Help no brakes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I am called clueless because i realy am. I just got my first nitro car 3 days ago and i am still following the break in proccess, I was just cruiseing around and realised i had no brakes !!!!!. I have looked at the car but realy dont have any idea what i am looking for. I know when i pull the brakes on the pads grip the metal thingy and stop the props from turning but i can still push the car easliy. I know when i got it even with the engine off if i put the brakes on i couldnt push it.

Someone please help (I need brakes because i can't drive it properly yet and that is my last line of defence)

pics?? what kinda car?? we need more info buddy.. oh and welcome to rcnt!!!!!

First, we need to know what car you have. That will give us an idea of what the drivetrain looks like.
Secondly, you're saying that even if you manually apply the brakes, the disc will pinch and keep the driveshafts from turning, but the car still rolls easily?

Thanks for the quick reply Candyman.

I have a condor pro, and yes i can see the pads grip the disk, When i use the controller to brake.

Hi again,

I have just been to try and get more info for you. When I apply the brake it also stops the spur gear (i think thats what its called) from turning. If fact the only things that move are the drive shafts connected to the front and back wheels. all the stuff in the middle is still.

Thank you,

I have a condor pro i dont know if its well known over there. I have just been to try and get more info for you. When I apply the brake it also stops the spur gear (i think thats what its called) from turning. If fact the only things that move are the drive shafts connected to the front and back wheels. all the stuff in the middle is still.

The pads are held up by 2 screws right, one on the left and right of the pads
If they are then all you have to do is tighten them, tighten them just abit and make sure you tighten them evenly and see if the brakes work.

I know this is going to start to sound a bit confusing, but the drive shafts that are turning are the ones that go from the differentials to the wheels? Or from the spur gear to the differentials?

From the diffs to the wheels

Tarant Thanks

the pads our held in by two screws both on the same side. on the opposite side a little ram comes out when i brake and squeezes the pads together. this is ok as it stops the disk from spinning.

it may stop the disk but does it stop you car. 2 test if it does turn on you reciver and tramsmitter and push your car across the floor and then hit the brakes it should stop the car quickly.

You need to check the trim knob on the radio first. If it's been raised for throttle, there will be less brakes. You need to adjust both the idle and the brakes with the mechanical adjustments before you mess with the trim knob.
When you push the trigger for brakes, see if the servo moves past center to apply them. If it does, you need to mechanically adjust the linkage to have them engage sooner.

Help no brakes ....

..... TURN!!!! TUUUUUUUUURRRRRRN!!!!!! :D

Get out the manual and listen up to deze guys here, they'll help you out, welcome aboard! :D

The problem could also be in your TX End Point settings, If you have a digital radio, check all of the settings that affect the brakes and servo end points. If the radio will give you full travel and you still don't have brakes with it not running, then you need to do mechanical adjustments until you get it working. If the spur gear is stopping but the rest of the drive train isn't then it could be in your slipper clutch or ball diff's. Check all of your adjustments.

clueless said:
a little ram comes out when i brake and squeezes the pads together. this is ok as it stops the disk from spinning.
If that disc stops, but the wheels don't, you might have stripped out the center of it. Check that first. See if it spins when you turn it, or if it turns the rest of the drive train.

Just an idea... but..

When i was breaking in my second maxx, i stripped out the brake disk. I hit the brakes (too hard obviously) and it stripped it out on the inside.
If the disc is stopped, but the car is still rolling, check to make sure the disc is not stripped.

adrian

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replys, I have checked everything you have mentioned but I'm still confused. The brakes look like they are working fine. when i apply them it stops the disk which does stop the props turning front and back, and sthe spur gears. It just doesn't stop the drive shafts that go from the diff to the wheels. Do the diffs have anything to do with breaking? If so why would it affect front and back at the same time.

Oh and another thing I have just taken it out and it moves but only just. i changed the clutch on the engine with the metal one i got in the box but it still sounds like its slipping. the engine rev ok but the car only just moves. Angain its turning the props from the supr gear to the diffs but the drive shafts from the diffs to the wheels move but with very little power. Do you think it could be a problem with the diffs.

If i lift the car up and spin the left front wheel it turns the prop shaft, if i spin the right front wheel it doesn't turn the prop. and the same with the back, if it turn the right rear wheel it turns the prop and if i spin the left rear wheel it doesn't. Is this normal.

Back