HPI or Traxxas???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazymatt

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay, this is my first post and I am brand new to RC. I've always wanted a nitro monster truck and I finally have saved some b-day and Christmas cash. I was originally planning on a Tmaxx or Revo, but was recently at a Local Hobby Shop and was shown the 4.6 Savage. As I write this I'm 95% convinced I'm gettin the savage, but just wanted a little comparison from folks who know the hobby. What I saw on the Savage is that it is just a super tough design compared to the Traxxas trucks plus the 1/8 scale just makes it all the more cool.. Too cool actually. I'm just planning on bashing and learnig on my 4 acres of private property for the most part. I might take it with me when I go camping in the summer. I am brand new to nitro but I am pretty mechanically inclined with real cars, and somewhat with 2 stroke engines so I do know some about how to tune and set the carb. When I was looking for a Traxxas truck I was looking used but will probably buy new as far as the Savage. I do notice there are definitely more Traxxas trucks for sale used than HPI, so that does tell me something. THanks in advance!

My choice would definately be the Savage! Especially since you are planning on bashing, the Savage is one tough rig! Forget the T-Maxx, until you drop a wad of cash in them they are no where near as tough as a Savage.

The Savage is a tough truck as you stated. It would be a good first truck for someone with some mechanical ability. Go for it.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I am planning on ordering online everything except for fuel. My local hobby shop that sells Savage is like 80 miles away and aren't very nice. They only sell the 5.9 truck and can order the 4.6 truck for like 500 so I won't be shopping there for anything, and fuel I'll be getting at a different shop where they area actually nice and knowledgeable. I've heard fuel cannot be shipped right?

The only thing i know about fuel shipping is that it cannot be shipped by air.....but then, thats just "hearsay"

AS to the savage, yes they are tough trucks. On the other hand, a revo is an option if you are looking to race at a future point in time. With RPM arms on and a Big Block uipgrade, they are intense fun and nippy with it.

A WORD OF ADVISE: If you ever hear the name of "Integy" forget it !! If you are ever tempted to buy an "integy" part, do NOT do it. Integy has NO customer service NO warranty and their parts are a pile of junk.

Those in the know call "Integy" "InterGARBAGE" because that is exactly what it is.

my first truck was a t-maxx i wish i could go back in time i wouldve gotten the savage. I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've dumped into that thing

Well, yes, TMAXX's do need money put into them, Revo's now, that is a LOT different.

I know Revos are well handling trucks but I can't see myself paying $100+ more for a Revo. I guess they do come with more out of the box, but they just look cheap compared to a Savage IMHO. The Savage also looks more like a real truck with the upright shocks, and more of a real frame. The 1/8 scale also puts it in a different category too. The arms that extend out for shock absorbtion on the Revo look like they'd be the first thing to bend or go too.

Revo's are plenty tough. Handling is in a different ballpark than a Savage too. But for general bashing, the Savage line is hard to beat. Just keep in mind that a Savy will drink more fuel than a 1/10 with a small block. That's just par for the coarse with a big, bad ass Mt.

The Revo is actually using the technology used on F1 cars and some real Monster trucks.

I've owned both a revo and savage, never a maxx.

the revo was tough, after a few upgrades like rpm arms. but was nimble, and handled well.

the savage was tougher stock then the upgraded revo. the only time i broke something on it was when i did something stupid, like drive up a tree, or fail a backflip. the savage handles like a cinder block on wheels, but is as tough as one to!

Yeah, what Beason said! I've also owned both Revo and Savage. My Revo was my first and it was fun for bashing on manicured land and rather flat ground. The Savage on the other hand is fun anywhere. It is definitely a little worse handling but IMO is the "best bang for the buck".

I've owned both a revo and savage, never a maxx.

the revo was tough, after a few upgrades like rpm arms. but was nimble, and handled well.

the savage was tougher stock then the upgraded revo. the only time i broke something on it was when i did something stupid, like drive up a tree, or fail a backflip. the savage handles like a cinder block on wheels, but is as tough as one to!

I've seen Beason's video of his Savage driving up a tree! He's not kidding when he says it's tough, he's the proof of it!

Of course, if you can really handle driving a MT, you don't break parts like Beason does, so I drive a Revo....:p:

(J/K, Beason!)

i have only been in rc for 9 mo. i have two traxxas trucks. dont have any other brands. so all can say is traxxas trucks are $350-$400 trucks they are NOT $600-$800 trucks. how ever if you can dodge the posts, doing 30 mph, in the parking lot youll do ok

Thanks for all the insight guys. I'll be ordering the Savage tomorrow. No need for parking lots. I have 4 acres of land, and I have a tractor to make me some nice little ramps and maybe a little track. I also have lots of nice foothills and arroyos nearby on public lands where I can tear it up. Thanks.

I was actually looking at the Savage SS build your own, but ends up being more expensive because it doesn't come with a radio or electronics, but putting it together myself does appeal to me so I could learn more, but my budget won't allow having to buy the electronics and radio.

the bigest advantage you have is being able to bash on your own land, you wont have someone come around and run you off.

Oh aint that the truth !!!! UYour one lucky fella for having four acres to run on.

I hate being "run out" from bashing, especially by kids looking to steal my rig !

Round my way, you have to watch your back. I already lost one rig, not happening again.

anyone that seems "too interested" is a signal to get gone. sad really.

Okay, this is my first post and I am brand new to RC. I've always wanted a nitro monster truck and I finally have saved some b-day and Christmas cash. I was originally planning on a Tmaxx or Revo, but was recently at a Local Hobby Shop and was shown the 4.6 Savage. As I write this I'm 95% convinced I'm gettin the savage, but just wanted a little comparison from folks who know the hobby. What I saw on the Savage is that it is just a super tough design compared to the Traxxas trucks plus the 1/8 scale just makes it all the more cool.. Too cool actually. I'm just planning on bashing and learnig on my 4 acres of private property for the most part. I might take it with me when I go camping in the summer. I am brand new to nitro but I am pretty mechanically inclined with real cars, and somewhat with 2 stroke engines so I do know some about how to tune and set the carb. When I was looking for a Traxxas truck I was looking used but will probably buy new as far as the Savage. I do notice there are definitely more Traxxas trucks for sale used than HPI, so that does tell me something. THanks in advance!

My opinion since it will be your first truck I will go with the HPI Savage. The savage will take a beating. But if your more of a easy driver and want something alittle faster Get the Traxxas Revo. But if were you I would buy the savage and then next time you buy a truck buy a Revo. I am more of a HPI guy. But I love the Traxxas Revos. But its all on your opinion if you wanna be fast or you wanna be the one to have a truck that will take a hard beating.

Back