GS Storm Buggy Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am absolutely APPALLED that the gentleman at your LHS told you that. He should know better. You have to break in any new engine. The fact that u havnt been driving it at very high rpm's will help, but if thats the case i would recommend the below break in proceedure now. it will only take about 45 minutes.

=========================
standard breakin proceedures would be as follows:

- start first tank of fuel with engine as rich as it can be without stalling. usually in the range of 3 turns out on the HSN. run the vehicle with the body off, on pavement, and 1/4-1/2 throttle only.
- Repeat for second tank of fuel.
- Third tank - keep needle valves the same, but begin to give a lil more throttle in short bursts.
- fourth tank of fuel - lean out the hsn 1/8th turn, and repeat previous steps.
- fifth tank - lean out another 1/8th, and repeat.
- sixth tank - begin to tune for power. make any ISS adjustments.
- seventh through 10th tanks. tune for optimum power.
------------
this may be a lil overkill - but in my last 3 mills, i have done just what i typed, and have had NO problems with any of them!

k ill do that. Thanks a lot. I hope i dont have to drop another $100+ for a new engine.

Quote:
Originally posted by RiceLaxer06
I thought since it was rtr that it was broken in for me already???

awww poop. are u serious? If you are, then this is your major problem.

The engine needs to be broken in properly, or it will be permanently damaged. Please click on the Newbie Thread in the General nitro section, and scroll down to the break in proceedures. this is what you should have done.

--[signature]----------------
Everytime You Post Something Stupid, God Kills a Kitten.

HOW MANY KITTENS DIED after this post?:hammer:

Buckeye are u kidding me. U just copied what Nitroaddict said like ten posts ago. This might have just been attributed to the fact that you didnt read the entire thread, but it is exactly the same post, even down to the copied sig.

Dont get me wrong, i appreciate it if u can offer me something new, but dont just rip someone else off, especially an influential member!!

Last edited:
LOL - Rice - while i thank you for the compliment - i am not a staff member, just been here a long time, and made a lot of posts, and alot of friends. Thanks though.

haha, i looked at stiff quickly and thought it was staff. some guy is being an idiot tho. I'm midway through redoing my break-in.

I'm a little uneasy about the amount of fuel coming out with the exhaust, but my storm is running better now.

Hopefully my mom will let me run it more than 30 minutes today. She says it gives her a headache. My dad offered to help me buy a new pipe thats quieter. Any ideas? i want to sneak in more performance but still reduce the noise. I wont be shopping for it until at least next week though, gotta get the car working first.

Last edited:
rice - not to worry - that amount of fuel is normal - remember, a 2 stroke gets its oil from the fuel - so this is good for the engine. just keep following the directions i gave ya.

as for a quiter pipe - i feel your pain, check with RobH, he has a pipe on his buggy that is extremely quite.

the Nova rossi pipe is also quite, and a great performer, but a lil pricey

what would the price range on that novarossi pipe be?

about 130.00

u can get it at nitrohouse.com

cool, ill have to come up with a convincing story, but I'm good at that.

I ran about a tank and a half through my buggy today. I would have tried to run longer but my neighbors stupid kids go to bed at 730, grrr. i ran at about 1/4 throttle for most of it. I tried revving up to half, but the engine gurgled a bit and i let off the gas. I'm hoping this is just because it is running really rich, not cause i screwed up the engine. I've read that this is normal though.

As soon as i get a new temp gun ill give u a temp reading. Mine started taking room temp as 470 degrees so i decided to spend more than $10 this time.

o yea, the guy at my lhs said that he made a mistake and said he would credit me $150 towards a new engine if anything happened because of the mistake. So i am happy about that.

off to radioshack for the new temp gun, cya.

I'm hoping this is just because it is running really rich, not cause i screwed up the engine. I've read that this is normal though.

it is normal, u are correct.

o yea, the guy at my lhs said that he made a mistake and said he would credit me $150 towards a new engine if anything happened because of the mistake. So i am happy about that.

LOL - great! lean it out, and run it at full throttle with the wheels off the ground - that should blow it up in about 30 seconds! lol.

haha, maybe i will. To bad my lhs is 45 minutes away and he'd have to order the engine for me. Too much of a wait. Considering that this enging looks and acts ok now, i think ill just continue with it.
:cheers:
Rice

yeah - i would too, i was just kidding. congrats on him admitting his mistake though

alwright now I'm extremely pissed off. I get home at about 5:30 today and go outside to run my storm in my driveway. I run it for about 2 hours. At about 6:55 though, my neighbor comes out and says she puts her kids to bed at 7ish. I told her id be happy to turn it off. I only have a bit of fuel left and tell her that ill just be another few minutes while i run out the fumes. 5 minutes later, she comes stomping out of her house(about 20 seconds after the engine shuts off) and proceeds to say

"Andrew, if u dont shut that damn thing off, i will call the police on you. I told you before, i want that thing off at 7 (it wasn't even 7:01 yet) i thought you got the idea, and you were polite, but obviously i was wrong."

Any ideas on the laws around this tho?

I think legally you are in the right, as long as it doesn't exceed state or local DB levels regarding noise pollution. However, your homeowners association may have different guidlines. Unfortunatly, inorder to preserve the peace in your community, I would abide by her rules, even though she may be a bitch. I know it sucks, but no reason pissing someone off that u live right next to. How old are you?

People hated me because the stock Storm pipe was so loud, plus it robs performance. Get a 2 chamber pipe with a baffel it will make it faster and quieter, trust me. :read:

alwright now I'm extremely pissed off. I get home at about 5:30 today and go outside to run my storm in my driveway. I run it for about 2 hours. At about 6:55 though, my neighbor comes out and says she puts her kids to bed at 7ish. I told her id be happy to turn it off. I only have a bit of fuel left and tell her that ill just be another few minutes while i run out the fumes. 5 minutes later, she comes stomping out of her house(about 20 seconds after the engine shuts off) and proceeds to say

"Andrew, if u dont shut that damn thing off, i will call the police on you. I told you before, i want that thing off at 7 (it wasn't even 7:01 yet) i thought you got the idea, and you were polite, but obviously i was wrong."

Any ideas on the laws around this tho?

I'm 16, so i can't really argue with her without seeming like a d***. I called the police and asked and I'm allowed to run till 8. i had fun today, my car is running at 210 degrees, so i figured that that is good for now. Now to tune the lsn. Any tips/suggestions.

What pipe would u recommend humbold?

Last edited:
no it won't... it's for a .12 or .15. go w/ the ofna 063 inline tuned pipe.

L8r,
Garrett

o yeah... btw... i'm buying a REX P5 tomorrow

muahahaha..

L8r,
Garrett

Last edited:
Back