up tommroow. (hopefully)
I am thinking the shock rods and ends along with the jet pro pipe will my my first and last mods. (except for the air filter of course)

If you're not going to upgrade your shock shafts, I would order a couple of spares now. If you don't have them, it's going to lead to some serious frustration in a week or two lol.

you say shaft, i say rod. its all the same.

I am going to be replacing them in the coming weeks. I don't plan on jumping it until then.

i can't wait. i am coming to La to pick it up tommroow. (hopefully)
I am thinking the shock rods and ends along with the jet pro pipe will my my first and last mods. (except for the air filter of course)

They won't be your last mods unless you never drive it.

Your drive cups and dog bones will go first if you don’t have the HPI heavy duty shafts. Even those will twist. I just removed a set yesterday that had a gallon on them and they have about a 10 degree twist.

Your plastic diff housings are a definite weak spot as well. If they fail and you don’t want to invest in the Turtle savers, just pick up a set of the SS aluminum housings.

Ah, you're right. I misread what you said. I thought it said shock rod ends instead of rods and ends.

Rob can be a VERY valuable resource, and the hpibajatutorials website is excellent. Rob helped me out exponentially when I got started in large scale.

They won't be your last mods unless you never drive it.

Your drive cups and dog bones will go first if you don’t have the HPI heavy duty shafts. Even those will twist. I just removed a set yesterday that had a gallon on them and they have about a 10 degree twist.

Your plastic diff housings are a definite weak spot as well. If they fail and you don’t want to invest in the Turtle savers, just pick up a set of the SS aluminum housings.

:(

I just didn't expect to drop another 500 to make the baja sturdy.

flm_savage,

Keep an eye on LargeScaleForums.com - we're about to have a lotto there as well. Which will either have one winner winning a crap load of parts or 2-3 winners winning a number of parts.

So far we have Turtle Racing front mount/shock tower, Turtle Racing Rear shock mount, Turtle Racing front chassis plate, Turtle Racing rear tranny plate, Dark Soul steel bumper... might have a 30.5cc modified engine as well as some outerwear pre-filters.

Keep checking out LargeScaleForums - should be up and running in the next day or two.

-Michael

:(

I just didn't expect to drop another 500 to make the baja sturdy.

You don't have to.

My first post in this thread is all you really need if you don't start jumping it.

If you start jumping, you are going to start needing the other stuff I posted.

You will be amazed at how durable the baja is. Out of my 30 RC's, there wasn't anything that I had that was 1/4 the durability of the Baja. However, a lot of guys take their baja's out and start jumping 30 foot levees and such, and it will need some parts to strengthen things up if you're going to abuse it like that.

Rob is right, those first things in his post are really all that you NEED. Anything else is a want, and it depends on how hard you're going to abuse it. I have about $300 worth of aluminum parts sitting on the shelf for my baja, and I haven't needed to put them on yet. Mine is also an SS, and it has a lot of the upgrades that we've discussed from the factory.

Don't be discouraged by the price of parts, my baja is the cheapest RC that I've owned so far, because they're so much nicer right out of the box. It's only when you start beating on them really hard that you'll need the other parts.

i don't have anything higher than 5 feet to jump it off of so hopefully i'm ok. for the most part it will be just racing around on flat ground and cathing 4-5 feet of air.

I'm picking it up tonight!! maybe i should call chip and let him know i am coming. haha

i picked it up tonight!!!! I forgot just how big these things are. I can't wait to crank it up in the morning. I am going to run it and then break it down and clean it. i even texted charlie to let him know i had gotten it but i guess he goes to bed at 9. :)

chip is a great guy and his rc collection rocks. his berg is totally bergalicious. I wanted to hold it and rub the uber smooth axles on my face. I figured that might freak him out so i didn't. It really is an absolutely beautiful truck.

I am going to gut the stock exhaust tommorow and fix the turnbuckle until i can get a new one.

THIS THING IS AWESOME!! Thanks chip.

Back