What the ... am I doing wrong?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooky78

RCNT Window Licker
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, some of y'all know about my Revo project. I should probably update that thread. ..

Anyhow, this thing... it's been sealed, I found the thread from the fella at ERCM, I've forgotten his name. The thing sounds great, for a small block. Good smoke trail, sounds like it should, at WOT, you snap it closed it settles right back down. No hesitation off the bottom, seems to run fairly well. But it has crap for power. I've never gotten a wheelie outta this ting. And the temp... Criminy... today was mid 60s so the temp was around 260. Higher than I'd like, but I can live with it. Now the last time I had it out, I wound up running game it so pig rich I had fuel coming out the pipe because I couldn't keep it under 300 and I saw 400. New fuel line. New tank, engine sealed, new clutch shoes, new bearing throughout, trans has been disassembled and cleaned. 15/38 gearing, diffs have been disassembled, cleaned and greased and filled with 60k. Traxxas dual chamber "Resonantor" (I have the factory blue pipe) new clutch shoes and spring, HD slipper pads (locked down looking for a wheelie) Traxxas plug...

Am I expecting too much out of this thing?
The T-Maxx I gave my brother is a beast. Wheelies for days, donuts, whatever. Even the nitro slash I had (shoulda kept it) had decent power. I guess I'm gonna gear the snot out of it. I have another engine I might try. That don't get it, this thing will be under the knife. Either a true big block or a Mamba.

You could go down a couple of teeth on the clutch bell ,top end will hurt a little ,
but you should gain some punch for a wheel dance!..:cool:

That's what I'm planning @cbaker65 . I'm going tomorrow to get a 40t spur, and I'll have them order me a 14t CB. But you'd think a mostly stock Revo would wheelie. It's even got stock bumpers and stock arms on 3 corners.

That's what I'm planning @cbaker65 . I'm going tomorrow to get a 40t spur, and I'll have them order me a 14t CB. But you'd think a mostly stock Revo would wheelie. It's even got stock bumpers and stock arms on 3 corners.

My mgt use to wheely like a mad man ,but I think I put a 20 t bell on ,it wont even pop one
wheel up ,It probably would though If I leaned it out a little bit more though ,I just don't need
no more heat for a wheely.

I'm not sure how strong the 3.3 is ,but I know the Ofna 21 hyper would not lift the will on an
mgt,
The revo must be much lighter!

Yeah I'm going to gear up my Savage, I'm having a hard time with the "driver mod" making it land in the lid.

I never got a wheelie either, is the 3.3 suppose to wheelie a 12lb truck? I have always had the suspension set to squat, maybe if I stiffened the suspension so it won't squat it may wheelie, mine mostly squats and spins, I couldn't get enough grip for it to wheelie. I really do not want wheelies anyway but was intrigued by your post.

@Tape that's what I want to know.
I suppose I should go through my suspension setup. Somebody, please, if you see one of those "wtf is he doing?" Spots, tell me. I'm shooting from the hip on this thing.
All roll center pins are in the lower hole.
P2 rockers with TRX aluminum pushrods that say "P1, P2, LT" on them.
Pushrods in inside holes.
3 caster spacer in front of the upper arm, 1 behind.
Blue Springs rear, Silver fronts.
47.5 weight oil.
Hard coated shocks with the Ti-Ni shafts.
Preload spacers at about 1/4 of the total travel.
I think that's it... if there's more adjustment than alignment, I forget, I'll have to look.

I should add I set the suspension up looking for maximum down travel...

Revos are not really "Wheelie" machines so you're expecting a little much from it. They are built low and wide for handling.
Often overlooked is the LSN when an engine overheats. You want a good punch off the line and nothing more. Running any leaner than that will overheat it even just at idle. Adjusting the HSN will not always do anything to lower the temps if it's the LSN causing the problem and then, only the WOT will suffer.

Thanks @Rolex that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I'll check the LSN again.

Rook, I'm thinking about getting a LRP ZR (xx) not sure which one yet but I'm sure some wheelies will be a problem, I haven't seen anyone put a front air damage on their Revo's but I'm thinking about doing an air dam & splitter, I really think it will keep the nose down, what do you think?

Last edited:
Cb, that motor's just a little bit stronger than the 3.3 is it not?

@Raging Revo let me know how you get that LRP mounted in a Revo. The New Era mount isn't available any more, so...

Rook, I will do, I've read others using the Traxxas BB conversation, we'll see.

Rook, I will do, I've read others using the Traxxas BB conversation, we'll see.

Seen this on flea bay ,its the traxxas b-block conversion engine mount ,its only about 18 bucks!...:cool:

s_l2259_TTG62_U1.jpg

image sharing sites

Back